period after partial hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

period after partial hysterectomy

I am 32 years old and had a partial hysterectomy 6 1/2 weeks ago.  This was after having problems with my period over the years, being married for 11 years and deciding we didn't want any more children, and the number one issue...a growth on my ovary that continued growing over 3 months. After pain for 6 months off and on and a trip to the emergency room, with pain so severe it made me double over, it was found on a CAT scan that I had a good size cyst that they thought burst.  When I went to my OBGYN and had a vaginal sonogram they found not a cyst that had burst but one that doubled in size from the 2 weeks prior trip to the emergency room.  My doctors suggestion was a laproscoptic surgery to remove the cyst and I asked about a hysterectomy and he agreed to do as I wished.  I had my utereus removed along with the cystic ovary and the fallapian tube on that side.  Upon my wish the doctor left the other ovary and tube and cervix.  I was informed by him later that because the cyst ended up being an endometrioma caused by endometriosis starting that I might later have the same trouble on the other ovary.  When my surgery was done it was 2 weeks til my next period.  I bleed very little and had just a little bit of pain afterward.  However I did have somewhat of a period.  When I went back for my 4 wk checkup the doctor asked me a lot of questions, one was if I had a period and I told him yes.  He then informed me that some women do have periods after a hysterectomy.  AFTER HAVING A 2ND PERIOD SINCE SURGERY I AM WONDERING IF THIS IS NORMAL OR NOT?????  Everyone says it isn't.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
No, it is not normal to have a period after having a hysterectomy.  However, some women refer to any kind of vaginal bleeding as a period.  A "period" actually refers to the cyclic build up of the endometrial lining of the uterine cavity, that is shed approx 2 weeks after an egg is released and not fertilized.  By definition, you don't have a uterus, no endometrium, and hence shouldn't be having menstruation.

But you could be having some sort of bleeding (again NOT a period) from your cervix.  "Normal" implies that it happens to most women after hysterectomy, and certainly the majority of women do NOT bleed cyclically after hysterectomy.  So it deserves to be checked out.
yes, it is completely normal to have a period, if you still have your cervix. people who have their cervix removed during a hysterectomy will NOT have a period. i am suprised your dr did not inform you of this. i had a hysterectomy, with only 1 ovary remaining, and my dr told me i will still ovulate, i just wont have a period because my uterus AND cervix were removed.
According to the New England Journal of Medicine:

"Complications of Subtotal Hysterectomy: Menstrual-like vaginal bleeding. After subtotal hysterectomy, about 7% of women have bothersome cyclic bleeding. This happens when uterus-like cells remain on the outside of the cervix after the uterus is removed."

(A subtotal hysterectomy is when the body of the uterus but not the cervix, is removed).

So it is NOT completely normal to have bleeding after a hysterectomy in which the cervix has been left.  Normal would imply that most women have this.  They do not.  There are procedures that can help.
i was just going by what my dr told me and also information on hystersisters.com, i believe they call them "mini" peroids. again, i was just going by what I was told, no need to jump down my throat!!!
Thanks to you both and any info given.  I have been told by a lot of women this hasn't happened to them, all having the same procedure.  I call what is happening a period because it is when I would be having mine.  What has been happening for the last several years is that I will spot lightly for about a week, then my breast will get sore for 2 days and I will bleed good for about 3 to 4 days, spot alittle then in two weeks start the process again. With both "periods or bleeding" it has happened the same minus the real good red bleeding. I have passed clots, light pink, and the dark that I have always done before. Also my breast have been sore before this.  I guess I was hoping all the bother of two weeks in a months time would be gone.  I had not heard of any one having problems.  I also read on the info sheet given from my doctor that a light pink or discharge could be expected for up to 6 weeks after surgery.
I am thinking when I read this very light, maybe I would need a  pantyliner.  What I have had has been just like a period, minus the real good red blood.  If I had the uterus taken out where is this coming from?  Why is it accumulating and passing when I would have my period....Maybe I am in a hurry and it will just take more time to stop all together...if not I am going to MAD!!!!  Could I still  get pregnant???  I asked my doctor this question and he told me not to worry about something like that....Well guess what, if I am still ovulating with my other ovary and there is blood coming form somewhere every month WHY NOT???  I have read a few on this website that has had a hysterectomy and still got pregnant.      Please if any one has had this happen also to them, give me some advise...HOPE... that I will not still have somewhat of a period every month for the rest of my life!!!
Ladies, when your uterus is removed, you cannot bleed from a menstral cycle.  There is no such thing as a partial hysterectomy.  A hysterectomy is when your uterus is removed.  Whether your cervix remains, ovaries or fallopian tubes, no menstral cycle will occur.  Many woman have hysterectomies and were still menstrating leave their ovaries in to avoid menopause and hot flashes.    This makes having a hysterectomy easier especially since uterus' may be removed through your belly buttom or vaginally.  No long incision is required.

