Thyroid Disorders Community
Borderline Hypothyroidism?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Borderline Hypothyroidism?

I recently received blood work for my thyroid and got the results back today. The test was for my thyroxine sensitive levels ( that's the only one that was ordered) and the result was .83. I know the low normal said .3 but forget the high normal range. Im within normal limits but have been experiencing some lightheadedness, dizziness, exhaustion, and have always had difficulty in losing weight....have no problem gaining. Do you think this is something to be concerned about or should i just play it off since i am within normal range?  
Tags: thryoid
Sorry to say but if that was all you were tested for - that doesn't tell anyone much on what's going on.

3 specific tests is needed to monitor your issues.

Free T4 (free thyroxine)
Free T3 ( free Triiodothyronine)
TSH

yea that's what i thought too...not sure why they didn't order the others. Thanks!
They probably didn't order the others because the "Immaculate TSH Belief" is so rampant.  Unfortunately TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that it is a poor diagnostic for thyroid problems.  At best it is an indicator to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, as well as levels of the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones free T3 and free T4.   That's why Stella recommended those tests.

In my opinion the best way to treat a hypo patient is to test and adjust Ft3 and FT4 with whatever meds are necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not TSH level.  So when you go back to your doctor next time, you should request FT3 and FT4, along with the TSH.  If the doctor resists, then you should insist on it and not take no for an answer.  Remember that you are the customer.  To make sure of getting FT3 and FT4, I even go as far as making sure the lab people know that those are to be tested, not total T3 and total T4, which are largely obsolete and not nearly as valuable as the Frees.  

If you find that the FT3 and FT4 result are in the lower end of their range, that's consistent with being hypo.  If that is the case, and you have the low TSH along with it, then that may point toward the need to check your pituitary function as well.  If you will get those tests done and post results and reference ranges shown on the lab report, then members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.

Since so many hypo patients also have low Vitamin D, B12 and iron/ferritin, you should consider getting those tested in the near future as well.