Aa
A
A
Close
Night shift
I was diagnosed with Graves Disease last year, had the radioactive iodine treatment and now take synthroid. I am thinking about taking a night shift job and was wondering when I should take the medication. Is it ok to take it at variable times, depending on if I am working or not? Always take it in the afternoon? Or split the dose? I am concerned about my energy level at night if I continue to take it in the morning and also wonder if I will be able to sleep during the day.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
176557 tn?1222893911
It is probably most important to take synthroid at the same time and in the same way every day (meaning with water every time or with coffee every time or with food every time if that's the way you take it).  

Synthroid is pretty long lasting, it takes a while to build up in your system when you start taking it, and it takes a while to "wear off" when you stop taking it (just ask any of those how had to wait and wait for their levels to drop before they could have RAI).   If you happen to miss a single dose, I doubt most people would notice a difference.  

I think your worry about sleeping after taking it might be valid, as I often have a hard time going back to sleep after taking mine an hour before I get up in the morning.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
393685 tn?1425816122
I agree - I think if you take this job you need to shift your meds to meet the demands and stay on track with it everyday as the same.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources