Thyroid Disorders Community
Is it normal for TSH to go up and down?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Is it normal for TSH to go up and down?

I've had my TSH tested three times.  First time it was 2.88, second time 3.60, and most recently 2.96.  This seems a little on the high side, but it doesn't seem to be going up so my doc doesn't think anything is wrong with my thyroid.  Is it normal for TSH to change like this?  I don't think I've ever been tested for thyroid antibodies, should I just demand the comprehensive thyroid test next time I see the doctor?  T3, T4, fT3, fT4, thyroid anti-bodies, TSH, I think that would about cover it, right?
Tags: Thyroid
Hi Matt, I would ask for those tests you listed, and a copy.

Are you having any symptoms?
I am having some symptoms, seems like the normal vague thyroid stuff.  Fatigue, muscle pain, difficulty concentrating etc.  My doc thinks it's just anxiety, which makes some sense because I do seem to feel better when I'm not as stressed.  The symptom that makes me think of my thyroid is hair loss.  My hair is definitely much thinner than it used to be, and I seem to lose a lot of hair in the shower.  I think I'm a bit young to be losing my hair, and it doesn't seem to fit the normal profile of male pattern baldness.

I guess I'm just kind of confused because my TSH went up to 3.6 and now about 6 weeks later, it's back down under 3.  I guess I can't do anything but ask for more in-depth tests the next time I go see the doctor.  It's frustrating to be told there's nothing wrong with me when I don't feel like myself anymore.
Hi Matt,
I wouldn't ask for the T3 and T4. They're outdated tests. The TSH, FT3, FT4, thyroid antibodies, and possibly a TSI would be good.

I had the same thing you have happening back in 1998/1999. I felt awful at times but was told I didn't have anything wrong with my thyroid. I had antibodies done for another disease  which can be a false negative for and really be a sign of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. My antibodies were three times the normal for the test. So it's obvious I had Hashi's back then. My TSH tests were running 2.17, 2.77, then 4.16. Yet I was never treated at 4.16.

When your thyroid is starting to fail it does the loop de loop as I have nicknamed it. Up and down.

Hair loss is a symptom of hypothyroidism as well as the fatigue, muscle pain, and difficulty concentrating. Oh yes, anxiety and depression are too.

I had doctors treat me with anti-anxiety and anti-depression meds for years but never did the treat the cause, my Hashi's.
3 months ago my TSH was 3.5, I was really tired (extreme) couldn't do exercise and lots of days I had insonnia. One month later felt a little better my TSH was 2.55. Two weeks later I felt tired again and checked my TSH and it was 2.9. So it goes up and down.
Yes test for those antibodies and your FREE's

You could be at a subclincial hypothyroid with symptoms and your doc is ignoring it because of your TSH reaading.

Anxiety is the #1 Dx for a hypoT patient experiencing sympotms. Don't buy into it unless you feel he/she is correct.

Get that TSH below 1.0 and you may feel better.

and get the Free T3 high
Stella is right, I forgot to say that I have Hashimoto, high TPO antibodies (so my thyroid has a problem, autoimmune thyroiditis). But because my TSH is like this (3.5; 2.5; 2.9; "normal range") I don't have still any medication. The good thing is that in hospital the normal range for TSH is 0.4-4, so in September perhaps they will give me some medication.
Just came from my monthly Endo visit.

The normal levels are listed below:

THS: 0.465-4.680
T3: 0.70-1.70
T4: 0.8-1.5

My TSH, this month, was 0.7.  Last month it was 1.5, the month before 1.7.  T3 & T4 are finally normal.