Thyroid Disorders Community
Armour dosage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Armour dosage?

I was just wondering what dosage of Armour Thyroid other Hypothyroid patients were on? I understand it can be somewhat difficult to establish the correct dosage. I have read some patients started at 15mg while others started at 60mg but not what dosage they ended up with or how long it took them to arrive at an adequate dose. I was also wondering about the 'empty' stomach recommendation. That is easy enough in the morning but I was not sure how that works later in the day if you require additional dosages. Also, do some patients take Synthroid as well as Armour, or is it one or the other. I am in the early figuring-it-all-out stage and would appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance!
Depending of how high your labs are is based on your  testing is a good way of judging how much armour you might need. Everyone is different.And it can be a long process to figure it out. With armour you need to make sure your doctor is testing the free T-4,T-3.In order to regulate your dosages.Also your adrenals need to be in good work order to have the armour work correctly.This is usually tested by a 24 hour cortisol saliva test.Most everyone does not mix Synthroid and armour. Although I think I have heard that before.This is just a basic rundown of a few things I have incountered myself. Their are lots of people on this site who take armour and have alot more experince than I do with it and im sure you will hear from them as well. Good luck.
There is really not much more to add here. mudkme83 hit everything perfectly on the head.

It takes time.
One thing. To get around the additional dosages with the empty stomach - most patients do consider as I do - taking the Armour sublingual.

I am on armour and it took about 8 months to get my dosage correct, but i have had some new struggles showing that the dosage i have been on is still not enough. i started on 30mg of armour, then uped to 60mg then uped to 120mg, which is my current dosage. But my tsh has gone from 3.11 to 4.5 in a month, and i know that isn't extremelt high ( my tsh was 23 when they uped my meds from 60 to 120) but i still dont feel well. I can tell you that my tsh was going crazy while on the smaller doses but i was on generic armour, then when they gave me my perscription for 120mg they put "brand medically necessary" and my tsh went from 23 to 3.11. so i would recommend asking for the brand name instead of generic.  i take mine on an empty stomach and i wait thirty minutes before eating or drinking anything, but if i dont i usually get very bad stomach pains....i hope this helps.!