Thyroid Disorders Community
Can you be exhausted with Hashimoto's?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Can you be exhausted with Hashimoto's?

Merry Christmas, Everyone!!
I have a quick question.  I just was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and I asked my MD if this explains my total exhaustion and also is it the reason I twist my words often, or even have a problem remembering the words I want to say.  He says that it is not the reason, because my TSH is still within the normal range.  I don't understand.  I had a lot of the problems associated with hypothyroid, so can anyone with experience with HT help me understand what might be going on with me?  Or offer any good websites?  I feel a little crazy having all kinds of symptoms but not having a reason for why I have the symptoms.
All the best for a happy and HEALTHY new year!
luvvermont
Hi, I have Hashimoto's, and I am exhausted all the time. I also have the chronic problem of forgetting things. I'll go to ask someone something and I'll forget what it was. My docotor found part of my tiredness was from low B12, iron and folate, which wasn't being absorbed properly while I was untreated. Now I am on treatment I am slowly getting better. Still have bad days, I need to go back and get everything re-tested because I'm still not happy with my progress.
I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's also, although I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism back in June and have been on varying dosages of synthroid over the past 6 months.  I don't seem to have too much problem with the forgetfulness (some but not a lot), but I do have bouts of exhaustion.

Fatigue is one of the main symptoms of hypothyroidism and if your thyroid levels aren't right for you (even if they are in the "normal" range), you might still have symptoms.  I think that's why I still have a problem.  I also have vitamin B-12 deficiency and take shots every 2 weeks for that.  The shots help considerably, but I'm not sure those levels are optimal yet either.  

What tests did they run and what were the levels?  
Does your doctor know what Hashi is? It is autoimmune HYPOthyroidism. That is one of the biggest complaints of hypothyroid patients is feeling tired and forgetful.

.... this is another shaking of my head moment here.  Out of curiosity  - what IS YOUR "normal" TSH right now? Do you know the actual latest labs your doctor did for you?

Post them if you could.

Your Quote = "He says that it is not the reason, because my TSH is still within the normal range."

Then what does he say IS the reason - because people with hypothyroidism are exhausted until their optimal levels  FOR THEM are reached!! Keep in mind - most Hashi patients feel a relief of symptoms at around .8 to about a 1.8 - so if you are not tweeking near those numbers you will still feel yucky.
One more thing I forgot is that the doc says I'm not hypothyroid yet, and may never be?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  Says this is because of the TSH.  What do you know about this and what should I be asking him?  All I was told is that I have the antibodies for the hashi's and that my US shows a lumpy, bumpy thyroid with symetrical lymph node involvement on both sides of the throat which is a classic sign of hashi's.  HELP!!
Sorry for all the seperate posts...I wrote a post before the "one more thing..." one but I don't see it so I guess I did it wrong.  When I find out my labs I will post them ASAP because all of you have MUCH better advice than the doc does.  I feel like a hypochondriac after I speak to the doc or his nurse, but I can tell you that I've felt pretty crappy for about a year of two, long before my recent diagnosis.  They say the TSH is within normal limits so they don't believe the exhaustion and forgetfulness comes from the hashi's.  Right now just the antibodies come back positive for hashi's.  Also, he did a biopsy only because my sister had thyroid cancer and lymph node involvement.  She finally is on the up and up after MANY years.  My biopsy was benign.  I'll post my labs ASAP, and thank you to all of you who responded!!  This is a great site, and I appreciate the time of all of you.