STDs Expert Forum
bad rash in my pelvic/groin area std's???

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

well I started noticing the rash a few months back but I didnt think much of it.  Then I found out my girlfriend of a few years had cheated so I got a little worried.  Well the rash is like where my thighs meet my body.  It is on both sides surrounding my penis.  It itches pretty bad sometimes and has a nasty smell. If I wipe my pelvic area with a paper towel sometimes I get some puss looking residue.  Also I have two open sores that close and reopen from time to time but they do not hurt at all ever.  I kinda think they are opening to release some kind of built up preassure manybe?  I have one on each side....like at the base of my penis you look left or right in that pelvic crease area (where my thighs meet my body) and you see the open wound/sore in the same exact spot on both sides.  I found out she also had some kind of bacterial infection (as she told me) and was given clindamycin (sp?)  we had some left over at the house and i've been taking them for a few days (3 a day for the past 5 days 300mg each) but it hasnt seemed to help at all as far as I can tell. I've also tried using that 1% cream from rite aid to stop rashes and that didnt help at all.  I havent talked to her since so this is all I know.  Please help me out here....I can provide any and all pics needed....also it seems blood comes out of the open wounds/sores if that helps...I think my nodes??? are inflamed or swelling from all this?  
Welcome to the STD forum.

No STD causes symptoms like you describe.  You clearly have some sort of non sexually transmitted skin inflammation or infection, not something you caught from your sex partner.  The association with odor suggests a bacterial infection and/or a hygiene problem.  Are you overweight?  Rash with odor often happens where folds of body skin are in constant contact and the fold at the top of the leg is the most common site.  The same sort of problem is common in large-breasted women, for the same reason.  Another idea is a condition called hidradenitis suppurativa, a chronic deeper kind of skin infection that includes pus pockets.  It's also more common in heavy folks, but not exclusively.  And there are still other possibilities as well -- but no STDs do this.

It is puzzling to me that you have apparently had the problem for a long time but say nothing about what your doctor says.  If you haven't seen a health care provider about this, you definitely need to do so.  He or she will be able to make a quick diagnosis and provide proper treatment.

In any case, this definitely isn't an STD; no worries there.  I'll be interested to hear what your doctor or clinic says after you are examined.

Regards--  HHH, MD