Ovarian Cysts Community
cysts causing hormone problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

cysts causing hormone problems?

I have suffered painful cysts for seven years my question is can they affect your moods/hormones, my partner has noticed a difference in my mood in a negative way, I have started taking Citalapram to stable my moods and i do feel better my doctor said he doubts my moods are connected to the cysts, yet I think thet are any comments?
I wondered that too
Before I had my cyst removed I was getting increasingly snappy and crying all the time.
Since my op the crying has mainly stopped and the moods so far havent been as bad
Do you have PCOS or irregular periods?  That throws our hormones out of balance too.  Mine were like that before and after surgery because I still don't get my period so I never noticed if it was because of my cysts or just my absent period.  They probably do.  Anything affecting your ovaries, in my opinion, will throw off your hormones.  Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
My periods stayed regular when I had my cysts but the PMS symptoms were intensified, even when I wasn't due for my period.  I thought my boobs were going to explode!  Yes, they can play havoc and can even affect some women's fertility while the cyst exists.
thanks for the comments. x
I totally agree. My moods were awful, I was sooo tired and my thyroid levels and antibodies were going crazy.

I kept asking if it was all related and all my docs deny it but I really think it is.

Also - I was on Ortho for years, then switched to Levlen (lower hormone level to stabilize my moods a little better). A month after being on Levlen, this cyst started to grow and grow and grow. I switched back to Ortho for other reasons (my skin was bad on Levlen). About a month after switching back to Ortho, my cyst burst and dissappeared and I haven't had any other problems since. I swear the timing is just too weird but my family doc says it wouldn't be related. What do you guys think? Does anyone else have a similar story?
I had the same problem.  I had my hormone levels checked and they were WAY out of wack.  I had a 14cm ovarian tumor and after removed, everything is already leveling out.  SO...I would say YES, that does effect it!!  :)  Good luck sweetie!!  :)