2 year old with stiff and swollen neck
Hello, my 2 yr old daughter woke up 3 days ago with a fever of 102.4 and a stiff neck she was holding her head so I figured she also had a  headache, as the day went by her neck started to swell on the right side a right lymph node just underneath her jaw so I took her to the emergency room and she was given a spinal tap, menengitis was negative however I was only told that she has a pretty bad middle ear infection and was prescribed an antibiotic, the thing is that 3 days later she is still pretty stiff to her neck and will not look up or sideways because it hurts too much she still has the swelling and does not want to eat she wakes up in the middle of the night with I think is a headache because she doesn't talk yet she can't tell me and tries to switch sides in her crib but has a hard time doing it.....has anyone heard of these symptoms before on a child and what it means she hasn't had fever for a day now but the other symptoms are not getting any better, please help...

If she has any mosquito bites on her, consider getting her tested for West Nile Virus. Lyme disease can also cause the same symptoms and so if she's had any tick bites, let her physician know.

Hopefully it is an acute infection that will pass soon.

Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.