Shingles Community
Herpes Zoster - recurrence - prodromal symptoms

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Recently, I had herpes zoster with prodromal symptoms (headache) starting almost 6 weeks ago.  It was on my trigeminal nerve and fortunately I began medication with Valacyclovir within a 2-3 days of noticing the first bumps on my forehead.

Things were clearing up fairly well within a week or so, and the pain decreased gradually over the next 4 weeks.  In the past few days, however I am starting to notice more itching again on my scalp.   I also had a very red (the sclera), itchy and watery eye 2 days ago. The redness and itchiness in the eye have mostly subsided the past day but my scalp has become increasingly itchy.  I am concerned these might be prodromal symptoms and I might have another shingles outbreak in the near future. Or would that be impossible/or rare and could I be having some bacterial infections in my eye and on my scalp secondary to the herpes zoster outbreak?

I am planning a trip to the wilderness and I don't want to be away from medical care if I have an outbreak of shingles again - especially because this first outbreak was very near my eye and I had lots of swelling around my eye. I know it can be very serious if it gets in one's eye and can lead to blindness.

Any MDs have knowledge of whether I should perhaps get a prescription for Valacyclovir to take on my wilderness trip that I begin in 5 weeks?    

I will be seeing my ophthalmologist in 2 weeks for a follow-up appointment but wonder if I should contact my primary MD if the itching continues on my scalp. Or should I just try a shampoo with antibacterial soap to see if this clears up the itching?  Normally I don't have itching on my scalp.  

Thanks for any feedback.  
I asked my doctor if I should get the shingles vaccine. He said I had sufficient vitamin D3 in my system not to need it and that I should continue supplementing with that vitamin. He also said that D3 was more efficacious than the flue shot and there were no side effects.
thanks for your comment - I have thought I would get the vaccine - but I think they have one wait for one year from a shingles outbreak.   But hearing about the Vitamin D levels - makes me wonder what my level is right now.  

I will check with my doctor on this for sure.
I should point out that my doctor, who is an MD out of Yale, combines traditional medicine with alternative medicine. There are trials, by the way that pit the flu shot against vitamin D. I don't know about trials for shingles vaccine. Every other doctor I have come across says to get the flu shot, even though it is usually ineffective and can have nasty side effects.