STDs Expert Forum
Left Testicle/Left Transverse Abdominal muscle pain

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello, I am a concerned wife needing some advice if at all possible :) Several months back, my husband started complaining of pain in his testicles and that there was visible bruising. The left testicle was swollen and black and blue in color.  He or I had no recollection of an injury or anything else that could have happened to cause this.  The pain got so bad one night and I feared there was twisting so I brought him into the ER where they did an ultrasound and CT scan as well, all coming back clear and healthy.  We were referred to a urologist who told us she suspected inflammation in the main vein running along the posterior side of the testicle and to monitor swelling and bruising and "should go away".  It has been 5 months since the appointment and pain is not only in the left testicle, but now the right and he also complains of bad soreness like a pulled muscle along his left side across the abdomen down to the groin....usually all on the left side.  I'm extremely concerned that he is living with this everyday and has learned to just live through it because that is not ok.  I buy expensive briefs for him to hold them in place so they do not hang, which makes it painful.  Any advice anyone can give me on the next step or what we could be dealing with here? I don't know whether I need to see our family practitioner again or get another opinion from another urologist or if this could be something more serious? If I can get some direction then I would greatly appreciate it :)
Welcome to the forum.  Your question is articulate, and I understand your concern.

Unfortunately, this is strictly an STD forum, not a venue to diagnose gential (genital) symptoms apart from those related to STD.  You don't say anything to suggest that you or your husband has had any STD diagnosed, or that either of you may have been at risk because of other sexual partnerships.  But even if the STD risk were high, I doubt that's the problem.  
The symptoms you describe, especially lasting so long, are not really suggestive of an STD problem.  I would wonder about a hernia, or perhaps a prostate gland problem.

If in fact there are reasons to suspect an STD, please lay them out and I may have other comments.  But based on the information you have provided, all I can suggest is that he continue to work with his doctors, especially the urologist.  In the meantime, I wouldn't be overly worried.  This sounds like an issue of comfort, but probably no serious health problem.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD