Thyroid Disorders Community
Have you heard about the thyroid med TIROSINT (Levothyroxine Sodium) ca...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Have you heard about the thyroid med TIROSINT (Levothyroxine Sodium) capsules -- No DYE or FILLERS ? Dr. Lupo mentioned this med during his chat last night (link inside) ..

Tironsint Levothyroixine Sodium Capsules- no dye or fillers

Anybody using this med?  When did it come out - ?  

Dr Lupo's Health Chat 7/28/10:  http://www.medhelp.org/health_chats/show/52?camp=msc
25%
 (3) 
Yes I've heard of it
75%
 (9) 
No, I haven't heard of it
0%
 (0) 
Yes I use it
0%
 (0) 
12 Members voted
This would be a good question to ask Dr Lupo....find out when it came out and who is making it.  :)
In the mean time.....I shall google it! LOL
Okay....here goes!

Akrimax Pharmaceuticals.....FDA approved in 2006. Shelf life of 18 mos. (Longer and more stable than the pills)

Tirosint is a gelcap. Potentcy isn't affected like the other T4 meds that have to be heated etc.

Comes in 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150    (13mcg dosage on way)   Dosages are all color coded. Comes in blister packs also with days of week on it I believe. :)

Inacive ingredients:  gelatin, glycerine, water       That's it folks!!

FREE OF:  dyes, gluten, alcohol, lactose, sugar!!!!

Next project is to try to find out cost difference.   I am going to ask my Dr if I can try this!
Walmart just quoted me $22.68 for a 28 pack! Very good pricing!
Since 2006, and never mentioned here or by any doc that I know.!  How?

Would have been one last thing to try before I went the dessicated rout! Oh well.........

Tirosint was approved by the FDA in February 2007.  According the drug manufacturer:
the reason Tirosint is different from other thyroid drugs is Tirosint is the first levothyroxine treatment in a liquid gel cap form.  The gel caps are free of dyes, gluten, alcohol, lactose, and sugar.  Tirosint is unique and has no generic.  Unlike levothyroxine sodium tablets, Tirosint cannot be cut or crushed.

Tirosint is manufactured by:  Akrimax Pharmaceuticals, LLC in Cranford, NJ

Cindy
UPDATE:  

I spoke with Akrimax this morning - makers of Tirosint.  They said that the drug was approved by the FDA in February 2007, but did not get to "market" until May of 2010.

Cindy

WOW -- thanks for the info. No wonder why we haven't heard about this new medication.  Thanks All for the info to take to our doctors -- especially if your current med is causing issues there's a new alternative that is dye & filler free out there and reasonably priced!!!!

C~
co-cl thyroid
Does Synthroid contain gluten? I am sensitive to gluten so if it does, I'm going to ask my docotr if I can switch to Tirosint.
E
Synthroid is MCC and is not classified as Gluten free.
I had my appointment with my endo today, and I am making the switch to Tirosint!!
I am going to be his test subject! lol  
He said that they have been using this drug for a while over in Europe, so it is only new here in the United States.
He told me to let him know if I end up feeling like King Kong with a surge of energy from better absorption of a T4 med...lol
too cool. lets see you in a few days after starting this! lol
Why would Armour thyroid be linked as a tag to this medicine? Its not a part of it at all?
I see my endo on the 16th; was planning to ask for increase from 88 mcg to 100 mcg levo, along with my 5 mcg T3 med.  Could you please let me know how you do on this med because I now plan to ask my endo for it, but would like to know how you do on it, first.  

The one thing I saw in the research I did is that the dosages only go by 25 mcg increments.

How does your dosage of the tirosint compare with your dosage of synthroid/levo?  
Take a look at this pharmacutical site for the current information on the FDA approval and the release just this May,

offtoasmoothstart.com

Sounds crazy for a pharm company but the motto on this is suits their mission of giving T4 patients another great alternative to Synthroid with this new med.

I am excited and look forward to hearing more for all thyroid patients getting another choice for treatment.
They have just about all the dosage increments now and also have a 13 mcg to add to any of the dosages.

I will be starting on tuesday.  :)
Great to know you want to be the test subject!

And hard to believe we have not heard of this product here until now.
Synthyroid has Micro Crystalline Cellulose as the filler?

If so, that might explain some things when I used it.
I used Tirosint for two weeks. Mood swings, tremors, and anxiety was terrible. I know you shouldn't notice such a change in two weeks. However, it was the only variable that changed. It was mid priced on my pharm hierarchy. Went back to Armor.
That much change in two weeks would not necessarily be abnormal when going from a Dessicated product to a synthetic one that provides no T3.  You body is in shock from no more T3 that it was getting in the Armour.

Once your on dessicated, going off it is a big deal, literally.

My doctor prescribed 50mcg of Tirosint. My TSH is 4.91 and my T3 and T4 are normal. Did he prescribe too much?
You might get better answers for you question if you post your question on a separate thread.  You should have your T3 and T4 results, along with whether or not they are "free" or "total", plus the reference ranges for them.  

Another guinea pig here...........I got a script for Tirosint and am on my second day...........

Cost me $27 + change for 90 days...........My insurance saved me $43, so for 90 days w/o insurance would have been $70.  It's cost equivalent to synthroid.

Wouldn't you still need L-T3? I fail to understand why your doctor didn't prescribe both when he switched you.

Tirosint is only L-T4.

Confused.
T4 must be converted to T3 for use by the body.  If one converts well, they won't need an additional T3 med.
I am doing wonderful on Tirosint! I actually feel clearer and my allergies seem to be a little less. I will give another update after 4 weeks.
Hi,  I will getting the RAI done this Friday and afterwards I will become Hypo and have to take Synthroid or I may ask for the new Tirosint if it is working well for you.  Please keep me posted as this will be all new for me.  Thank you
Tirosint has worked very well. I am very pleased!  I no longer have the fogginess after I take my meds like I use to with Synthroid.
THUMBS UP HERE!!  :)
I know a few people on here take it. I wish to bleeding heck we could get it in Australia but Sigma who make our T4 meds are unlikely to give up the monopoly! We have two T4 meds, Eutroxsig and Oroxine...Oroxine is the generic! Both are Sigma made!

Those I know on Tirosint rave about it. I suspect it is due to being able to be absorbed quickly and easier than stupid powdery sand filled tablets. ( Now don't jump on me, I joke when I say sand filled!)
I'm with Laura - I've been on Tirosint since August and am doing better than I did on either Synthroid or generic levo.  
Not one person I have come across have had a bad word to say about the new T4 medication Tirosint.

I am happy both Barb and Laura offered to try it so others can see here the personal experience first hand.

Good Luck Gals.... xoxoxo
Barb- What was your most recent T4 level? Mine is only at a 1.0 with a T3 of 3.8. I am on 125mg of tirosint and 20mcg of cytomel.
My doctor thinks that maybe the tirosint doesn't bind like the other meds, because it is utilized better. Kind of makes sense doesn't it?
I just had new labs yesterday, should have results by end of the week.  Will let you know as soon as I get them.

I'm on 100 mcg Tirosint; 5 mcg generic T3.  
Just got back my labs yesterday.........  I'm on 100 mcg Tirosint; 5 mcg generic T3.

TSH   0.01        higher than last time, which was < 0.01     woohoo.........lol
FT3   3.7 pg/mL   (range 2.3-4.2)    vs    308 pg/dL (range 230-420) prior to Tirosint
FT4   1.5 ng/dL    (range 0.8-1.8)    vs    1.1 ng/dL (same range) prior to Tirosint

I must admit - I did a 'no no' by making 2 changes at the same time - switched to Tirosint and upped my dosage from 88 mcg levo to 100 mcg Tirosint - so not sure which one really made the difference....I'm thinking the tirosint had the most effect because I was once on 150 synthroid and neither of my FT's rose above about 1/4 range.........

I'm actually feeling better than I've felt in eons...........but do still have some minor symptoms, such as constipation and hair loss.

