Shingles Community
Postherpetic Neuralgia from Shingles

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Postherpetic Neuralgia from Shingles

Anyone had any luck with lessening the pain of this,I am so done with this, I have had this horrific burning, gnawing deep intense constant pain in my chest for now 3 yrs... been on every drug u can imagine (gabapentin, amitryptline, nortriptyline, topomax (topamax), lyricia, cymbalta and the list goes on and on and on Ive had nerve blocks etc.. If anyone has had anything that has helped them I would love to hear from you,,, shine

Tags: postherpetic neuralgia, shingles, Pain, Chest, Chronic Pain from Shingles
Hi, I am sorry that I can't say that I did something that has worked.  I just started a regimen. I had shingles and I have MS. I have intense, debiitating itching and pain in my lower back. Two days ago, I started seeing a new MS neurologist. What is your dosage for gabapentin? I am to build up slowly to 2400-3600 mg -- plus Hydrocodon-Acetaminophn -- plus Aleve -- at 3 each day.My former neurologist was not helpful -- have to dump them. I am trying to be optimistic about the med mix. Just started. Can you sleep?  I take 75mg Trazodone -- relatively cheap and thankfully, works like a charm. It's horrible. Wishing you some real relief.
My dosage was 1800 mg but I have tapered from it so im not taking it anymore it never helped at all, I go to a new Pain Dr. next week he is the had of Pain Management at Shands in Gainesville Fla supposed to be excellent, I sleep ok it takes a long time to get to sleep and I wake up alot every couple hrs but this pain is just to much I dont know what Im gonna do If it doesnt go away soon,,, much luck to you hope u start feeling better...shine
The neurologist at USF gave me 800mgs of gabapentin, 1 Cymbalta and a valtrex a day....seems to help. I am not happy about all the meds but I could not stand the numbness and fuzzy feelings in my legs and feet. I also get burning itching at the base of my spine. I also get chills througout the day.
I just found this website. I've also got permanent shingles. Had them now since Jan 1, 2001. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to discuss shingles with anyone who also has them. I've not searched for pain relief as I thought there was nothing available. The only thing that I've found over the years is that the pain lessens when my body is hot...and like if I walk into a cold store in the summertime, they really hurt....but to get hot the pain is the least.
I am in week 5 of shingles. My outbreak was on right side of head, into right eye . While I am starting to recover, still have some pain , but manage with ibuprofan. You are right on about the heat ! In my early stages, the only way for me to sleep was with a heating pad. I am still using it now, and for some reason it works. I am only 48 years old, and have this dread disease. I have great sympathy for all of us who have this !
PLEASE TRY LIVRELEIF---24.95 HAVE MINE FOR 7 YEARS-SO DARN PAINFUL--WITHIN  2 HOURS I AM PAIN FREE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 7 YEARS--WAHOOOOOOOOO
HOPE YOU GOT MY MESSAGE--I AM ALSO WITH CHRONIC PAIN CLINIC TODAY I TRIED THE CREAM LIVRELEIF--IN 2 HOURS AM PAIN FREE--PLEASE TRY--JUDY
Is this for real?  where do U buy it??
i am in canada bought for 22.00 at food basics--but sorry to say my pain is back now i want to try hemp oil---check this site called--run for the cure
I just got ur message, for some reason I didnt get any alerts in my email that I had messages from this site, anyway it says GNC has the cream so im gonna go tomorrow and get some... I am still in the most agonizing pain and it never stops... I will try anything at this point, I am finally going to a neurologist on Monday the only Dr I havent tried yet, dont know if it will do any good but I have to try .. hope you doing better.. shine
Have you found anything else for your pain as mine is still full force, I gone through burning of the nerve and everything and nothing has helped, I am so desperate for relief...shine
yes go to gallixa.com    its a cream. for herpetic neuralgia don't know about the rash itself , but email them, the researcher himself will answer you.
thank you for your advice
Not the greatest advice, but while I had shingles I got high everyday all day. I couldn't even feel it. It's not legal but it does wonders. Sometimes I forgot I had it.
And it only lasted two-three weeks when I did. So, basically it's better for you than anything the doctors could give you.
What do you mean it's not legal? Don't you have medical marijuana where you live?
I got shingles 2 years ago last Feb.the blisters went away but the pain came,i guess its the Postherpetic Neuralgia ,the pain is there 24 hours a day, hurts like hell.
Funny thing is though,,, if i am doing something, take today for example, changed the oil on the boat,etc, the put a coat of anti fouling paint on the bottom (its 28ft) so i was on my back painting it on.
My point is now i am home and the nerves hurt like hell, i can't think of one instance today down the boat when it bothered me, i have noticed that before ,when i am busy i don't tend to feel them.
But at home when i' m not doing much they burn like hell, i just accept i will always have them and live with it
Hi, hope you are feeling better. You mentioned taking Valtrex. Did this help you while you had shingles (rash) or Postherpetic Neuralgia, or both?  My dentist (!!) suggested Valtrex because nothing is working re my severe, chronic Postherpetic Neuralgia pain. How long did you take Valtrex? Thank you.
I have the same problem alrose24! I'm only in week 4 but I'm having huge problems sleeping because of the burning, itchy pain now that the rash is almost completely healed. I find myself folding laundry at 3am after getting only 2-3 hours of sleep. It's so easy to take my mind off it when I'm doing anything but as soon as I stop it all comes back. I have mastered the art of only napping. The only positive outcome of this is that when I have a baby (sooner than later) we will be on the same sleep schedule
I had a mild initial outbreak, but have had postherpetic neuralgia for 7 years.   Mine can take various forms, but mainly burning, external pain, and extreme sensitivity to touch.  The only only thing I've found that helps at all is burn gel.  Solarcaine and sunburn products sometimes work, but even better is gel that's used as emergency treatment for burns.  I just keep slathering it on the worst spots until the pain is better.

I've used creams and gels made specifically for shingles, but in my case, the burn stuff works better.  It's over-the-counter and fairly cheap.