Ovarian Cysts Community
scar tissue?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

scar tissue?

Hello all...

I had emergency surgery in August to remove two 10 cm dermoid cysts and my ovaries and tubes. One of the cysts had burst causing tremendous pain. Anyway, during surgery, they discovered that my intestines were fused to my ovary, so they had to call in another surgeon to release my intestine and to make sure all was okay. My GYN told me the next day that she would have done a complete hysterectomy, since she was removing both ovaries and tubes, but there was so much scar tissue that she couldn't get in there and she didn't want to disturb anything more than she had to, since they already had to work on my intestines a bit... she asked me if I had had any previous surgeries or anything, which I have not... Has anyone else heard of this? Does anyone know what could cause all that scar tissue in there?? Could it be from another cyst leak or rupture that was never treated? (Now that I have been through this I realize that I had similar pain a year ago that went away after 2 days, and wasn't as bad)... my cysts were never detected at my routine pap tests so I never knew they were in there...

Hope all is well with you all... I am at week 10 after surgery and feeling so much better... well, except for the "change" .. surgical menopause which is so much fun!!! :) ACK!

Hi there.  I'm so glad you are feeling better.  I, too, feel better than I can remember since my surgery.  Because of all the previous intestinal surgeries and ectopic pregnancy surgeries I had my gyn took a general surgeon in with him for mine as he was afraid of hurting my intestinal area.  Because of the risks I asked them to perform a complete hysterectomy so I would not have to face further surgery down the line.  Unfortunately the adhesions and scar tissue were so bad that all my internal organs are glued together.  It took them 3 hours to remove the cysts, right ovary and tub and they felt it would be too risky to try more.  

For you, it is possible that endometriosis can cause adhesions.  I haven't heard of ruptured cysts doing so but that does make sense to me.

On the health pages (top right) is an article written by one of our ladies, Mary, who found a way to eliminate the adhesions in her body using ball rolling.  It is labelled help for surgical adhesions.  I had my surgery in June and am now having quite a bit of pain from the adhesions and have started this process.

Thank you Trudie for your response...

The doctor told me at my 3 week check-up that there was no sign of endometriosis, which I thought for sure they would find with all the scar tissue... but no.

Thanks for the heads up on the ball rolling techinique... I will check that out!

Best to you!!
Hey There,
I too just had robotic surgery. I had a hyst/bso/appy for suspicious lesions on my ovaries. I guess from what Im told I had tons of adhesions, cementing all my organs to my rectum....ugh. At any rate, I had never had abdominal surgery before, but I do know I had severe endo amongst the many other things they found. So, Im not really sure how I got those adhesions either unless my endo caused it. I see my surgeon for f/u on Nov 14th, so maybe he will have some insight. Hope you are doing well. I am feeling better everyday. I just HATE surgical menopause....UGH. Can't wait to start on HRT.
Take Care
Laney