I might suggest that anyone who isn't doing so well on either synthroid or generic levo to give it a try............. nothing to lose...
Great feedback on Tirosint. I started Tirosint in July of 2010. I had sensitivity to fillers, dyes, and generics with levo.  I have been on 150mcg of synthroid, 3-50mcg pills a day since the 50 mcgs are white with no fillers. My endo wanted to give Tirosint a try. We were excited since there's no dyes or fillers. After the first week I began to have severe headaches, nervousness, and hip pain. I continued with the Tirosint and the side effects got worse. My internal med Dr. insisted it was the Tirosint. The hip and joint pain became so severe I began Physical Therapy. 4 weeks after stopping Tirosint the headaches finally went away along with the nervousness. The joint/hip pain went away as quickly as it appeared. Not everyone is sensitive to levo, fillers, or dyes like I am. I have to think my body for some reason just can't tolerate it :(.
Did you start the Tirosint at the same 150 mcg dosage you had been on synthroid?  Since there is apparently, better absorption with Tirosint, than with other thyroid meds, for some of us, and if you are really sensitive, you might have done better to start on a lower dosage.  

yes i have
I am curious if anyone has switched from desiccated thyroid to Tirosint? My endo is suggesting this to me because I am having a very difficult time acquiring the former in Florida. I have had remarkable improvement on the desiccated, and I'm afraid to go back to synthetic T4 only. I doubt he will give me T3 as well.
what dose were you on when taking synthroid and what was your starting dose of Tirosint. I would assume that if Tirosint is better absorbed one should probably start at a dose lower than their synthroid right?
My synthroid dosages ranged from 25 mcg to 150, then back down to 50 (this was done by my pcp, because he was watching TSH only - mine went to the basement right away, so he kept cutting my med back, even though my FT levels did not rise accordingly).  When I started going to my endo, I was switched to generic levo, and we started slowly raising my meds, in order to adjust FT levels, rather than focusing on TSH.  

When I started the Tirosint, I was at 88 mcg levo (not synthroid).  I needed an increase, in levo, so we went up to 100 mcg with the Tirosint (I made 2 changes at once - changed dosage AND med - that's a "no no")....... While I felt good at that point, we were afraid I might tip the scale the other way (to hyper), so I'm now alternating 75 mcg with 100 mcg, for an average of 87.5/day.... I'm doing good on it, so most likely, when I see my endo again (depending on labs at the time), I'll go to 88 mcg Tirosint...... 88 -100 mcg seems to be my comfort level.

You are right -- for most people, Tirosint is absorbed better, so if you need an increase, you could start at your current level of synthroid/levo, then retest after a few weeks and see what your levels are, then if you need a further increase, so it.......

If you are doing good on your current med, either stay there and don't rock the boat, or start Tirosint at the next lowest dose, retest in a few weeks and go from there.  
I had my thyroid surgically removed about 6 years ago, due to cancer.  I saw a new doctor last week and she prescribed tirosint-200mcg per day.  I am very excited to see if this helps with being absolutely exhausted all the time and weight gain.  She ran a lot of hormone tests, but not for T3.  Should I have this checked?  I asked her about T3, and she said she would put me on it, but not for any length of time.  She wants to start with the tirosint and then try a diet pill of some kind.  Do people stay on T3 permanently?  Or will the tirosint be enough?  I have been on Synthroid and the generic.  She explained a lot to me and I like her much better than the last doctor I saw, but she talked a lot and did not listen to me or many of questions.  I have always been tired, but not as bad as I am now and I have never had problems with my weight.  Very Frustrating
Every person is different.  You will have to find out what is best for you.  Tirosint may be the new synthroid at some point.  It's a little cheaper as well.   I wonder how many folks are now on it.
Ps not sure about your diet pill but I would suggest trying just the thyroid hormone first.  You may just lose weird from the thryroid getting support.
What med/ dose were you on prior to the Tirosint?  

You need to have FREE T3 tested every time you have TSH and Free T4 (she IS testing that isn't she or is she dosing strictly by TSH levels?)..

Yes, some people stay on T3 med indefinitely -- I've been on it for over 2 yrs, and have no intention of going off it any time soon.  There are doctors who believe that giving T3 med causes osteoporosis and/or other conditions -- that's only a concern if your levels get too high and with regular testing (including Free T3 and Free T4 levels), that shouldn't happen.

