Shingles Community
Zoster sine herpete

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Zoster sine herpete

I am experiencing the worst outbreak of zoster sine herpete to date.  I have had these outbreaks multiple times per year over the past several years.  I do not understand what brings them on.  I have tried Vitamin B injections (every 12 hours or some craziness) antivirals and lysine.  I sometimes rub St. John's Wort oil on the hurting spots, but the pain of rubbing far outweighs the relief the oil brings.  This burning is accompanied by sharp stabbing shooting pains that can happen anywhere, depending on which part of my body is being affected during that particular out break.  I have never had it on my face. It's almost always on my trunk radiating down to buttocks, hips, thighs.  The pain is unbelievable, and OTC meds do not TOUCH the pain. The outbreaks are usually accompanied by irritability, cold chills, fatigue and low grade fever. I did have chicken pox as a child.  I also had spinal meningitis and sometimes I wonder if what Im' experiencing isnt' shingles at all but something to do with nerve damage from my battIe with Spinal meningitis at age 5.  I don't know what to do anymore, I don't know if there is a specific specialty of physician that I should seek the help of, have I gone as far as I can? Should I continue to just wait these awful spells out?  
Tags: meningitis, chicken pox, nebulizerpete, shingles, nerve pain
I am in a similar situation  - and three docs confirmed shingles without rash.  I doubted it with the first two and then now on a third visit to a different doc finally and succumbing to the idea that I am having shingles.  The pain is constant, confined to my arm, mostly my wrist and back of arm - dr said the latent virus is settled in my radial nerve  Very painful not only when moving but trying to lie still as well.  Sleeping is difficult  High stress job - symptoms came on acute - with headache and throbbing burning arm pain  I am young for this 44 but very high stress job.  I am on gabapentin (sp?), already did a course of antiviral and high amount of Tylenol.  So far two weeks and it is no better. Doc said time is the healer  I hope you feel better  Bodies are so weird.  
The doctor gave me zovirax. It stopped the outbreak and the pain.
Last fall for a month, I had excruciating pain in my left hip and leg.  It would change locations, my hip, my thigh, my knee and finally a spot on my lower leg that felt like someone had just shot me with a bullet (as I can only imagine). I was tested for Lyme's and other tick diseases, along with many other tests.  Nothing was positive.  I am now convinced, after reading symptoms of others,  that I had a bout of shingles.  I had had the shingles vaccine earlier, so did not consider this a possibility at the time.  I only thought of it when someone described the symptoms of someone else who had shingles and mentioned migrating pain.  I did not have skin, sensitive to touch, or a rash.  I think the vaccine caused the duration to be shorter.  I can't imagine what it would have been like had I not had the vaccine!  I was sleeping for only an hour at a time and then alter taking pain killers or a sleeping pill.
All I can say is stay positive guys! I'm 28 and had my first rash last month. But last summer I am sure I have shingles without presenting a rash in the exact same spot. At the time I thought that I had pushed myself to hard during a 16 hour shift and pulled a muscle that aggrivated my an underlying joint condition(EDS). But pain like I had never experienced spread to all the core muscles in my chest and abs. So it takes months to feel better and about a year passes and I'm out raking leaves and pull the same muscle again, but mildly. But the pain that I woke up with the next morning was the same, still can't describe the severity with words. Two days later I have the rash. Weird thing though, the muscle I pulled is in the 2nd nerve bundle, upper shoulder, and my rash was in 3 and 4. So was it a trigger, who knows? The last f-ing thing I need is another chronic pain issue, at 28!
So that's why I say stay positive! So little is know about the causes and triggers. The best we can do is keep ourselves otherwise healthy and especially happy (shingles are a drag!) So that our immune systems are strong and we show this virus who's boss!