Reoccurring severe nightly chills
My name is Edith Waters. I am 22 years old and 2 years ago I began to realize I have severe chills. The mystery is that it only happens after I have lain down and am trying to go to sleep. At the beginning, I thought it was just because it was winter in Texas, since I am from Florida, but that made no sense because I spent 2 winters in Philadelphia previous to moving to TX and I was just fine sleeping under 2 comforters max. I tried to ignore it and just pile up with comforters but nothing ever seemed to work. Presently, I once again live in FL and at night, I now prepare for sleep by turning the thermostat to 80 degrees, turning on my heated blanket to high, which I turn it on hours in advance to allow it to heat up, I sleep under 5 comforters and 2 thermal blankets, and wear leggings, knee high socks, sweat pants and a sweater. With all of this preparation it still takes me a while to warm up, if I can at all. Also, I can no longer sleep through an entire night. These sleeping problems have caused me to now suffer from occasional depression and I sometimes cry myself to sleep because I can not get warm. I usually spend an hour or so freezing, sometimes I will even be sweating but I’ll still feel cold. I do eventually fall asleep and hours later I will wake up sweating and hot.

I have not always had this problem. I used to be the type of person that would turn the air conditioner down to 74 and constantly keep my ceiling fan on while using one comforter max. In Philly I would have the air conditioner going even in the winter with snow on the ground. I would love to just ignore this problem until it goes away but it does not seem to be going away. It just keeps getting worse and I keep adding more comforters. I am at the end of my rope. I want to fix this problem any way possible.

I understand that this is an uncommon problem. I waited 6 months before I even brought it up to a doctor to see if it would just go away. The first doctor always tried to change the topic or avoid my questions. The second humored me for a while and prescribed me with Synthroid (0.05 mg). Without it I have an under-active thyroid (typical of the women in my family), with it I am just “normal.” However, when that failed to work, my doctor then said he's never heard of such a problem and that if I did indeed have the problem I thought I did that he did not see anything he could do for me. Basically, he thinks it’s all in my head. It might be useful to know that many women in my family are on thyroid medication at a level of 1.0 - 0.8 mg.

So, after yet another disappointing doctor, I turn to sending out this letter to you in hopes that you can either help me or point me in the right direction. Please carefully consider my situation. I thank you for your time and consideration in this matter and look forward to hearing back from you.

Are the symptoms of feeling cold and chills(shivering) accompanied by any fever?If yes,then it can be a bacterial or viral infection.

If there is no fever associated then it can be due to hypothyroidism,anxiety and panic atteacks,hypoglycemic attacks,hyperhydrosis(excessive sweating),anemia,infections,B complex deficiency and premenopause in women.Sometimes, patients who have recovered from a febrile illness continue to experience chills in the convalescence period.

It is advisable to first have the investigations for fever like ESR,complete blood count,blood culture,blood test for malarial parasite,widal test,x-ray chest or sonography to exclude any of the pathologies associated with fever.If negative,then other causes of shivering and feeling cold should be looked for.You can also try taking multivitam,ins esp Vit B complex for some days and see if the symptoms improve.If the symptoms persist,then pls discuss the above possibilities with your doctor.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.