Since Tirosint is basically hypoallergenic and absorbed more readily, it might be best if you try it alone for a while, but we'd need to see some lab results in order to be more specific about your individual situation.

If you have a copy of your latest labs, please post them, along with reference ranges, which vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own report.  If you don't have a copy of the report, your doctor is obligated to provide you with one, upon, request.......
The doctor kept my test results.  I know she wants my TSH levels around .03, and they are at 1.7.  My labs for TSH have always been pretty stable until recently (last set of labs).  I hadn't gone to the doctor for some time because of insurance.  She also tested me for PCOS, which came out fine.  She has no medical reason for the problems I'm having.  I just started the Tirosint on Wednesday.  I realize it must take a couple of weeks to notice if there is any change.  I am so hopeful.  I am only 43 and I should not feel this lousy.  I'm so tired "all" the time.  My job is stressful, and I work different shifts a lot, but even when I go to bed at 9pm, I don't feel much better than if I go to bed at 2am.  As far as the cytomel--I was on that right after the surgery, but not since.  I read all over on the internet about the benefits of T3, and my doctor sort of got mad.  I don't want to do anything that is bad for me, but at what point is your quality of life more important?  
I'm on 75 mcg a day of Tirosint, seems to be working fine. Skin itched and burned when on Synthroid.
I had thyroid cancer 3 years ago and now have hyposthyroidism, I recently starting taking trinosint, and it works wonderful. For two years I was off and on synthroid and levothyroxine, I felt tired and fatigued all the time. After as little as 2 weeks I started seeing a vast improvement; I am no longer tired, my weight is more managable, and I feel more energized to go about my normal activites. My endo told me the difference between the synthroid and trinosint is  while synthroid is not a generic drug it still has fillers in it and dies, as compared to trinosint which is just pure thyroxine.
I had my thyroid removed also.  I was miserable on both synthroid and levo.  Then my endo prescribed Tirosint 88mcg.  Like you, in 2 weeks, I noted a big difference.  Much better.  It's a little costly on my health insurance, but well worth the improvement in how I feel.  I recommend it to anyone who is struggling on synthroid and levo.
KNOWING about tirosint is good to know..im learning so much from this website..i have nodules..and im getting the radiation pill to kill them..and to know there are diffrent wys to be treated is a blessing..when i go to my endo next week..i will ask her about the tirosint..any thing to feel normal again..is a blessing..or real close to it..
Has anyone had/have the diarrhea from taking Synthroid or Tirosint.I was taking the Synthroid first & had the diarrhea very bad I was afraid I was gonna dehydrate or get sicker it was so bad,recently I was switched to Tirosint.I still seem to have the runs but not as much as when I was on the Synthroid.The Dr. said he didnt think it was my med. causing my problem but he switched it just to make sure.I just found out I had a problem w/ my thyriod so I've only been on med. about 4 months.I dont normally have a sensitive stomach to any med. but my belly has been very jumpy & it seems like its since I started the med.'s.Can someone help me out here!!!
I've been on Tirosint for a year now and no problems with diarrhea.  

You might be over medicated.  Can you start a separate thread and post your current thyroid levels, along with reference ranges?  That should be a  minimum of TSH, Free T3 and Free T4. Don' t forget the reference ranges, as these vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own report.  
I hope someone is still following this thread because I'm desperate for some advice! I recently switched to Tirosint from Armour and I'm having a rougher time than expected. I was on Synthroid for about 10 months and was doing "ok" but I really wanted to try Armour. So excited when my Dr agreed to try me on it so I switched about 7 months ago. I slowly declined and my hypo symptoms got worse. About 7 wks ago I got new labs and altho my TSH had almost tripled (0.68 to 1.88) its still "normal" so my dr refused to increase my dose. My free T4 was at the low end of the normal range. Plus I had gained back all 20 lbs I'd lost on Synthroid without any change to diet/exercise.

I was so frustrated I decided to switch back to a T4-only med and that's when my Dr told me about Tirosint. Seemed like a great option because I figured I'd get even better results than I did on Synthroid because of better absorption. So I took an old supply I had of Synthroid until I got my prescription for Tirosint (about 3wks) and I've been on Tirosint for about 4wks, for a total of 7wks on T4-only med.

