STDs Expert Forum
blood in pee

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

blood in pee

I've been peeing blood. This has happened before and I've had a UTI. But I'm paranoid. Could this be a result from anything other than a UTI?

Thanks.
The medical term for blood in the urine is hematuria.  If you are a woman, urinary tract infection (UTI) is most likely, especially if your hematuria is accompanied by painful, frequent, or urgent urination.  But bacterial STDs, especially gonorrhea and chlamydial infection, also can do it.  If you are at risk for STDs--recent new partner, multiple partner, or a partner who does these things--then it's a good idea to be tested for STD in addition to getting an antbiotic for UTI.

If you are a man, hematuria usually is due to other things--but the symptom and those problems are much less common than in women.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, Paiful urination with blood. was started.
I'm a 30 year old male I wake up in the morning with pain in my back on the right side I go pee and it goes but they is blood in my pee and I pee a very large amount through out the day a lot I get pain in my testicles and they how very hard and it give me a pain in my stomach please help plus it does not hurt to pee