STDs Expert Forum
WHATS MY CHANCES

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

WHATS MY CHANCES

DEAR DOC,

ABOUT 5 WEEKS AGO I GAVE UNPROTECTED ORAL SEX TO A FEMALE IN WHICH I PENETRATED HER WITH MY TONGUE AND ALSO INGESTED SOME OF HER FLUIDS, ABOUT A WEEK AFTER I BEGAN TO HAVE A RASH AND ABOUT 2 WEEKS AFTER THE RASH APPEARED I STARTED TO HAVE A COUGH THAT IS STILL LINGERING, I WANTED TO KNO WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF BEING INFECTED WITH HIV DURING THIS ENCOUNTER?
Tags: HIV Transmission, HIV Prevention&Risks
You have posted on the wrong site.   Questions about HIV belong on the HIV prevention site.  I will do my best to answer your questions with this reply but, if you have additional questions or follow-up they must be on the HIV Prevention site.  Sorry

HIV is virtually never spread b oral sex and the chances that you got HIV form the exposure you describe are just about zero. The likelihood that she had HIV is tiny and, even if she was, the chance that you got HIV from the exposure you describe is les than 1 in 10,000.  Your chances of having HIV from this encounter are near zero.  You do not need to be concerned or testing.  
EWH
1 Comment
Dr Hook,
I can't begin to express how grateful I am to you & HHH. Due to my ignorance I was terrified about a recent risk I took related to HIV exposure , however thanks to you 2 I am now better educated, with less anxiety to boot. I would send you each b'day cakes for the rest of your lives if I could.
Best always,
Sam