Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
terrible itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

terrible itching

I have been itching for over 5 years now. My back is the worse place, but I can get it anywhere. Sometimes when I sit in my car in the morning I get the most unbelivable itching across the top of my buttocks as though the very act of sitting has triggered the skin to itch uncontrollably.  I have to stop the car to scratch it is so severe.  I have tried so many creams, lotions, antihistamines.  I have been seeing a dermatologist for several years and had full blood workups and chest X-Ray.  I was diagnosed with dermagraphism.  After any stimulus to my skin, I develop severe itching.  My face itches an hour or so after putting on make up.  if I comb my eyebrows with a brush they become unbearably itchy around an hour later.  Even clothing against my skin makes it itch.   I currently take oral doxepin at night which gives a bit of relief, but sometimes the itching is too severe for the doxepin to help much.  I went on HRT to try and alleviate it but to no effect.  I notice that if I wet my face, and let the moisture evaporate, the tingling feeling is unbearable.  It is almost like my nervous system is interpreting every sensation on my skin in a superheightened way.  I admit that at times, this has made me feel suicidal.  It never goes away, but there are times when it is much worse than others and I feel I can not bear it.  I can be in the deepest sleep and it will wake me up.  I have to wear cotton gloves at night or I tear my skin without realising it.  Sometimes I hve dragged the gloves off in my sleep as the itching has been so severe and i wake up with another crop of deep scratches on my back.  I have been unable to wear clothes that show my back for years now as I always have scratch marks, and there are scars there from older scratches.  Has anybody else had this degree of itching?  Has anybody found anything that can help?  Is there ever an end to it?  If I thought that this was never going to improve, I would be in total despair.  I have to work full time and I have lost count of the mornings that I have dragged myself out of bed after yet another night disturbed by itching feeling like death, and filled with absolute despair at the thought that I have to cope with another day when I am completely exhausted.  The dermatologist I see can not offer anything else that might help.  I have another appointment next week, and it will probably be my last as they can do nothing else for me.  How I can live anymore of my life like this I do not know.  Even just combing my hair causes my scalp to itch uncontrollably an hour or so later.  the air against my skin will make it itch. Can anybody help?
1 Comment
hi..I just came across you posting.  I have been suffering from extreme itching of the scalp...have been loosing lots of hair..yuck..nothing had helped and then my dermatologist perscribed nuerontin..if you haven tried it..it may be worth a shot..it helped me enough to make me feel like i wasnt goign to loose my mind