Thyroid Disorders Community
Finally heard from Endo!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Finally heard from Endo!

2966168?1212008067
I spoke to my endo on the phone today.
Last visit 1 month ago, I decreased my Synthroid dose to 50 mcg from 62.5 mcg. I though my dizziness was a bit worse on the 62.5. Now I realize I may have just needed a dose increase, like the endo thought I would need.

My TSH on 62.5 was 1.42 and he was going to up me to 75 mcg. I decided not to and went back to 50 to see if I felt better on that dose. I don't.

So, he is re-checking my TSH and free t4 as it is on 50 mcg and then gave me the go ahead to up to 75 mcg.

The other thing I requested was a brand change from Synthroid to Levoxyl. Not only is it cheaper, but I was hoping my fat tongue (see picture on my profile) was due to something in the Synthroid. The endo doesn't think so, but had no problem calling in the rx for Levoxyl.

As long as I feel ok, he is willing to let my TSH go to the bottom of the range to find out if it helps my dizzy/weak feelings I have had for 2 years now. It did improve quite a bit after starting Synthroid, so I am hoping a further TSH drop could help more.

Anyone have thoughts on any of this?

Thanks,
Kitty
Just logged in and saw your post... and was most curious about your pic! =) My tongue looks like that too! Often, that is... not every day, but frequently. I've never questioned the doctor, because I rarely go and don't think about it. I just started medication for my overactive thyroid;  I'm sure it has nothing to do with that. What did your endo say about your tongue? I figured it had something to do with water retention... are you experiancing that at all?
I think you need a lesson in manners, missy!  :-0

Seriously, that has to be uncomfortable having your tongue swollen to that degree. I hope the med change clears up the swelling.
Wow, yeah, that's not good. We all should post pix of our tongues~ I have what is called a geographic tongue. It's crazy looking, and the bare patches shift from month to month. The dr. said that there really isn't anything to do about it! LOL It's ugly!
I remember the tongue .... how awful!

As long as you get better vs. worse then I'd go for it ... but be certain you chart your symptoms and the med dose increase and see how it goes!

cheryl
Believe it or not, my tongue doesn't bother me. I am sometimes conscious of sucking it down into the bottom of my mouth maybe b/c it is in the way?

My husband and a friend both had geographic tongue. It eventually went away. My friend was extremely ill after a jellyfish sting, but my husband just had it.

I would like to see other fat/geographic tongues! The endo said it is either b12 def. (ruled out) or from hypothyroidism (do have, but not extreme and on treatment when pic taken.) The only thing left is Amyloidosis (not a good thing) or as one PCP said - anxiety. Well it is not from anxiety, as it happened while on Lexapro and Ativan!

Sorry AR, I usually have better manners! Not a pretty site, I know. I just don't stick my tongue out at many people. ;)

Cheryl- I will certainly keep track of symptoms with the new dose. Thanks!

Thanks Everyone!
Hi Kit Kat

I think the tongue has been ignored with modern medicine and it really tells a big story onhow a body may be reacting to certian viruses colds and illnesses.

I had /have the tongue thing too but mine is not a swelled as yours. I do think your is so swollen that the indentations onthe side are your teeth pushing on the sides to.

Never - ever did I have the tongue problems before my thyroid was ablated. I seriosly believe it is a draw back from being hypo.
Stella- I so hope you are correct on it beong related to being hypo.

I was hypo for at least several years that I know of (by TSH and symptoms) and went untreated. But, my tongue didn't look like this until my TSH got up to (only) 5.96 last summer.

I wonder if being untreated for so long would make a difference.

I know that the tongue is crucial in Chinese medicine and modern medicine IS probably missing something!
Kit Kat

My new doctor looks at my tongue too. -- What a concept!  LOL

Modern medicine knows about the tongue. I think they are just so bent on not thinking it is a warning sign something is not working right.

I watch a show on BBCA here in the US called "You are what you eat". This hollistic lady, Jillian, on there ALWAYS looks at the tongue. That's why I brought it up to my Dr. that it looked funky... but all she could think was that it was geographic tongue. So I'm not too sure what to make of it!! LOL