Low DHEA, Ovarian Cyst, and Hypothyroid – Chances of becoming pregnant?
I am 3 mos away from my 41 birthday and desperately want to have one more baby. I would be so thankful if anyone could shed any light on any or all of the following questions or has had similar experiences:
(1) any tips on becoming pregnant with low DHEA levels, an ovarian cyst and hypothyroid?
(2) What is the least risky (and natural, drug – free if possible) way to increase (and maintain) my dhea as quickly as possible while not reducing my chances of getting pregnant?
(3) Is this likely only an adrenal issue, or could there be a more serious underlying problem?
Below are some details on my situation (I apologize for the long post):
- in June ’08, I had my first baby (at age 39)
- conceived on the first try (when I was 38)
- hemmoraged right after the birth, lost about 1 L of blood, and took 300 mg ferrous glucomate iron supplements till recently (1/day)
- post partum bleeding continued for about 10-11 weeks (till Sept ’08), until I had a cramp so went to ER, and they pulled something out of me that was blocking my cervix (about the size of an egg, either placenta or a blood clot – but didn’t biopsy it). A d&C was discussed but I tried antibiotics first to see if they cleared up the bleeding. TSH at this time was 1.28, which is normal for me.
- bleeding stopped after antibiotics were taken, and subsequent u/s said no retained products
- Jan 09 – had a regular physical and TSH was 14.39. My mom has hashimoto’s and takes Synthroid.
- I started taking kelp and thyroid px (herbal thyroid support), and progesterone cream (from compounding pharmacy) and as of one week ago, my tsh is now 4.23, fsh is 3. I’m still taking the kelp, thyroid px and progesterone cream.
- In March, my DHEA was 1.2, so I started taking .25 of DHEA. At the beginning of May (after about wks on DHEA), my DHEA was 7.
- I stopped taking DHEA at the end of May ’07 when a 3 cm simple cyst was found on my left ovary and free fluid in my pelvis (I went for an u/s after having irregular periods for a couple of months)
- Now, as of a week ago, my dhea is 1.0! Too Low, and I don’t know if I should start taking it again or not. I live where DHEA is banned, but I have no idea why, and it’s hard to get medical advice on it.
You provided a wealth in information - I would love to have a physician look at this.
You delivered just about a year ago & you're ttc? There are lots of useful information about DHEA and fertility - google it and you'll come up w/a lots of links that you'll want to investigate.
With all of these issues, I think you should post this on the related expert forum towards the bottom of the page. I believe MedHelp charges $22 to post a question but it would be worth it to get a professional opinion - good luck! - jen
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.