STDs Expert Forum
Mycoplasma??
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Mycoplasma??

About a month ago I had sex with a stripper in her late 30's.  I started with a condom but when I finished, very short experience, I didn't have a condom on.  I am not sure if it slipped off during sex or when I pulled out.  Two days later I had a painful ejaculation and for the next few days I had a burning sensation in my penis, not during urination though.  I was tested for chlamydia, ghonorrea, syphillis (syphilis), and herpes on day 5.  All came back negative but there was bacteria in my urine.  My burning sensation had started to subside but my doctor put my on Cipro for a possible infection.  About 10 days after the sex my testicles started to hurt, a pain that was strong enough to be felt in my lower back/abdomen as well.  My doctor gave me a 1g dose of Azithromyacin and referred me to a urologist for the testicular pain.  By the time I saw him it was almost 3 weeks after the sex exposure and I finsished my 2 week course of Cipro.  He looked at my urine but he said there wasn't any bacteria in it.  He put me on a two week course of Erythromycin (500 mg, 2 daily) for a possible mycoplasma infection.  I have now been on the Erythro for 10 days and have seen no improvement of the testicluar pain but it is my only symptom left.  However, my pain was the worst a few days ago but it improved when I ejaculated (no pain with the ejaculation, first one since the sex).  I am now getting an scrotal ultrasound to look for swelling because my urologist said testing for mycoplasma is very difficult.  I have a few questions.  One, is there a reliable test for mycoplasma genitallium?  Does it sound like something that could be Mycoplasma?  I found one test at LabCorp that tested for mycoplasma hominis, ureaplasma, and mycplasma T-strain, is that the test?  I live in Chicago so I find it hard to believe that I can't find someone to test me for Mycoplasma genitallium.  Also, I know Herpes 2 can take a while to show up, how long should I wait to retest?