If you still have your ovaries and fallopian tube, but no uterus...you cannot get pregnant.  You will still ovulate, you might have sore breasts, achey (achy) side, white mucus.

If you are still bleeding it is from the surgery, stitches etc.  Speak to you doctor.

And again, once your uterus is removed, you cannot get a period.
Remember, your menstral cycle occurs when the lining of your uterus sheds.....nothing to do with your cervix, uterus, etc.

I specifically asked my doctor these questions and more just to become knowledgeable.

Good bye Tampons!  Good by Napkin!  Freedom finally!
Thanks for your comment.  I will just keep an eye on it.  That is what I keep finding in any info on hysterectomies.  What my doctor told me about some women still having a period every month has to be wrong and if I continue to have every month, I will look for me another doctor to get his/her opinion.  Thanks so much.
there is such thing as partial hysterectomy, do your homework
I had a "supracervical" laparascopic hysterectomy in November.  Basically, a laparascopic "partial"  hysterectomy. I went back 6 weeks later for my check up with light bleeding.  After examining me, my doctor stated that I was a "Medical Phenomenon".  He said that a portion of the endometrial lining was left and that I was actually having a period.  I was devastated, to say the least, and now await another 6 weeks before he confirms this suspicion.  

I was forwarned of sore breasts and moodiness, because he left my cervix and ovaries.  However, nothing was mentioned of periods. And now... I have a staph infection and am taking antibiotics.

Gotta love being a "girl".  :)

God Bless!
I had a LAP in August 2005 (kept my overies and cervix) that had to be converted to an open procedure.  I have experienced bleeding (like a period) monthly since the procedure.  At first, I was confused, because my situation was complicated with numerous surgical mistakes. I had a massive case of ascites for 5 weeks post op as the result of a severed ureter.  It has taken 4 months to repair the ureter and I still have some kidney damage.  My new GYN says that part of the uterus tissue was left behind, causing the bleeding.  I am experiencing major hot flashes (probably due to my overies shutting down during the trama of this 4 month ordeal).  I had to undergo a nephroscaphy tube and stents to repair my ureter. My Dr. has placed me on both estrogen as well as provetrium which he says should help with both the flashes and the bleeding.  Am interested in hearing from anyone else with similar situation.  What else can be done to stop this bleeding!
A hysterectomy is an operation to remove a woman's uterus (womb). The uterus is where a baby grows when a woman is pregnant. Sometimes the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and cervix are removed at the same time the uterus is removed. These organs are located in a woman's lower abdomen (see image below). The cervix is the lower end of the uterus. The ovaries are organs that produce eggs and hormones. The fallopian tubes carry eggs from the ovaries to the uterus.

You know what I have just had a third period since my surgery.  I too was never told of the chance that I could still have periods after having a partial hysterectomy.  If I knew that there was a chance I could still have them, why would I have had it done?  The whole idea was not to have a period ever again.  All my doctors office can say is that it is just taking time for my body to adjust and that I will eventually stop having anything at all.  This time was more like a period than the other two.  My husband didn't know I had started spotting and we had sex.  Afterward when he cleaned up he had very RED blood like before my surgery.  It wasn't the dark left over stuff that my last two consisted of.  He was shocked to say the least.  I can recall my doctor saying to me, after my surgery when I was still in the hospital, that I was well on my way to being period free, NOT... he didn't know what he was talking about.  If I am the only case he has had to experience this I my need to find me a new OBGYN because either he didn't do my surgery right or he isn't listening to his patients.  To the lady who had some of the lining left attached to your cervix, how did they find this out?  Maybe I need to mention it to my doctor when I go back in for my 6 month checkup.
Out of curosity, if you are going to have a hysterectomy, what are the reasons to keep your cervix?, especially if the upper part of the uterus will remainif you keep your cervix(I think)?  Or what would the need for the cervix be for a woman who has her uterus removed?

I know that the reason to keep your ovaries would be to avoid immediate menopause provided there is nothing wrong with your ovaries?

If I may suggest to the above poster, are you able to call your doctor and speak to him over the phone regarding your periods after a hysterectomy?  

