Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid and Lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid and Lupus

I was diagnosed with Hashimots disease two years ago.  After finding the right medication and getting my thyroid levels under control, I still have terrible symtoms (symptoms) of fatigues, chest pain, body aches, I'm shaky, my joints swell in the morning and the lower part of my legs and feet hurt when I work out. I want to know if having hashimots disease can also cause you to have  lups?
Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease.
Lupus is an autoimmune disease. There are many.

Once you have developped one autoimmune condition, you are somewhat at risk to develop another one.

Rheumatoid Arthritis is also an autoimmune disease.

It's not a given that you will develop other autoimmune conditions, but it is not unusual.
There are antibody's that are particular to each, sometimes you can have a false positive or false negative, I have both diseases and many more autoimmune and now congestive heart failure, nurse for 20 years, massage therapist for 12, and yoga instructor, pretty much bed ridden at present so feel your pain, be with uplifting people ( some will disappear because terminal and chronic can just be "DOWNERS" but keep the exotic flowers in your garden that survive and love and support regardless, watch positive funny things, laugh and cry if you want, get angry sometimes, invite the anger in and have tea with it and then send it on it's way even for a spell to take your mind away for awhile. Hashimpoto's meds or not made my life a living hell so it just ***** but that is just me. Look into other healing modalities like prayer or mediation, yoga, acupuncture, hypnosis which some can be downloaded free and listened to say on your iPod even while sleeping, trying to have a positive attitude, which is NO easy thing and yet we must try. Ask this what it has come to teach you and how you can heal yourself even if that is as simple as learning to live with it the best you can. Healing means many things. Will be lifting u up in spirit.Do the best you can. Everyone at some point in their journey will have a difficult thing or events that kick them off the horse so you are never alone.
This is a very old thread and neither megan, nor AR-10 have been active on the forum for several years; I'm sure megan will not respond to your comments.