Thyroid Disorders Community
L-Tyrosine is good for hypos? Any one takes it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi, all.

I just read about the L-Tyrosine is a good supplement for
hypothyroidism. And it seems that the supplement recommended by Mary
Shomson also has this substance in it. Does anyone take it and feel any
difference? Does it really work? Following is the description by some
manufacturers

N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine is a more rapidly absorbed and bioavailable form of
the amino acid L-tyrosine and is less prone to urinary excretion.

L-Tyrosine is converted in the body to key biologic compounds, including
epinephrine, dopamine, L-dopa, CoQ10, thyroid hormones and melanin. The
B vitamins pyridoxine (B-6) and folic acid are provided to assist in the
conversion process.

L-Tyrosine is a non-essential amino acid that plays an important role in
the production of neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine. In
addition, because L-Tyrosine is necessary for the synthesis of thyroid
hormone and epinephrine (adrenaline), L-Tyrosine supports healthy
glandular function and stress response.
Ummm...for what it's worth, I gave L-Tyrosine a shot (along with kelp---->for the iodine) for about a month and didn't find any anecdotal difference.  Admittedly, one month is not a great deal of time so I'm probably not the best person to comment and I have absolutely no idea if it made any 'clinical'? (as in affecting measurable hormone levels) difference.  

Are you taking it now?

Janet
No. I was just asking and wondering.:)
It is in my supplement package. I take a daily vitamin package called Fatigue to Fantastic by Dr. Teitelbaum. It is formated for hypothyroidism directly

I can't say for sure if only the l-Tyrosine is the only thing in there that makes me feel better - but all the vitamins-minerals involved can improve the quality of health for you.

I cringe on the kelp. I found it horrible. I balanced quite well on potassium iodide.
Hi, stella.

For iodine, I still hesitate if we hypos should take it or not. I am trying my best to avoid the multivitamins that contain it.
I don't think being hypo is the issue as much as being Hashimoto hypothyroid
I was going to take seaweed in the form of Bladder rack? but my daughter said it can have poisons in it from the sea and that I would have to watch for dosage. I have had two tests for Hypo and my Dr thinks I have a goiter...any one felt this seaweed is good?
Yes, I take L-Tyrosine along with many other herbs and OTC supplements. For me it helps with depression associated with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

For 10 years I was having problems and doctors thought I was nuts. I finally found a doctor who diagnosed my Hashimotos. But those 10 years of being untreated destroyed my health. I ended up with a huge weight gain (150 pounds), high blood pressure, high cholesterol and Type 2 Diabetes, depression, chronic fatigue and chronic all over body pain. I became infertile as well and ended up having to have a hysterectomy.

Here are some of the things I doing to help my depression associated with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis:

I bought a SAD lightbox. I live in an area that gets very little sunlight. It rains and snows a lot and lots of fog. Only the summer months is there enough sunlight and then it gets well past 100 degrees and it's difficult to be outside. My vitamin D level is deficent so I'm on vitamin D and the SAD lightbox also helps with this. I really notice the difference using my SAD lightbox.

I also am taking OTC supplements for depression: 5-HTP; L-Tyrosine; DL-Phenylalanine; Mucuna Pruiens, L-DOPA and SAMe.

The 5-HTP is really helping my sleep and mood considerably! When I wake up in the morning now I feel refreshed and not tired and achy all over like I used to when I woke up.

I recommend anyone reading this post to do some Internet research on OTC herbs and supplements but please make sure they don't interact with your prescription medications or with other herbs and OTC supplements. Some herbs and OTC supplements make some health conditions worse. Always talk to your doctor and pharmacist before starting any herbs and OTC supplements.
I started to take l-tyrosine 2 yrs ago when my thyroid was really bad and it was too much for me. I then started Norwegian Kelp and seaweed (kelp). I also started on Lorna Vanderheaghe's Thyrosmart and Estrosmart. The first three months I had hot flashes consistently and a few mood swings. After that everything leveled and I never felt better! Haven't had a problem since!
Everyone needs to do their own research though.
Who keeps calling it hypos? That's as irritating as people calling California "Callie."  Nobody calls people with hypothyroidism "hypos." Please stop posting until you learn adult words
Is L-tyrosine safe to take while breast feeding? My thyroid is totally out of whack and I prefer natural treatment over the big pharmaceuticals. Thank you for your help...
Its working for me
Hi KrissyHypoThyriod37, I tried L-Tyrosine and it did nothing for me. But that isn't to say it might not help you. Just remember that L-Tyrosine is NOT thyroid hormone replacement. You still need to be on something like either Synthroid or it's generic levothyroxine or Armour Thryoid. If you can get it, I'd try Armour Thyroid. I found it worked better for me than Synroid and the generic levothyroxine.