Has anyone had a partial hysterectomy (I am not sure of what a partial hysterectomy is) and your doctor told you that you may still menstrate?
At my 6 week post partial hysterectomy check up, my doctor said the bleeding I was experiencing was from endometrial lining left inside.  This was diagnosed by a regular exam as if a pap test was being done.  He said there was a small opening and that remaining lining was the reason for the periods.  He said he had mentioned prior to surgery that this was a risk ... however, I only remember the many times he mentioned "death" and possible damage to near by organs, bladder & colon.  I do not remember him ever telling me a chance that there would be a period of any kind. Infact, like many of you, I was ecstatic about being period free and now heart broken to still have issues.  I go back on Feb. 1, 2006 to see if his diagnosis still holds.  I'll let you know.

Regarding partial hysterectomy, that is only uterus removed.  Total hysterectomy is uterus & cervix which they don't like to remove because of prolapse (falling organs)and radical hysterectomy is everything removed.  (If you have a "total" with ovaries it's another name... ooph something.)

My question: anyone else have mood swings or has anyone had hormones tested even though you still have ovaries left?  This same doctor states if I have ovaries, my hormones should be fine.
I had a partial hyst. on 12/14/05 and yeasterday on 1/20/06 I was spotting very light red blood. It was type sticky not runnning like a period. Haven't spoke to the doctor yet, will do that first thing in the morning. But what is with all this leaving things on the cervix and all. I feel this malpractice and if my gyn knows what good she better have not left anything behind. I chose this procedure due to fibroids, bleeding and extreme pain during sex. I'm 34 and full of sex drive with my husband and the pain was horrible. So thinking of know more period and pain, now thats life. But if i'm still going to bleed then what was the use of the operstion. I even feel cramping. So I will let you know what her response is to me tomorrow, because this was not a side effect that was told. I'm also on antibiotics from a stahp infection and bladder infection. Boy I was I could turn time back. But I pray it gets better becasue again I say MALPRACTICE!!!!!
I haven't had any cramping with my periods, I can tell a reasonable amount of difference in my mood swings since my surgery also.  That has been better.  I have been on the computer looking at info on the cervix.  It jogged something my doctor said when I was there for my 4 week check up after surgery.  My friends and I had been talking at work and was wondering about something i had seen on tv.  A lady was on a talk show and had said she had been pregnant with what she thought were twins.  She was having trouble with her pregnancy and they found another heart beat.  She had a baby that was not in the utereus but the placenta had attached itself outside the sac onto her bladder.  I asked my doctor if there was any way with me having my right ovary and still ovulating that I could get pregnant, with no utereus but still having a period.  He told me that eventually my cervix would scar over at the end where he removed the utereus.  Therefor not allowing any sperm to get to the egg that was released every month.  I am wondering why he left my cervix.  If it was to keep from opening me up by incision  i think I could handle a scar better than having a period every month.  That was the whole reason of having the hysterectomy.  I could have just had the the oversized ovary removed if I would had known what I know now.  Why guess at this kind of stuff, why tell me from the office that it would eventually stop if theres a chance this will go on for ever.  Yes I also say MALPRACTICE!!!  Would my insurance pay for him to go back in and remove the cervix to fix my problem because I am not a satisfied customer and why should I have to pay.  He better hope that this stops eventually because there will be trouble if it hadn't stopped by the June when i have my 6 month check up.  He will either fix his screw up or he will lose a customer of the last 9 years. Luckily my husband had a himself fixed right before i started having trouble so at least the chance for me to get pregnant is a lot smaller. You know something could go wrong and his grow back together, you never know now a days....the doctors know about what the patients know.  I guess I am down on them right now!!!
Nurse... you and I have something in common as we both had hysterectomies on 12/14/05.  I had an emergency hysterectomy due to hemmoraging.  However, for some reason, I asked that my uterus and cervix be removed.  My doctor never said to leave my cervix in but suggested I keep my ovaries if they were in good shape so that I would not go through immediate menopause. I thought of uterine cancer and cervical cancer, so I figured it was best to remove them. I never was told about dropping organs if you remove your cervix.  I was told by my doctor that in many cases when a woman goes through menopause, synthetic hormones are given which studies have found to cause heart problems, cancer too, etc. So, I was in no rush to remove my ovaries which I am glad I didn't because it was kind of shakey (shaky) the first 2 weeks post surgery..nerves and such..without hormones, it might have been worse.

