STDs Expert Forum
Staphylococcus haemolyticus

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Staphylococcus haemolyticus

Dear Dr. HHH,

I am a 28 year old male and I received very brief (< 1 minute) unprotected oral sex 10 weeks ago. Sparing the details, I am unable to ask the person about their health status. I have had no symptoms but am still dealing with anxiety. Your forum posts have been a help to me and I thank you for that.

I am aware that I have herpes from testing earlier in my life. Now, at 6 weeks after this exposure, I had a urethra swab and semen analysis. Results were negative for chlamydia and negative for gonorrhea.  However, staphylococcus haemolyticus was found via the semen analysis. Two daily tablets of Ciprobay 500 for two weeks was prescribed and taken. My questions are:

1) Could staphylococcus haemolyticus have been transmitted either from the described exposure or through unprotected vaginal sex?

2) Do you believe the medication taken will have eliminated this infection?

3) Is this a series disease?

4) Do you believe syphilis/HIV testing is necessary?

Thank you very much for your time.
Welcome to our Forum. Dr. Handsfield and I share the site and answer questions interchangeably depending on our availability.  I will be answering your question today.  

Before I answer your question, I find myself wondering why you had a semen analysis.   This certainly is not a usual part of a work-up for STI.  Irrespective however, Staphylococcus haemolyticus is a bacterium which is normally present on human skin and is not a typical pathogen.  It certainly is not considered an STI.  When it is found in culture, it is usually the result of contamination of the culture by skin organisms which are normally present on body surfaces.  If this is a contaminate, typically there would not be a reason to treat it.  

Most unlikely

Treatment is not needed for contaminated cultures. Perhaps your doctor has some other reason for treating this however if this were the only abnormal test result you had, I doubt that I would treat it.

3) Is this a series disease?
See above.  I doubt that it represents infection at all.

Not if your only exposure was receipt of oral sex.  

I hope these comments are helpful.  EWH