STDs Expert Forum
Burning sensation in genital area and thighs

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

It's been 15 days since I had sex with a new person with a condom.  Within the hour after sex, i started feeling itchy all over the genital area.  The itching persists until this day, but has subsided for the most part.  Now I feel more of a burning sensation on both sides of my inner, upper thighs near the genitals and occasionally on the shaft of my penis and scrotum.  It feels warm for a minute or so, than goes away.  Same happens on my thighs and rest of the body parts mentioned.  One night it's on the left, the other it's on the right.  Last night, I felt the burning sensation on my left thigh as I was watching television and I decided to go to the bathroom to check it out.  As I looked, I noticed one small red circular bump, which was where my burning sensation had been occuring at that time.  It doesn't look like a hair follicle problem. This red bump looks like a bug bite, but it was giving me a burning sensation and when I rubbed it, it got more red and visible.  When I woke up this morning, the bump had improved, but not dissappeared.  It was more of the color of my skin and harder to see, but when I rubbed on it with my fingers again to see if it was painful, it stung a little and got red again.  I've heard that Herpes comes in clusters of little bumps, but if this is not likely to be Herpes, what else can it be and how can I treat it?  Also, since it's only been two weeks since I was exposed, can this burning sensation all over be a sign of an upcoming Herpes outbreak?  Can I rule out Herpes this early or not?  My genitals look normal and when I touch the skin, it feels normal, but the burning still persists.  I have not had any other symptoms other than itching and burning.  No fever, no blisters.  However, on occasion, I feel a mild ache in my two joints near my genitals, but feels deep inside and is like a cold feeling which is brief.  I don't know if this is related.  What are your thoughts?

Welcome to the STD forum.

There are two main reasons you can be sure that neither herpes nor any other STD is the cause of your symptoms.  First, no infection of any kind -- whether colds, flu, herpes, or any STD -- can possibly start to cause symptoms within an hour.  36-48 hours is the minimum.  Second, neither herpes nor any other STD causes itching, burning sensations of the skin, nor on and off joint aching.  These simply are not plausible explanations.

You might have read websites or other information that lists itching and burning as herpes symptoms.  However, that only means that herpes sores sometimes burn or itch.  Herpes does not cause itching or burning alone.

So the answer to your question is yes, you definitely can rule our herpes as a cause of your itching.  If the problem continues, see a health care provider to learn the cause.  But you can put herpes and other STDs out of your mind.

Good luck--  HHH, MD