weight loss for competition
Has anyone had a thyroid / lymph node dissection for thyroid cancer and continued to be able to loose enough weight to compete in fitness / body-building competitions.  Despite a high protein-low carb - low fat diet and appropriate exercise I am now unable to get the leannes I need.  I have tried a 6week course of thermogenics which worked (however this is not recommended) for people with thyroid condition and my t4 elevated to above 19 and my TSH no longer remained suppressed.  I can only thiink that I would ask my doctors if they will lower my thyroxine dose to a level that I can take the thermogenics to achieve weight loss.  If anyone has managed to overcome this and compete would be most interested in hearing from you.  Thanks
Okay . . . sigh, here goes.

If you have had thyroid cancer and are on thyroid replacement meds to suppress any OTHER thyroid cancer then why, oh, why would you want to risk increasing your TSH (and jump-starting any remaining cancer) for body building?  Trust me, recurrences aren't worth it!

Okay - that's my mom-side speaking.

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma '03
recurrence and RAI '06 and possibly '06
three sisters with papillary carcinoma (one with Stage II and three recurrences)
Yep...the weight issue..or rather "I feel fatter" syndrome that most docs don't ack. I haven't been able to figure it out either. One endo said this type of cancer can make us insulin resistant...so that could be the theory? I came into this cancer healthy and continue to be healthy/exercise (but it is now lots of work) but can't reach that athletic look I had. It's been 2 years. WEight is maybe 5 lbs more. Of course the " intential overdose on thyroid meds for TSH suppression" makes me exhausted! My diagnosis was 2 yrs ago..had TT with lymph node resecction and RAI. Have yet to be "clean"...either has persistant or recurrent thyca. Getting ready for second surgery on lymph nodes...will maybe do RAI. I just want my "body/life/energey" back. So if you figure out this weight thing...let me know! Good luck!