Pain Management Community
Severe Joint pain no swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pain management, chronic pain, arthritis, back pain, cancer, headaches, movement disorders pain, and muscle pain.

Severe Joint pain no swelling

Wondering if any one has any ideas. I am 35 and have been suffering from some kind of joint pain sense I was 12. It started in my hands when I was teenager. then at 32 it suddenly exploded. In just a few months I was suffering Knee, ankle, hip, neck, hand and more, There are days I can barely walk. I have been trying to exercise and eat better. Which has helped. But still as of late it has gotten really bad again. I have seen local arthritis doctors as well as a Mayo Doctor they all seem to believe I have Psoriatic arthritis. I have had Psoriasis for as long as I can remeber on and off. I have been on more drugs then I can count to treat the proplems. Most of the drugs have done nothing for me. The Methotrexate helped a little and cleared up the rashes. But I started getting severe migraines from the drug and so I quit it. There was just not enough relief to warrant putting up with migrains. I have had very little swelling to none. I had one doctor acuse me of faking to get pain killers because I have no joint swelling. But my regular doctor believes me because I rarely take pain killers despite the pain and don't refill my prescriptions as often as a I should. I have been told by two doctors I don't mange the pain correctly. I am working to change that but I am very frustrated with things at this point. I hear more and more about others going through the same issues. I am wondering can you really have little to no swelling with psoriatic arthritis??? Does any one know anything?? I quit my rhumatologist after finding out he was doubling up on my drugs but writing he was wondering if I he had the right diagnosis. He never once brought this up to me. I really need some input.
Hi Vatsula,

First I want to welcome you to the Pain Management Forum and let you know that we are glad you found this Forum. I want to let you know that there are NO Doctors on this Forum only CP - Chronic Pain - Patients that help each other with our OWN expertise and experiences that we have developed through our OWN CP Issues.

I'm so very sorry that you are having this HORRENDOUS pain that you are experiencing.   I'm wondering if you asked your Rheumatologist about what he had written?  He MIGHT have had an idea that there might be something else going on?  I'm ONLY asking this because if you think this Rheumatologist is a REALLY good one then I wouldn't be so quick to leave him.  IF you NEVER thought that he was a REALLY good Doctor then I would find another one as FAST as you can!!!!  You MUST have faith and trust in you Doctor's.  I would DEFINITELY ask him WHY he wrote that as it MIGHT help you in your search for a CORRECT diagnosis that you could bring to your NEXT Doctor IF that is what you choose to do.  :)

What you are EXPERIENCING is REAL PAIN!!!  Don't listen to the Doctor's that are accusing you of faking it!  KEEP up your search UNTIL you get your diagnosis and the Doctor that can help you FIGHT your pain!!! Somewhere there is an answer for you BUT you MUST have an ABSOLUTE DIAGNOSIS!!!

Please know that we are here for you as we TRULY care about you and are VERY worried and want you to get the treatment that you so DESPERATELY need.

We are looking forward to your updates............Sherry
Hi Vatsula,

Welcome to the Pain Management Forum. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. I am sorry to hear about your painful, undiagnosed issues. We can relate.

A good doctor/patient relationship must be built on trust. I am not sure where the breakdown in communication came between you and your rheumatologist but it appears to have happened. I understand your distress at learning he was recording one thing and telling you....or not telling you another thing.

If you feel you cannot trust him it is time for a change. I encourage you to start anew...as difficult and frustrating as that always seems to be..... It can bring good changes..... And right now I think you are in need of some good changes. My heart goes out to you.

I don't know what your physicians meant when they said that you, "don't mange the pain correctly." What I do believe is that it's important to work with your physician(s) and follow their treatment, including medication plans to manage your pain.

I am not certain if it is possible to have Psoriatic Arthritis and not have swelling of your joints. It's my understanding that there are five types of that condition. Some obviously produce swelling. They all have different symptoms and some are more serious than others.  Although it is a chronic life-long disease there are treatments. Which Psoriatic Arthritis is your diagnosis?

Please know that you are always welcome here. However I'd like to suggest two other MedHelp Forum's where you may want to post. You may find more information in the following communities. Here's the links:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Arthritis/show/163
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dermatology/show/65

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. It certainly sounds like you have a very difficult row to hoe! We offer our support and hope you will be active in our community.

Best of Luck and Take Care,
~Tuck