Thyroid Disorders Community
Can hyperthyroidism go away on its own?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Can hyperthyroidism go away on its own?

I was started on PTU over a month ago and I was pretty sick at that time...since being on PTU, I have begun to feel much better...I had an ultrasound done early in March and there was a single nodule on the left side of my thyroid....I stopped taking my meds a few days ago because I feel "normal"...I did try to stop one time prior and became very sick...I have had no symptoms in 3 days now....can hyperthyroidism just stop on its own?...I don't want to take any meds that I absoultely don't have to
I also take PTU. I've tried what you are doing. Didn't work for me but I have Graves Disease. My doc says there's a 10% chance Graves can go in remission and at some point the thyroid may tire out of pumping so much hormone and go hypo.

If you start flipping out and feeling hyperthyroid again, maybe continue your meds. I can feel the anxiety and short fuse coming on as well as rapid heartbeat when I get hyperthyroid.
I was on PTU and  stopped my meds for 9 days for a uptake test.
on the 8th day I became very sick again.I don't know if hypertyroidisim goes away on it's own though unless it's burnt out. you should tell your doc you went off your meds and have him test your levels while your off meds.
Very rarely does hyperthyroidism "go away" in its own. During pregnancy it changes for some people and then adjusts back - but under normal circumstances it usually either burns out or RAI is introduced to stop the thyroid from pumping out all the hormones.

Most people will become hypo after an episode with hyper T.
Avatar n tn
Thank you all for your comments....I started having my old symptoms again this morning and if this continues, I will restart taking my PTU again. I just don't like being on any sort of medication if I don't need to. My other question is this, does everyone that has a nodule get a FNA? The radiologist told me that I have a single nodule on the left side of my thyroid. My primary care physician said nothing to me about this. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. When you say "burns out", does that mean that my thyroid could burn out? I have been left out in the cold as far as my physician. I was never told what my levels were, only that they were off the chart. I saw her a month ago and she stated my levels looked good. Though I don't like seeing anyone feel ill, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one going thru this.
So I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism and found out in the ER when my heart was racing it went up to 232 BPM and they thought I was having a heart attack.  The labs showed hyperthyroidism and they sent me home with Propernol a beta blocker to take 3 times a day.  I feel as though I am  better now.  I am not out of breath all the time and physically exhausted.  Does this mean I can start working out again.  I haven' attempted to exercise now.  I tried two weeks ago and my BPM went above 200 and I started seeing stars. My body was very fatigued after this and all I could do is lay down all day.  I want to start working out but don't know if I can.  Can someone please advise?
Are you just taking a beta blocker?  Are you on anti-thyroid meds (ATMs)?  Have you followed up with your doctor?
DO NOT exercise at all until your hyperthyroid is controlled.  You could be damaging your heart and could really have a heart attack with a heart rate like that.
Hopefully your doctor will be doing more testing and putting you on an antithyroid med.  
Hi, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid about 2 months ago (I'm Male 33yo). The doctors were certain about signing me up for RAI but I decided to try and fix it myself... and I think it might be working?

Here is what I did:
(1): I eliminated all stress from my life
(2): I tried lemon balm tea (1 litre per day)
(3): Stopped the long exercise sessions and went for a shorter one instead
(4): I found a hobby to which I could dedicate my new time to
(5): I remembered my younger life and reflected on my achievements

Well, I really think it is working - today on the beach I actually had Goosebumps (it was 25 degrees) - that's hot for Cornwall, UK!
My resting pulse is forever dropping (It was 100 and now sits between 60-70, I had a major drop down to 50 a few weeks ago)
I think the main thing which helped was getting rid of the stress in my life - please try this and I guarantee you it will help.
As stated above, hyperthyroid rarely goes away on its own.  What were your actual thyroid test results?  Do you have Graves Disease? Or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?  

While Graves Disease is associated with being hyperthyroid, Hashimoto's can present with periods of hyper, as well, then can swing to normal and  hypo...... if it's Hashi, you will eventually, end up permanently hypo.

Do keep a close watch on your levels.
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism when I was about half way through my last pregnancy. My levels were just slightly elevated. When my daughter was about 2 months old, I went off my meds for insurance reasons. I had my thyroid tested a couple days ago (I've been off my meds for 2 months now) and my levels are completely normal. So yes, in some cases, hyperthyroidism can go away. HYPOthyroidism runs in my family though (my mom and both my sisters have it), so it is something I will keep an eye on. My advice is, if you are going to try going off your meds, tell your doctor and make sure to have your levels tested to make sure you are not allowing the problem to get worse.
Though my levels were only slightly elevated, I was told I did have a small goiter.