STDs Expert Forum
Are my symptoms akin to STD
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Are my symptoms akin to STD

Hello Doc,

On the 12th of Feb I visited a CSW. We engaged in protected sexual intercourse but I performed unprotected cunnilingus on her. 5 days later I started to feel a very mucuosy throat/chest which I had to clear my throat regularly. For the last 4-5 weeks ive had irritation of my throat. I have to clear it most times after I eat or even talk. I would get short tingles of pain lasting a few seconds sometimes throughout the day around my throat area.  Last 2 weeks ive had a dry cough. Last few days my chest has felt very heavy, as if the infection is spreading to my chest. I have no pain when swallowing.

Now I immediately thought HIV and panicked. I took a HIV DUO test at 29 days after exposure which came back negative.  I have had hepatitis B and syphilis negative results from this same blood test. I also had negative results from oral swab gonarrehea and chlamydia. Basically I have 2 questions:

1) From what I've read, the symptoms im experiencing IF they are due to my oral exposure seems most similar to HIV. Since I tested negative,  can I be sure to rule this out?

2) Are there any other STDs that when transmitted orally could disrupt the throat this way? Im currently taking penicillin prescribed from my doc who suspects my problem may be an bacterial infection. I just want to make sure I can rule out any oral sex std before I tell my parents.

Thanks
300980_tn?1194933000
Welcome to our Forum.  I'm glad you asked your doctor about these symptoms- that was the right thing to do.  Interestingly, when people get STI infections of the throat, they are usually asymptomatic.  STIs following performance of oral sex on a partner are uncommon.  In your case, your symptoms are more consistent with a respiratory tract infection than anything else.

Further your negative oral swab tests prove you do not have gonorrhea or chlamydia of the throat and your DUO test at 29 days prove that you did not get HIV from the exposure you mention.  Your results are conclusive and you do not need more testing.  Be confident that your present illness is not an STI.

I hope these comments are helpful.  EWH
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers