Thyroid Disorders Community
thyroidectomy scar removal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

thyroidectomy scar removal?

I had total thyroidectomy 7 yrs ago... now everything is normal but i have operation marks in my neck, I want to fade this scar completely... .is there any solution to this..?
applied so many gels n lotions... dont want to do plastic surgery....just want to fade it to match with my skin tone..

thanks in advance..
oosh
Try using Mederma.  It won't make it completely go away, but mine is barely noticeable unless I point it out to people.
Seven years and you can still see it? Everyone has told me that mine will fade and be barely noticable within about a year!? My dh has had major major issues with this scar on my neck and I have felt like it is healing pretty well so far (3 months) but if your's is still showing noticably after 7 years that worries me. Is yours still redish-purple or raised or what? Did they do it in the fold of the neck, like in a natural line? Sorry, totally freaking me out, my hubby has really struggled with this, thus causing me some major self consiousness too. :O(
Darla
What color is your skin?   Caucasian skin usually will settle down within a few years but darker skin may not.  A friend of mine has quite dark, African American, skin and her scar from 15 years ago remains a different color from the rest of her skin.  I have seen some scarring on Hispanic and Asian skin that heals quite well but is a bit more noticeable than Caucasian.  Usually the lighter the skin the less visible the scar.

Mederma and some Rx scar medications can help.  You might want to talk to a dermatologist.  Plastic surgery won't really help unless you have a lot of raised scar tissue - a surgeon could remove that but there will still be an incision line.

Talk to a good dermatologist.
One more thing - there is an expert forum for cosmetic surgery - that might be a good place to ask.
Thanks for ur suggestions...

DarlaLOU - Let me answer to your question.? my stiches are made horizontally...usualy its vertical with few stiches...What all I can remember so far is..they have done single stitch horizontally...
my mom also been operated few yrs earlier to me..here is totally clear and mixed with skin now....
thts worrying me...

utahmomma - Myself is an Asian skin color with medium complexion..there is no redness near the scar..I had talked to few dermatologist..and tried their prescription given like contractubex...etc...even they said..its a gud scar..no lumps....only visibility makes a difference...
Not interested to do cosmetic surgery..oh..one more surgery..no chance..

Now days..some friend from australia suggested BIO-OIL, so using that...

Try Bio-Oil - worked a treat on mt TT and nech dissection scars.  Readily available at most drug stores.
Jennifer
Is BIO-OIL available in the US?  I'm hoping that my mother is going to break down and get her nasty thyroid removed this year and I'd like to get it for her.
I'd like to know if its available in the US too...I'll stock up pre-surgery!
Hey - I found Bio-oil online at Walgreens.com and at drugstore.com!  I hear my mother's "reality check" thyroid surgery present in the works.

Did bio-oil really usefull..? how long we have to continue using?

Bio-Oilo is GREAT - I have been using it for 5 months and plan to continue.  Available in the US but not Canada.
I had a thyroidectomy one year ago exactly and it's healing very well. You can still see the line, but it fades more each month. Every night, I rub vitamin E oil on it and during the day, if I'm wearing a turtle neck shirt, I put cocoa butter cream with vitamin E on it.

DarlaLOU, are you saying that your husband is struggling with your scars? That's crazy! I'm sorry to hear that. :(
I had my surgery 13 years ago, and you can still see the scar.  I dont have a fold in my neck hence nowhere to put the scar. It is like a rose pink in
color still and not raised but not flat either. The rosiness of it is also a problem because I have an olive complexion. I am now looking in to ways to have it removed, etc.
My scar is only 4 months old, but I have smooth skin without a fold in my neck either.  I think it will always be visible.  It's kind of a bummer, but its much better than being hyperthyroid.
yes its i saw it at wal mart