Thyroid Disorders Community
What do I do about dangerously low cortisol levels?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My recent bloodwork shows that I have a cortisol level less than 2 and almost undetectable (optimal is 7-25).  I feel awful most of the time.  My T4 level was low so I have hypothyroidism.  I was wondering how you treat low cortisol and what causes it.  I know it is related to stress, but that is about it.  Can anyone help?  I have a great doctor, but am looking for some additional information before I go back to see her to discuss the results.  I would appreciate anything that you all could tell me about what causes low cortisol and what should be done about it.  Thanks so much!

if your cortisol is so low, you will need to take cortisol orally.  It is also important to take extra if you are sick or stressed.

Your doctor will work with you closely (I hope) and do further testing to define the problem.

You would also need injectable cortisone to have injected in case of emergency and you can't take oral cortisone.

Please see your doctor sooner than later.  And if you are sick the attending doctor must be told about the low cortisone.
After years of decline and a lot of uninformed docs, I have Premature Ovarian failure, Hashi, MCTD, SJOGRENS, RAYNAUD'S, LUPUS AND RA POSITIVE, AND BIOPSY POSITIVE FOR SARCOIDOSIS.  I WAS HANGING IN UNTIL ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO..AND I REMEBER THE DAY...SOMETHING CHANGED....NOW 3-4 YEARS LATER, I FINALLY FIND OUT PART OF OR THE WHOLE PROBLEM DUE TO MONTHS RESEARCHING ON THE COMPUTER...WHICH PISSED MY FAMILY OFF
THEY THOUGHT I WAS WASTING MY TIME...

WALKED INTO A DOCS OFFICE, had already given him my blood work,

AND OUT COMES "YOU ARE MAKING CATASTROPHICALLY LOW LEVELS OF CORTISOL".....

ADRENAL INS.  BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN READING AM I A SORT OF TICKING TIME BOMB UNTIL THE NEW BLOOD WORK IS IN AND I START NEW MEDS?  ALSO AN ENDO JUST DX'D ME WITH LOW THYROID....THE NEW DOC SAID HASHIMOTO, SO I STARTED ON SYNTHROID LOWEST DOSE..BUT I HEARD THAT COULD MAKE IT WORSE.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

THANKS
AMY
Amy

Low thyroid is associated with the adrenals. With having low levels and starting meds for it - the adrenals may react against the thyroid meds.

Your doctor is looking at things with meds correctly - starting low is key.

Have you been put on HC for the adrenals? Stress dosing with HC can work together with the thyroid meds to get the system back together. You doctor must know HC protocals to get the best benefit with both thyroid and adrenal repair.

I am reading at all the diagnoises you recieved and on the flip side of good things - If you correct the adrenals and the thyroid levels with your doctor you could eliminate most of those other conditions.

Same thoughts could be applied here to the original poster also