Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Loss Of Balance, Extreme Dizziness, Leg Weakness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Since September 2005, I've been having dizzy spells.  Before they started (sometime in April 2005), I had severe diarrhea for 4 months straight.  At the end of August 05, the diarrhea stopped, and I was fine.  Then, within a few weeks, I was at work and collapsed to my knees because I lost my balance.  Up until that point, that had never happened to me before.  At the time of the first dizzy spell, I was on Hydrocodone 750/7.5 for teeth pain.  I thought it might have been the medicine, so I quit taking it altogether.  The dizzy spells continued to happen, though.

I ended up going to the doctor after waiting for a month to make sure it wasn't the Hydrocodone.  He found a mild ear infection in my left ear and prescribed antibiotics.  A few weeks later, I returned to find out that I now had a mild ear infection in BOTH ears.  I was prescribed a different string of antibiotics.  After a few more weeks, I came back and it had progressed into a major ear infection in both ears.  He gave me another round of antibiotics and I went home.  At my next appointment, he told me the infection was gone and my balance should be fine soon.  He prescribed me Meclazine for the dizziness in the meantime, which didn't work at all.

Since then, I've been dizzy pretty much all of the time.  What's even more odd is that I feel BETTER when I'm moving, rather than when I'm sitting still.  So when I'm driving, I feel perfectly fine, except when I turn my head either way.  

Here are my symptoms.

Dizziness
Weakness in both legs (generally when going DOWN stairs or squatting)
Anxiety attacks (only when I have a very bad dizzy spell)
Fatigue

A week ago, I got up for work (I work nights, by the way) and was very dizzy, but went ahead and got dressed thinking it would go away. I was so bad my wife had to lead me out and up the stairs to get outside.  I ended up calling into work because it wasn't just dizziness, my eyes were so blurred I couldn't see a foot in front of my face.  It was almost like I had a film covering both of my eyes, even with my glasses on!  Since this happened, my spells have been more constant and worse than before.  

Are there any ideas?  I've been going through this for 3 years now with no real explanation.  If you have any questions for me, please let me know.  Thanks for any help.
1 Comment

Important causes of dizziness include hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) or hypotension (low blood pressure) .Pls get yourself evaluated for that.

Sometimes lack of proper sleep or taking stress can also lead to dizziness. Sometimes, there are partial or complete blockages in the arteries that supply the brain with blood.  These blockages can cause a temporary loss of blood flow (called transient ischemic attack, or TIA for short), or permanent loss of blood flow (called stroke; also called cerebrovascular accident).This can lead to impaired blood flow through these arteries and so dizziness. In such cases CT brain can be useful.

Get yourself examined by an eye specialist too as dizziness can also be caused by refractory changes and changes in the power of accommodation of the eyes. Ear infections and other causes like Meniere’s disease,acoustic neuroma or inner ear diseases can also lead to dizziness. Some other causes of dizziness are neurological causes like tumors, anemia, endocrine disorders like thyroid, adrenal glands, and pituitary gland disorders,anxiety and panic attacks,certain  medications,cervical spondolysis,vertebrobasilar insufficiency and carotid sinus syndrome.

Pls get yourself properly evaluated by a neurologist and get CT or MRI head along with blood tests to find out a confirmatory diagnosis.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you had any other queries.

I am experiencing almost same symptoms. Did you followup with your doctor. What did he tell you.

Regards,

Mac V.