Thyroid Disorders Community
cruciferous vegetables vs. green smoothies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi everyone,
Thyroidectomy 2005, Levoxyl 137, 64 y.o., hair loss, weight gain, sluggishness, etc., as reported by many. I've just found this site after years of thinking these symptoms would be my state for ever, but am now encouraged by all your posts to check my levels of free T3 and T4 more frequently, and try some different dosages.  However, I'm very DIScouraged to read about the contra-indication for cruciferous vegetables - for years I've been eating large green smoothies daily, with either chard, kale or spinach as the main ingredient, and feeling both healthier and more virtuous (!) as a result.  For the last year or so, however, I've noticed that I sometimes feel more sluggish after one, and sometimes that my blood pressure has gone up.  At the time, as high blood pressure was my issue, I did some research and found vitamin K2 (found in leafy greens) to be defined as a coagulant, and therefore contra-indicated for high BP, and thought if I could just bring my BP down I could still tolerate the kale in smoothies.  Which I did. But now I read on this site that it's that whole plant family that is contra-indicated for thyroid issues - I can't stand it!  I live on the things! Can someone point me to a trustworthy source of information on this, or tell me if I have to stop eating smoothies altogether, or will the vegetables be OK if I just cook them, or ferment them, first?
A lot of questions, but my entire healthy diet has been thrown for a loop!
Cruciferous veggies are goitrogens, which means they can cause inflamation (inflammation) of the thyroid.  You don't have a thyroid, so this does not apply to you at all.  I don't know how they affect BP, but as far as thyroid is concerned, you have absolutely no worries.

The symptoms you state, however, sound like you are undermedicated.  Do you have recent labs and reference ranges to post?
Thanks Goolarra, for responding, and for all your other helpful responses to people's questions here.  I know nothing beyond my doctor's statement that my labs were "in the normal range", so I'll inquire further and post them here soon.  I'm so relieved about the veggies!  Thanks again.
Vitamin K was originally identified as a fat soluble nutrient required for normal blood coagulation. More research shows vitamin K is necessary for integrating calcium into bone, preventing calcium deposit within blood vessels (arterial calcification) and is also a significant anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory nutrient.

Excerpt from the article "Vitamin K Prevents Hypertension":

"Calcification of arteries is another factor which promotes coronary heart disease. It also reduces the area available for circulation. Thus, calcium deposits in the arteries promote the onset of hypertension. Vitamin K deficiency promotes calcium deposition in the arteries.

Warfarin which antagonizes vitamin K increases calcification of the arteries. Vitamin K is concerned with the formation of a protein called matrix gla protein (MGP). This protein protects against arterial calcification. It is clear that vitamin K deficiency leads to reduced formation of MGP and therefore, the onset of hypertension is promoted."
Well, there you go...enjoy your veggies and that virtuous feeling without guilt!
Hey everyone,

How much should I worry about cruciferous vegetables if I am being treated for hypo with Hashimoto's? I adore kale and had been eating smoothies with a leaf or two of raw kale lately... Does cooking help? Should I avoid it entirely or just limit consumption each week?

Thanks!
I have Hashi's, too, and i eat cruciferous veggies all the time, cooked and raw.  Cooking destroys goitrogens.  

If these veggies cause your thyroid to swell or cause thyroid discomfort, then by all means avoid them.  If they don't, chow down!  They're good for you in every other way.
Thanks! I would have been very sad to do without!
Thanks Red Star! It's amazing how much confusing information there is out there - looks like I can now relax about this part of the conundrum too.  What a great resource you all are!