STDs Expert Forum
Can herpes red bumps go away in less than a week?
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can herpes red bumps go away in less than a week?

I had protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex with a woman about 3 weeks ago.  I also had sex with a different woman (protected vaginal and unprotected oral) about a week ago.  The day after I had sex with the second woman I noticed chafing around the base of my penises with a few little pimple looking things.  I also had what looked like carpet burn near the tip of my penis with two little zit like looking bumps.

I think that it was too soon after the second sexual encounter to have contracted any STDs but I am concerned that the first encounter (two weeks before side effects appeared) might have been the problem.  The "carpet burn" and one of the small zit looking bumps went away within two days of appearing.  The second bump lasted about 4 days.

I went into the doctor yesterday who looked at the second bump on the tip of my penis that had now dried out and looked like a dark red spot (about the size of a normal zit; nothing huge) and said it might be herpes.  He sent me to the dermatologist.  The dermatologist said it was probably just do to rough sex the weekend before.  He also said the dry skin at the base looked like a yeast infection.

I am very worried now.  I will have to wait a few weeks to take a blood test.  I have a few questions.  Can herpes bumps (presumably the 1st occurance) go away in 4-5 days?  I used a condom for vaginal sex.  Since the red bumps appeared on the top of the shaft where the condom covers, is it still possible to transmit the disease through the condom to this area?  The bumps usually show up where the virus entered the body right?  I also had slight pain in the pelvic area the day after I had sex with the first woman but attributed it (once again) to rough sex.  Is soreness in that area the day after sex a possible sign of herpes?