Shingles Community
Zoster sine herpete

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Zoster sine herpete

I am experiencing the worst outbreak of zoster sine herpete to date.  I have had these outbreaks multiple times per year over the past several years.  I do not understand what brings them on.  I have tried Vitamin B injections (every 12 hours or some craziness) antivirals and lysine.  I sometimes rub St. John's Wort oil on the hurting spots, but the pain of rubbing far outweighs the relief the oil brings.  This burning is accompanied by sharp stabbing shooting pains that can happen anywhere, depending on which part of my body is being affected during that particular out break.  I have never had it on my face. It's almost always on my trunk radiating down to buttocks, hips, thighs.  The pain is unbelievable, and OTC meds do not TOUCH the pain. The outbreaks are usually accompanied by irritability, cold chills, fatigue and low grade fever. I did have chicken pox as a child.  I also had spinal meningitis and sometimes I wonder if what Im' experiencing isnt' shingles at all but something to do with nerve damage from my battIe with Spinal meningitis at age 5.  I don't know what to do anymore, I don't know if there is a specific specialty of physician that I should seek the help of, have I gone as far as I can? Should I continue to just wait these awful spells out?  
Tags: meningitis, chicken pox, nebulizerpete, shingles, nerve pain
I am in a similar situation  - and three docs confirmed shingles without rash.  I doubted it with the first two and then now on a third visit to a different doc finally and succumbing to the idea that I am having shingles.  The pain is constant, confined to my arm, mostly my wrist and back of arm - dr said the latent virus is settled in my radial nerve  Very painful not only when moving but trying to lie still as well.  Sleeping is difficult  High stress job - symptoms came on acute - with headache and throbbing burning arm pain  I am young for this 44 but very high stress job.  I am on gabapentin (sp?), already did a course of antiviral and high amount of Tylenol.  So far two weeks and it is no better. Doc said time is the healer  I hope you feel better  Bodies are so weird.  
The doctor gave me zovirax. It stopped the outbreak and the pain.