Pregnancy 35+ Community
High tsh levels and pregnancy

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

High tsh levels and pregnancy

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and my doctor called me today to say my tsh levels are too high. They are at 4.53. After researching, i've read that it shouldn't be higher than 2.5. I think it might be called hypothyroidism.

Anybody know if this poses risk of miscarriage or pose risk to the baby? I'm worried, i've already had 2 miscarriages and not sure if this was the cause. I can't see my doctor for another 3 weeks!

thanks for the help!
Hello, welcome to this community :)

I am hypothyroid also. My OB checks my TSH every month and recently adjusted my thyroid medication.

As far as your lab values, be very careful about researching the numbers on the web. Every lab has a slightly different range so your lab results may not be comparable to the ranges you read about. My Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests book shows normal range for TSH to be 0.35-5.5...but mentions that each lab has different reference values.

My OB wants to keep my TSH under 3.0 while I am pregnant. I'm not aware of any specific issues with hypothyroid and pregnancy...but thyroid hormones are SO integral to body functioning...I'm sure it doesn't help the MOM to have low thyroid levels...and anything that adversely affects Mom is going to affect Baby.

Thyroid is pretty easy to address. I take my medication first thing in the morning (has to be taken on an empty stomach so have to wait an hour for breakfast). It is a good idea to avoid milk or anything high in calcium within 2 hours of taking (before or after) as calcium interferes with absorption. Your doctor will retest after a few weeks to see if your dose needs adjusting.

I hope this helps!
4.53 is a little high and I am surprised your dr is waiting 3 weeks to see you.  I would insist on starting meds.

My tsh was 3.7 and I started meds to get it down, I wasn't pregnant like you are so I am surprised your dr hasn't started your meds.  I was around 1 for a year and in July it went up to 4.94 so my meds were doubled.  Tsh is important for a healthy pregnancy, and on this site when a girl was over 6, we all told her to get on meds and she did  per our suggestion. Last I knew, she was doing fine with her pregnancy.  You can always go see in endocrinologist instead and let that dr decide your next plan. Good luck!
4.53 is too high! The best is really to be less than 2.5 and ideally around 1.00 when trying to get pregnant. Definitively less than 2.5 when pregnant, the closer to 1, the better.

Unfortunately most doctors really don't know anything about thyroid levels. Take matter in your own hands, don't wait 3 weeks: go see an endocrinologist and make sure he gives you meds and monitor your levels regularly.
4.53 is not terribly high, but it is too high for pregnancy.  Good that it has been detected early.

Target during pregnancy is TSH of around 1.0.

For the best development of your baby and your health you need to be started on thyroid meds asap.

You will need to have your levels checked and meds adjusted monthly throughout your pregnancy.

Best wishes
I have been on thyroid medicine for 8 years for hypothyroidism. I am 21 weeks pregnant with my first and my levels have been around 2.2 for my pregnancy. My doctor hasn't changed my meds and so far, all of the baby's development has been fine. You do need to make sure your levels are monitored through your whole pregnancy though, because all the hormones can throw things off.
Hi Sally,

my wife has hypothyroidism... and she did a blood test in week 12 / 13, and had a result of 11...

we are worried... would you think that would cause a very abnormal baby? erm.. as in deformation, sickness... ?

oh gosh.... :~(
Can anyone help!! Im trying to get pregnant had a full thyroidectomy, and my TSH level is 23, my doctor just upped my dose of synthroid but i still cant seem to get pregnant any advice?
Hi I am six weeks pregnant and my endocrinologist called to tell me that my TSH was 4.75 (I don't remember but it was definitely between 4 and 4.99). I'm starting meds ASAP. Can I still have a healthy, normal baby without my health being jeopardized as well?
Your Dr should refer you out to Endocrinologist asap. I have hypothyroid too. My Dr took over a month to get me to the specialist as well. There is high risk miscarriage and preterm labor. When my tsh was checked it was at 9! Now after medication I'm in normal range. I see the Endo once a month now. Its a miracle you were able to conceive!
Yes, you can have a healthy baby.  You will need thyroid meds and close monitoring, but all can be fine.

I have two healthy children despite being hypothyroid (I was monitored and medicated during the pregnancies).
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers