STDs Expert Forum
possible hpv

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

possible hpv

I was married 30 years ago and have to say I was a virgin. My husband claims that I've been his only too. However, the last few months I've developed these tongue sores on the side and tip of my tongue. I've been tested for herpes and it came back negative. I've seen an internist, dermatologist, ENT and oral pathologist. No one has a clue as to what these lumps are. I've been give a course of diflucan as the ENT thought it might be the start of a yeast infection. Over the last few weeks I"ve noticed tiny dots on my lips and round circular spots on my soft palate. Where the lumps started on the left side of my tongue I've also started getting a numb feeling on and off throughout the day and burning. The lumps on the side of my tongue have spread to the tip of the tongue now and to the other side. Trying to educate myself as much as possible I've looked in to a lot of diseases and came across HPV. After seeing pictures on the net of HPV and reading some credible articles I have some questions. An article states that most people infected with oral HPV is caused from oral sex. However, one percent can be infected from open mouth kissing (french kissing) if the other person has oral HPV especially if the person who doesn't have HPV is immunocompromised. I've also read that this virus could lie dormant for decades before coming out as disease.  I'm really stressed as this problem is really taking over me. I have another appointment with the ENT next week and he said he would do a biopsy if I was still in a lot of pain. I'm really concerned that these are oral warts and they have developed in to cancer. Only the area where they started is causing me pain not the other parts. Thanks for listening and hopefully I can one day be semi normal again.
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

I doubt the lesions in and around your mouth are due to HPV.  First, oral warts are rare.  The virus often can be found in the mouth, but usually without any warts or other symptoms.  For sure HPV never causes sores of any kind, and never causes pain.  In addition, oral warts are pretty easy for experienced professionals to recognize.  If your various doctors didn't suspect warts, you can safely assume something else explains your symptoms.

Many (or most?) oral HPV infections are acquired by oral sex, but you don't know you have oral HPV.  Why worry about the origin of something you probably don't have?

In any case, you cannot expect a definitive diagnosis by an online expert, whether on this forum or anywhere else, when direct examination by several health care providers hasn't come to a clear conclusion.  If you remain concerned, follow through with plans for another opinion from your ENT doctor -- including a biopsy if he or she recommends it.

Best regards--  HHH, MD