I even had breast cancer three years ago, estrogren related so I was on tomaxafin for 1 year and couldn't stand the side affects and went off it which caused me to think numerous times about getting rid of my ovaries.  Anyway, I was able to keep my ovaries because there was nothing wrong with them (no scarring or cysts).  In fact, I was ovulating during my surgery.  Nowadays, you don't have to make an incision but rather remove the uterus, cervix and ovaries through the belly button or delivery them vaginal.  When these organs are removed through the belly button, a biopsy is impossible because the organs have been chopped (well not the best word) up into small pieces for removal.  With a vaginal delivery, a biopsy can be proformed because these cervix, uterus and even ovaries can be removed pretty much intack..

I asked the same question, "what happens to my eggs that my ovaries release each month" and I was told they will be released and disinegrate.  I also, told my doctor of a television program where a woman was pregnant with twins in her uterus and another fetus was found attached to her abdomin (abdomen) and she delivered 3 heathly children.  He laughed and said, I will not get pregnant nor will I ever have a period again...and so on....

You are not the 1st person to post about a period after having one's uterus removed.  It seems that when you leave the cervix in, part of the upper uterus remains.  And my doctor never explained this to me either and I thought that I asked every option at the time.

You also can seek another opinion if you are not satisfied with what your doctor says about your continual bleeding.  In my case, I stained for no more than 10-14 days.  No period came on or around Jan 2nd (28 days since my last period), so I assumed I was home free.

I don't blame you for being concerned or possible annoyed (if I am reading you right) about having bleeding.  And you shouldn't blame yourself because you have so much information thrown at you, that it is impossible to cover everything even if you think you do.

Anyway, I am curious to hear why some women bleed after a partial hysterectomy where the cervix remains.  Remember, you don't have to wait for an appointment, you can call your doctor up and ask him/her over the phone.  Good Luck and let us know.
Thanks to you all for sharing your stories. I had a hystertomy Oct. 28th 2005. My cervix was left because over time it, in some manner, has become attached to my bladder and to attempt to detach it would be to risk rupturing my bladder.  I also have one ovary remaining.

Anyway, I too have cyclical bleeding. It is dark/rusty and is just more bothersome than anything. Certainly nothing like what is mentioned in some of the posts.  I have been waiting to see if it was just some left over old blood from the surgery and figured by the end of November early December it was done. But with regular 'periods' now in December and January I knew I needed to see if there were other women who had also experienced this after a hystertomy.

While I recognize a trip back to the Dr. is needed to discuss this, it is oddly 'comforting' to know I'm not along in this experience.
I had an emergency hysterectomy after the birth of my son in Nov 04(uterine atony, DIC.).the OBGYN warned me i may have a little spotting monthly but it wasn't likely. Imagine my shock when about six weeks after I started bleeding quite heavily. After seeing my doctor he sent me to see the OBGYN who delivered my son and preformed the Hyst. I was told that they left my cervix and a small part of my uterus ( which she referred to as a cervical stump). Apparently some of the uterine lining/tissue "slipped" into this area when the were stitching me up.Since then it has caused me to have monthly bleeding(I refer to it as my monthly reminder). She sent me for an ultrasound to see how much tissue was there and told me I would have to undergo another hysterectomy if I wanted the "periods "to stop. My son is almost 15 months now and I have really bad cramps,headaches and bloating just before my "period". I find this odd as before my pregnancy and hysterectomy I had only mild P.M.S. occasionally. I am considering the surgery because I find it too emotionally painful every month ( my body acting like I could get pregnant but It really can't) If I do decide go ahead with the surgery It won't be for awhile. At least not until my son is a little older and can do a little more on his own. My OBGYN said this happens often( piece of uterine tissue left) because alot of doctors want to leave the cervix when possible and they feel it's better to leave to much than too little . I don't know if I necessarily agree with it but it is how she felt in my case.
I find this amazing!  I think  just about everyone thinks once you have a hysterectomy, no more bleeding.

I am beginning to think that if you leave your cervix in, you will possibly have periods. Therefore, why chance it and leave the cerix in unless there is a specific issue like the woman whose cervix attached to her abdomen (I hope you got a second opinion on that).  As a stated before, my ob/gyn never mentioned this to me.

I feel for you ladies and I hope more women become aware of this problem because it seems to be a big secret.