I'm worried because I feel like I should be starting to improve by now but I feel worse than ever. My typical hypo symptoms are persisting and I continue to gain weight for no reason, plus I have awful anxiety and depression. I had some stomach issues for a few weeks like a previous poster mentioned but I have no idea if that was related to this med.

Should I be concerned that Tirosint just won't work for me? Which wouldn't make sense to me because Synthroid was decently effective and they're practically the same thing. Or is this just a result of switching from a combo med to T4-only med? I'm having trouble finding info on that kind of switch, everything I find refers to switching from T4-only to combo. Any advice? Thanks!
You need to give it a little more time in order to get a "true" reading of your labs. You should absolutely get your labs done after being on Tirosint for approximately 8 weeks. Then you will have a true reading. You need to make sure you have a Free T4 done with your TSH and a Free T3 to see how you are converting your T4 to T3. When you were on Armour, the T3 in it suppressed your TSH so it would make you look lower than you really are.
If your Free T4 continues to be in the low normal range, then you are hypo. You should be mid normal range.
Thank yeah I definitely plan to have her order free T3 next time, I'm not sure why but she never does. But my high TSH (when it almost tripled to 1.88) was while I was still taking Armour, right before I switched. I haven't had any labs done since switching. That's why I was so surprised because I've heard Armour really supresses TSH.

I guess I just thought 7 wks would b enough time to see some kind of improvement, but instead I've gotten worse...
I am new to hypothyroidism and I am not sure what my test results were to list right now but I started on Tirosint 75mg on Tuesday and I've been feeling so horrible!  I am not sure if it's the meds or a coincidence that I started getting sick the same day I started the meds.  I ended up in the ER a couple of hours after taking it with shortness of breath, chest tightness, tension headache, diarrhea, unquenchable thirst, dry mouth, my heart was fluttering and extreme fatigue.  I've been this way the past few days and my Endo said to keep taking the medicine.  I don't know what to do, as I stay home with my 2 yr old and just can't feel like this when I'm home alone with him.  Is this normal or could something else be wrong with me?  ER thought maybe allergies, went to Allergist today and it's not allergies, I do have an appt. with my PCP tomorrow and really hope it's something else that's curable ;) because I really really want Tirosint to work and I really want to start feeling better already!!
6 weeks ago I had a total thyroidectomy for multiple but localized pap carcinoma. I was on cytomel for 2 weeks and loved it. They took me off. Guess it is too hard on the pituitary with the up and down daily blood level swings.

Then they switched me to synthroid 137 micrograms. I weigh 140. I felt like hell. Depressed, crying, mood swings, wanted to jump out of my skin when I went to bed at night, not my normal althetic energetic self. 4 weeks later I had just started feeling a little better, but switched to tirosint in hopes that it was a better product. Had my labs checked same day. Results:

TSH was .06.  ref range .4-4.
Free T4 was 1.6     ref range .8-1.8
T3 98                      ref range 76-181
Thyroglobulin 3.3    ref range 2.0-35
TG antibodies <20  ref range <20

I think they want my TSH between .2 and .5

5 days later i feel terrible! Not sure what it is from. I am in bed for the last two days. Hot all the time, when I am normally not so. GI distress. Malaise, queezy, like I have a flu without the muscle and joint pain. I might have guessed it is from too much salt intake over the weekend and that affecting my inner ears, but I am sweating and the windows are open. Yes it is Texas, but it it not that warm here.

I read that Tirosint should not be taken with SSRIs, yet I take cymbalta. I am wondering if synthroid also should not be taken with SSRIs.

Any thoughts?

Synthroid & Triosint are both pure T4 meds.  So from a hormone and chemical standpoint they are identical. So drug interactions would likely also be identical unless the drug interaction is caused from the fillers in the Synthroid and Triosint has no fillers or dyes.

You're symptoms of hot & sweaty indicate that you may have switched over to being Hyper.  Due to the fact that Triosint is a liquid type cap and not a dry pill. The absorption of Triosint is higher than synthroid. I understand the premanufactured doses of Triosint are different and smaller doses than synthroid for this reason.

