Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Choking sensation, throat tightness, please any advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I've been experiencing choking sensation and tightness in a throat for a few months now.  Anything around the neck (clothes, chain, even the belt in car),
sometimes bending or tight clothes around the waist cause choking. Laryngoscopy, gastroscopy are OK. Found small nodule on my thyroid. (ENT wants to do the biopsy under the U/S, but he says he doesn't think it is the cause of my symptoms). So far no answers and no help.  Started to get depressed.   Anyone who knows anything about these symptoms please help!
1 Comment
do you smoke?
no, I don't smoke
Was acid reflux (LPR or GERD) ruled out? As well: thyroid (tightness around the waist wouldn't fit into this, I don't think but perhaps the rest) and anxiety?

hi ellei,
           I am suffering from the tightness around my throat, i seem to be always clearing my throat all the time too, i hjad a total thyroidectomy in 1993 and i have been fine since then, until now. I have been for more scans and bloodtests and the whole body scan showed cells in my thyroid bed so i have to go for RAI treatment, i am wondering if the tightness  has anything to do with the cells found, what do you think?
Hi Ellie,  I had UPPP surgery in 2001.  I am experiencing some difficulty with straining to swallow.  I have problems with acid reflux at times also.  I think my throat is tightening at times during the day and causes much discomfort.  I wear dentures which I think is adding to the stretching discomfort.  I am thinking about having my dentures trimmed down to see if this will eliviate the problem.  I have been looking for someone anyone who has this same thing happening to them.  I have gone back to my ENT doctor but he don't see anything that could be a problem to me so he prescribed some anti-depressants.  I also recently had gastric bypass surgery and seems all this started happening afterwards.  I'm really praying and trying to figure out why my body is starting to feel sooo! bad.  I don't know if this helps you but I can relate to what you are going through.  The Lord will help us and will soon reveal an answer because nothing lasts forever.  By His strips I am healed!
One possibility is hypothyroidism. You need to have your TSH checked.
My throat constricts whenever I get talking about upsetting topics. I was on a hike and chatting with a health care professional and the topic got around to suing my dentist for a mistake he made that cost me a tooth. As I got upset my throat constricted, and I could not get enough air to keep up with the other hikers. I asked that we change the topic, we stepped to the side of the trail for 2-3 min, I took the deepest breaths I could, calmed myself by the brief rest and the swelling receded and I could continue. I would look for emotional or situational triggers. Having to climb a steep hill on a hike when my throat is already narrow and it is hot will cause constriction. I have reflux ( I use Pariet 10 mg) and Post Traumatic Stress that made my throat grow smaller and I also have laryngeal spasm which is instant clamping shut, quite different from the gradual constriction. Lucky me, all that happening in my throat!
I am having the exact same symptoms you describe with the your throat constricting when having an upsetting conversation. My neck visibly swells up with my nodes, i get flush and red and get severe shakes and stutter. This came out of the blue and is getting worse and worse. Its so bad, I am having a very hard time coping. I also the sweats, racing heart, bowl problems, RLS, swelling and pounding in my chest. etc. etc. These attacks get really bad during upsetting times but any stimulus causes them to occur, even the ringing of the phone. The attacks last four hours and I get them daily. I am now housebound. I have lost most of my friends. The doctors have found a few minor things, I am slightly anemic, but nothing  to explain this. I have a long medical history that includes the worst case of salmonella they had ever seen, and encephalitis that left me disabled with neurological problems, followed by Spinal surgery. But that happened in the late 90's. I was doing much better until this suddenly came on and slowly became worse and worse and worse over the last 8 months. I am at my literal wits end. I get 5 minutes with a doc to explain all this and get sent out with a prescription that does nothing. I am so tired of these doctors spending 3-5 minutes and then not perusing a real solution. I have tried diet changes, and everything I can think of. I am truly very scared.
Any suggestions or... anything? I wish all who are suffering better days to come.
peace
T
Do I ever feel for you. I have had the problem for over 30 years. Consulted many doc's, with no answer. If I wear a tight hat, anything around the neck, too tight of a belt, too tight of shoes, bend over, even at time my watch band being too tight, this will cause tightening of the throat, chocking, and gaging. Course high blood pressure follows, all of which cuases me great concern. I wish someone would find a solution. Most of the condition have worsen with years. At first it was anything around the neck. I do not smoke, have had tonsels and adnoids removed.
Hello Ellie,

Check out the Intracranial Hypertension Research Foundation, check out what is IH then symptoms, then other symptoms.  Hopfully you don't have it.  But doesn't hurt to check out.

Good Luck!

Suzanne