Pregnancy: March 2010 Babies Community
Sleep Position while preggo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy, childbirth and maternity for babies due or born in March 2010.

Sleep Position while preggo

so ive always liked to sleep on my stomach but as i continue to grow it gets uncomfortable. so i started to sleep on my back because i cant seem to get comfortable sleeping on my sides anymore. i read in one of my pregnancy books that its not good to sleep on my back because of the way the uterus will grow. but everytime i wake up in the middle of the night im on my back. im involuntarily rolling over. does anyone know if its really that bad to sleep on ur back while pregnant. and have any advice on keeping myself in the same position all night other then those really expensive pregnancy pillows. me n hubby share a queen size bed and theres not much room for extra pillows.
Well for me its feels better to sleep on my left side. I too sometimes wake up in the middle of the night on my back. I just turn on my side and go back to sleep. I also have a body pillow I put between my knees, you can also use a regular pillow.
I think a bit later in pregnancy laying on your back will put too much pressure on your organs or something like that.  I too was a stomach sleeper and have gotten used to sleeping on my side by hugging a pillow at my side.  It does take some time to get used to and my husband had to move over closer to the edge to fit into our Queen size bed!  I also read that there is one side you are supposed to sleep on and not the other, but I can't remember which side or why.
I sleep on my back and prop a body pillow under my right side so that I'm kinda leaning to the left side. This seems to be the most I can lean to the left without staying awake all night long. Hope its fine :)
saw your comment about not being sure which side it is - its the left. i will have to look up in my book again to rememeber exactly why but it has something to do with nerves, blood flow etc, similar to why sleeping on your back isnt a good idea either.

i usually slept on my stomach and back too and ive been trying to get comfortable sleeping on my left side though am more comfy on my right. i use one pillow behind my back and one between my legs to keep me from rolling to my back or my right side. it seems to help.
I know since I replied to this post I haven't been able to sleep right. I'm tired of sleeping on my left side and it goes numb and I wake up. I mean goodness what are we suppose to do. I toss and turn all night. I know the left is the best side but I might as well sit in a chair and go to sleep.