Your lab results show you to be near the very top of the range for FT4. So with the addition of a higher absorption or efficiency of the Triosint it I suppose is possible that the FT4 level is even higher now.

What was the dosage of synthorid (137 mcg I think) and what is the dose of Triosint you are taking now?

T4 meds are usually slow acting so it is a bit odd for you to suddenly go Hyper in a few days.  May be some other allergic reaction or something to the medicine itself.

Do you have your lab results of where you felt good on the T3 Cytomel only regiment?

It also appears that you have only a TOTAL T3 lab result and not a FREE T3 test done.
It sounds like you might be over medicated, and possibly need to drop your dosage of Tirosint.

flyingfool - your understanding of Tirosint is incorrect.  The pre-manufactured dosages of Tirosint are equivalent to either Synthroid or generic Levo.  They are NOT different or smaller.  No matter what the brand, the amount of medication is the same (i.e - 100 mcg is 100 mcg - it's just a difference of pill, with fillers/binders vs gelcap w/o fillers/binders.)

"Tirosint is available in 13 mcg, 25 mcg, 50 mcg, 75 mcg, 88 mcg, 100 mcg, 112 mcg, 125 mcg, 137 mcg, and 150 mcg dosage sizes."

These are the same dosages available in Synthroid or other brands.

Thank you for the clarification.  I thought I had read that the Triosint capsules were 88 mcg for example instead of 100 mcg Synthroid because of the better absorption of Triosint so they would have the anticipated identical final result.

Good.  Learned something new today.

But the thought that if she was on 137 mcg or Synthorid and if she is taking the same 137 mcg of Triosint, with the better absorption the already high T4 may have gone up even higher, resulting in hyper symptoms for her I think still seems sound.  

Reaction seems fairly fast but she may have been on the edge of hyper to start with and this just pushed her over the edge.
Because of the better absorption of Tirosint over pill type meds, some people who have been on pill type med, may need to drop down a notch when they take Tirosint; however, that's not always the case and the same dosages are available for both types of med.

I agree that scary is most likely over medicated and should probably cut back her dosage.
Seems like a good medication for those with allergy to Synthroid fillers, but there is nothing revolutionary about this drug. Yes it may 'absorb' a little bit better / quicker, but if you take your Synthroid like you should, on an empty stomach with a full glass of water, it's not worth switching over unless your just doing TERRIBLE on Synthroid, even then I might recommend Armour. IMHO, nothing to see here, liquid Synthroid..
Beware of placebo ladies and gents, I would ask an honest pharmacist about the drug before switching :)
I've been on Tirosint, since shortly after it came out in May 2010.  It's certainly not a "placebo".  

I was on levo pills for over 2 yrs, prior to being on Tirosint, and once I got on it, there was immediate improvement.  Ovviously, "liquid Synthroid" is something to see for some of us.
This is something I may look into as well. But I know I need T3 meds as well.

Isn't the T3 a pill? Do you take them at the same time?? Right now I am getting a custom combo capsule of T4 and T3...but my insurance will not pay for it like they gladly will  for synthriod.

If my insurance pays for this Tirosint....and I take a T3....it may not only work better but be more affordable!!!

Always hopeful in CA
Mia
Yes, the T3 med is a pill; you can take it at the same time as the Tirosint, or not, whichever works best for you.  It would also depend on the dosage of T3 med.

I'm on 88 mcg Tirosint, with an additional 5 mcg generic T3.  I take my Tirosint when I first get up in the morning, then, since I'm on such a low dose of T3, I wait and take that later in the  morning.  Most people find it beneficial to split their T3 med into more than one dose, but again, because my dose is so small, it's not worth the hassle.  If you ask the doctor to prescribe the medication in 5 mcg pills, it's easy to split the dose, without having to actually cut the pills, thereby being able to keep your levels more steady.  For instance, if you were on 10 mcg/day, you could take 1 5 mcg pill in the morning, and the other around noon, or so, but it's best not to take T3 after about 3:00, or it could interfere with sleep.  

