STDs Expert Forum
Glycoprotein Deficient Strain of Herpes
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Glycoprotein Deficient Strain of Herpes

Hi,

I was exposed to herpes 2 months ago. Since then I have been blood tested 1 day after exposure, 4 weeks after, and 10 weeks after...all using herpeSelect tests, all negative for HSV-1 and HSV-2. however, I have had herpes symptoms occuring a week after exposure til the present, including leg and inner thigh nerve pain, genital burning, genital soreness, and a recurring crack in the same place on my perineum (3 times). I had the cut cultured the first time, which was 2 days after it appeared, it came back negative. Since then, I have been refused cultures since my blood tests have come negative. However, all of these symptoms suggest herpes, but my blood tests are negative. I saw a statistic that 5-10% of people are infected with a glycoprotein deficient strain of herpes and therefore will never test postive using protein G dependent blood tests. Do you know anything about this? B/c it might help me figure out why i have all theese herpes symptoms after sleeping with someone with herpes, but having negative blood tests.  Thank you!