Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Plueral Effusion And Back Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Plueral Effusion And Back Pain

I saw my FP in Setember for a physical and everything at that time was great.Sometime in Sept I Developed a pain in my L rib and the center of my back.I went back to my FP 4 times between Sept and Oct for sev test(labwork EKG Etc) He sent me to a Cardiologist which all came out fine.After Thanksgiving the pain got  worse so I went to the ER.There they found a pleural effusion thought to be caused by pneumonia bc I had no other symptoms of anything else.The 2 liters I had drained did not grow bacteria and all cultures were fine.My WBC was mod elevated,again consistant with pneumonia.I saw a Cardiologist in the hospital and all those test were fine.Since Dec Ive seen my pulmunary doctor 2-3 times a week for chest xrays.Ive even had it tapped again(this time only 100cc)The radiologist said he thinks there is just alot of scar tissue and that is whats causing the pain and inflammation.  Ive seen a thorasic surgeon who says that I do not need surgery at this time.  Ive had 4
CTs done of my chest and 1 of the abd.Ive also had a thorasic spine x-ray and too many chest x-rays to count.Istill have pain in my rib and back.Chest x-rays have improved some,not greatly.I still have night sweats occasionally and low grade fever.Still some SOB but not near what it was. Itake Ibuprofen throughout the day for pain.This has not stopped me from everyday activities,however has slowed me down.Since we are not completely sure of the cause of my problem,I was hoping someone else may have some advice.  I am in my late 20s and would like to back to my normal self again.Im greatful for any info.
1 Comment
My husband was also recently diagnosed with pleural effusions.  It took a CT scan to find them.  He had pneumonia for 3-4 weeks before the pleural effusion diagnosis.  He was admitted to the hospital last Monday and was seen by a lung specialist who stated he would need surgery to remove them from his lung.  The Pulmonary Surgeon expected the surgery to last about 1 hour.  My husband had the surgery on Friday and it took 4 hours.  The surgeon stated that it was much worse than expected.  He scraped them off for 4 hours and the infection was burrowing itself down into his lung tissue.  His cultures came back today and showed nothing.  The doctor stated it was a bacteria but could not pinpoint what exactly it was.  We have a couple different theorys on what could have caused it.  One, my  husband works next door to a port-a-potty place and well, we know bacteria is there.  The doctor said it's very likely he got it from there.  Two, my husband had a serious injury in June where a toilet shattered when being carried down steps and sliced through his wrist cutting all arteries, veins, tendons, muscle, etc.  It's possibly rust water and sewage got into his blood stream then.  Of course he was on antibiotics then but only for a week or two.  I'd really like to know exactly what caused this but I don't think we will ever know.

Oh and the surgeon stated that they didn't see any cases like this for a long time and now since January 1st my husband has been the 4th case.  All of the patients were young, healthy people under the age of 40!