Check with your insurance company about the Tirosint.  My insurance pays for it, but not as much as they pay for a generic levo.  
I am on both:  150 mcg Tirosint and 25 mcg Cytomel. I take my Tirosint in the morning and half of my 25 mcg pill at same time. I then take the other 1/2 approximately 5-6 hours later.
My insurance reimburses me for the cost of synthroid, so i only have a small amount to cover on that one. It is well worth the cost to me!
Tirosint has been absolutely wonderful for me! I would never want to go back on any of the other T4 meds.  
Thanks for your input. I am going to look into it.
Right now I am waiting ( hanging in there) for my 6 week test date and to level out on what I am on. I know I will most likely need to go up in at least the T4. The increase may be 115mcg from 110 mcgs.
I am wondering, I read from their web site that it is absorbed 103% over the pill form that is only 88% ....makes me think that I would do okay at 112 mcgs. But first I want to see how the blood tests for my Frees are
Mia
thank you for this wonderful dialogue on tirosint.

since i'm having sooo many problems with the levo, AFTER i go to the cardiologist [new heart problems since starting on the levo] i will ask about tirosint.

blessings to all.
I have been on 88mcg Tirosint now for 14 days, and I too have had chest tightness with heart palps. All my labs came back below the normal range. My dr now wants to switch me to Levoxyl. My symptoms are subsiding & I'd like to give Tirosint a little longer to work. Are you still taking Tirosint & how are you feeling?
I switched to Tirosint from Synthroid over a year ago.  Switched to the same dosage and it was too much. I now take half of the amount of Tirosint that I was taking with Synthroid and doing much better.  My body absorbed Tirosint much better than Synthroid.

I really like Tirosint as my allergy problems with Synthroid have all gone away.
I just started tirosint, have had headaches, panic attacks, pain in my lower abdomen, face numbness and muscle weakness. I'm on 100 mcg, feel better at night than during the day with an appetite at night but not during the day. Will be talking to my doctor tomorrow about this along with gastro problems and quick rise in BP's too. I'm allergic to all kinds of stuff, so additive free isn't always the best either I guess. So you aren;t the only one.
Can anyone tell if tirosint is safe during pregnancy..
I'm planning to switch from generic levo to tisrosint just becuase I don't want to take harmful dyes/fillers during pregnancy
If you are already pregnant, I'm not sure it's a good idea to switch. While some people have reactions to dyes and fillers in regular levo pills, they are not "harmful", unless you have a reaction and if you haven't yet, you probably won't.

The only difference between Tirosint and other brands of levothyroxine is that Tirosint is a gel cap, which dissolves more quickly and is supposed to have a higher absorption rate.  Some people find that they have to start Tirosint at a lower dosage because of the better dissolution and absorption.

No reason you shouldn't be able to take Tirosint during pregnancy.  As always, with pregnancy, make sure your thyroid hormone levels are tested monthly, throughout your pregnancy, because dosage may have to be increased, in order to insure adequate hormones for both you and the growing fetus.

I am using Tirosint. It is awesome! The doc said he only trusts this med because this has the least fluctuation in the hormon strength. Its made in Switzerland by a company called Akrimax. My doctor said the absorbtion is also a lot better also since its a gel capsule, Looks like a small vitamin D. I will never go back to other pills. I was feeling awful on generic levothyroxine my hair was falling out I gained weight I was tired and bloced up.
I am using tirosint. It is awesome! The doc said he only trusts this med because this has the least fluctuation in the hormon strength. Its made in Switzerland by a company called Akrimax. It is also absorbed a lot better into your system since it is a gel cap. It looks like a small vitamin D. I will never go back to the generic levothyroxine. My hair was falling out I gained weight and felt awful until my doc put me on this medication. I felt the difference within 10 days.
I'm the same way it seems. Have you found something that works?
Kitchen_cook24 hasn't been active on the forum since her post on this thread, back in Jan 2011, so it's unlikely that you get a response from her.  

If you would like to start your own thread, since this is a very old and long thread, maybe we can help you figure out why you're having difficulties.

You can start a new thread by clicking the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page, type your question, then click the green "Post a Comment" button.  Or you can access the home page, via the following link and follow the same directions for posting a new thread:  
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73