needle like pain in upper left chest
I have severe pain in my upper left chest that feels like a needle is being poked around inside...this also causes
shortness of breath...and taking deep breaths is almost impossible....before it would only be a couple of seconds but lately its lasting into a few minutes...what can be the cause of this pain???
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Pain and discomfort in your chest could be acidity or heart burn. The other reason could be due to esophageal reflux (GERD), where the food in your stomach is thrown up into your food pipe or esophagus. This also causes burning or pricking sensation or discomfort in the chest area. Another possibility is hiatal hernia, where a portion of stomach herniates into the chest cavity through the diaphragm. This causes acidity like symptoms and burps too.
There is a strong possibility it is costochondritis (inflammation of the joint between rib and sternum. The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you.
It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!