STDs Expert Forum
Treatment of Chlamydia and Gonnorhea(Gonorrhea) working?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Here is the story - I had unprotected sex with my partner at the end of Nov05 (who assures me he is clean, and I trust him).  I gave/received oral sex (but only briefly, no ejaculation on either part) with a guy I met online at the beginning of Dec.  I then received oral sex from another guy that I met online (middle of Dec).  

About a week after that last encounter I started feeling a pain inside the head of my penis, and like its rather cold. No pain during urination, just the pain.  It frequently feels like there is discharge/dripping, but I always check right when it happens and have seen nothing, nor really felt anything unusually wet. Once yesterday I found a few drops of clear something, but that could have been because I had just gone to the bathroom.  

I went to the doctor a week ago and he swabbed for Chlamydia and Gonnorhea (Gonorrhea), but the test came back inconclusive due to the tube the swab was in or something.  However, he said based on my sexual history (I also had crabs about 5 months ago) he would treat me.  I got a shot of Ceftriaxone 125 mg IM single dose at the doctors office, and have been on Doxycycline 100mg capsules since (today is my last of the 7 days of taking them).

However, there is still pain, coldness, and what feels like wetness.  I have another doctors appointment for tomorrow, where they said they could run a 'clean' test or something to see if i'm clean or do the whole test again.

Could the medicines not be working since I am still having the same symptoms?  
Is it typical that the symptoms persist through treatment?  
Could it be something else?  
Is it typical to get an STD from receiving oral sex?

Also, how long after treatment am I allowed to have sex (protected from now on, believe me) with my partner?  Once the antibiotics are done?

I have been extremely worried and pretty down about myself because of all this, and just want it to go away.

Thank you.

The symptoms you describe are not typical of any STD.  Conceivably it could be nongonococcal urethritis (NGU), but even that seems a bit of a stretch.  Chlamydia has never been documented to be acquired by oral sex, and probably doesn't happen, so the failed chlamydia test doesn't make much difference.  Presumably your gonorrhea test is negative.  That leaves nonchlamydial NGU as a possibility.  However, if you had that, the doxycycline should have cleared it up by now.   The lack of change in your symptoms is a strong indication that no bacterial infection is causing your symptoms.

The STDs commonly acquired by oral sex are NGU, as noted above (often due to entirely normal oral bacteria that cause problems only when they get into the urethra); herpes due to herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) (your symptoms do not at all suggest herpes); gonorrhea (not your problem, and would have been effectively treated by ceftriaxone anyway); and syphilis (also not your problem).  That's pretty much it.

My guess is the symptoms will fade on their own. Most likely you don't have anything serious either for your health or your partner.  But follow up with your own provider and follow his advice.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
1 Comment