Will I be fat again if I get this fixed?

A little background - over the past few months I've dropped a significant amount of weight, I can't concentrate, have symptoms that resemble irritable bowel and nightly I suffer with hives.  I've never been vain but prior to the weight loss I was a chubbo who ate very little and for whom food diaries and exercise made no difference.  If there's no middle ground for my Thyroid I'd rather be this way, skinny.

My mom visited me for Thanksgiving and was gracious enough not to mention my weight  but she did say, when I showed her my driver's license photo, "You're chubby in this picture and look at how big your neck is.  Hon, you need to have your thyroid checked."

Will getting treatment cure me of this confusion and keep me from blimping up?   I want to be healthy but I don't want to be fat again.

Thanks,
Flora
I had the same problem, lost so much weight and enjoyed being small rather than big until they put me on meds then I became so overweight that I could hardly move. I am off the meds, and happy to say I am losing the weight slowly and I am comfortable with my weight, everybody is different, people react to meds in different ways I noticed. I also know from experience that if I take the meds, it slows me down and I can hardly function as a normal person, if I don't take the meds after a while I start to have symptoms of Graves so either way it is a losing battle for me, I have this for life, we adapt to what we have it needs to be handled as we go along, some remove their thyroid altogether and then have other issues to content with, there is no permanent cure for thyroidism, adapt, one of the hardest thing ever in thyroid problems is the weight issue it comes with the territory, when you manage, if you manage to get your thyroid balance, just becareful of the fatty foods and then you will be able to manage your weight wll. Tina
Thank you, Tina, and congratulations on your weight loss!

I have a doctor I trust so I'll keep my appointment and see what he says about my bloodwork.  
I too lost a ton of weight prior to my Graves DX - I felt fantastic - then symptoms kicked in.

The meds started my weight gain and then RAI to kill the gland off. I gained a total of 40 pounds and now finally I am starting to lose a pound here and there is starting to happen.

I have been fighting the weight for about 6 yrs - I know how you feel.  I was anorexic (sp) in my high school years and early twenties - so mentally the weight does take a toll on me too.

You just have to keep plugging along and find what works best.

Being in the state you are in is not healthy and could hurt you - You must put aside the weight thoughts and take care of the real problem that created you to lose this weight.

It 's a struggle - but getting balanced does pay off and you will find yourself healthier if you deal with it now.
I have a big hyper nodule, not Graves. I haven't lost an ounce.  No fair!  I asked my endo, "But can't we wait until I get skinny?"
His reply was, "You don't lose fat.  You lose muscle and bone."
I think I would rather be plump for now.  This is just the beginning of my hyper journey.  I could change my mind later.
Wow, muscle and bone? No wonder I have skinny flap-flap arms!
You won't necessarily become fat if you get fixed. I had a TT 14 yrs ago. Yes at first you do gain weight, but you will go back to normal once your levels become normal. It will take a while to get your levels regulated, but be patient. I never became over weight, and always stayed within my normal weight. Of course maybe I am the exception, I don't know, but I never became overweight.

I can tell you this, I did not like the symtoms I had when I had graves/hyper.
Hi Totie, what's a TT?  
Hi ---

I have been on Methimazole for 13 months.  The Endo has begun slowly decreasing the medication.  Still have symptoms, but not nearly as bad as a year ago.  Symptoms still, are not fu.