Thyroid Disorders Community
Night shift

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Night shift

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease last year, had the radioactive iodine treatment and now take synthroid. I am thinking about taking a night shift job and was wondering when I should take the medication. Is it ok to take it at variable times, depending on if I am working or not? Always take it in the afternoon? Or split the dose? I am concerned about my energy level at night if I continue to take it in the morning and also wonder if I will be able to sleep during the day.
It is probably most important to take synthroid at the same time and in the same way every day (meaning with water every time or with coffee every time or with food every time if that's the way you take it).  

Synthroid is pretty long lasting, it takes a while to build up in your system when you start taking it, and it takes a while to "wear off" when you stop taking it (just ask any of those how had to wait and wait for their levels to drop before they could have RAI).   If you happen to miss a single dose, I doubt most people would notice a difference.  

I think your worry about sleeping after taking it might be valid, as I often have a hard time going back to sleep after taking mine an hour before I get up in the morning.
I agree - I think if you take this job you need to shift your meds to meet the demands and stay on track with it everyday as the same.