I cancelled my doctors appointment this past week because I had too much going on with my kids (this is another problem that women don't put themselves first) and I didn't get a chance to ask my doctor about the "period after hysterectomy" mystery.
Did anyone here have their hysterectomy as a result of post partum hemmorage? If anyone has you should check out Yahoo's Post Partum Survivors Group. I managed to get alot of questions answered there. I know it can be heartbreaking to discover your still getting pseudo "periods". When I posted about my monthly bleeding I had some pretty passionate responses. Everything like How some women look at it as a chance to feel like a "normal" woman, for some( myself included) they are saddened by the reminder of there choices being taken away, and some think of it as a reminder that everything is alright with their body. I personally  still find it upsetting everytime it happens, even 14 months after the fact. I am interested to find out how the medication is working from the womon who posted about it. Are there any side effects ect.. My OBGYN said that for some women the can go intravaginally and cauterise the remaining tissue, but for some reason  it isn't and option for me. My family doctor advised me against having my cervix removed. He said it often results in poor bladder control( which I have presently anyhow) and that many women end up needing bladder surgey in the future to correct it. My OBGYN said there is a risk ,but if I want the bleeding to cease it is the only course of action. I am 29, I want the periods to stop but I also don't want to undergo major surgery to have to undergo major surgery a year or two later. What a dilema. I hate having bladder control issues. Doing the kegel exercises have helped but only a very little bit. Does anyone else have bladder control issues?
What have you done about it? My good wishes go out to all those still recovering from there hysterectomys. For all of us who still get those lovely "periods" well at least we are not alone.
I find comfort in that.
For anyone anxiously awaiting my appointment, I had a Laparascopic Supracervical Hysterectomy 11/7/05.  At my 6 week check-up I had bleeding and thought I had over done it by lifting or something only to find out there wasn't any tearing, but an "opening".  The doctor stated several times now that he had informed me this could be a complication.  Nothing was said however that it could be an error on his part.  (Why would he)  

Anyway, long story short, a piece of my uterus was left behind.  The endometrial lining will remain there and I will continue having periods because my cervix was not removed.  No uterus, no fallopian tubes, I have both ovaries and a cervix and now some uterus still remains.  The doctor said because I am 38, I should have about 12 good years of ovary usage.  He did not want to remove them because if you take the ovaries out, he said not only would it throw me into instant menopause, but my overall "well being" would diminish. So, my only options with this doctor is to see another or get a monthly shot to eliminate my periods.  (Note: My husband works at GM and several women with ovaries without anything else inside ended up having them removed within 5 years)

On a humorous note... or not... I asked him what my chances were of getting pregnant. (God forbid) He stated that it was very rare, 1% chance, if that. And then ... on a very rare and unique note ... almost like TWILIGHT ZONE, I remembered my emergency appendectomy Dec. 2004, which herniated and the doctor who repaired me, May of 2005, said this mesh was a guarantee not to herniate ... very rare ... with only a 1 to 3% chance of reoccurence ... "bizarre note:" I have reherniated in that area... hopefully becoming pregnant is not in my future, as well.  I originally had a tubal ligation to solve that...

Any opinions, girls?  Should I get a second opinion?
My doctor told me they could cauterise the lining so it wouldn't shed anymore. I would get a second opinion. I am also from Canada so things may be different here.
Good luck!
On March 7th I am scheduled  to have a partial hysterectomy removing my uterus.  My doctor told me that I would not have anymore periods and that I would not be able to get pregnant.  What is messed up in my case is that I am having this surgery because of another doctor's mess up when I had my son two years ago through C-section.  After I had my son we were still in the delivery room for an hour becasue he ever time he tried to close me up I my uterus would contract and he would loose his grip and I would open back up again. After numerous attempts he finally was able to close me up but he rushed this procedure.  While I healed my uterus & fallopian tubes bind together and became attached to the lining of my stomach. I didn't start having pain until the beginning of last year and once all the test was done on me and I was told what was the problem, the status of limitations had run out and I couldn't sue the doctor who performed my surgery.  After hearing all of these stories, it have me a little worried about the decision I have made because this is an organ that will be removed plus my doctor told me that it may not eleviate the pain.  I just would like some words of encouragement.  I am also going to go for a second opinion because if this surgery can be avoided than by all means I would like to know what is the alternative method.
I would like to say Hi to everyone!!
I found this site because my sister had a partial hysterectomy last year and I had only found out about it today.  From what I heard about her procedure was that they burned (cauterized) I guess, as part of the procedure (please excuse me as I have no info like the rest of you do).  And she has NO periods just some bloating once a month.  Also, the doctor that she sees is also my doctor before I moved out of the area.  I would  suggest getting a second opinion.  I hope this helps someone.

Well i have had a super cervical hysterectomy.  It's a partial.  And I also have been told that my endometrial glands have come back.  My doctor told me that it is rare.  I have my cervix, and tubes and overies still.  I spot and it is fresh blood.  I have been told that it is not normal.  And my doctor said i will ovulate i just can't conceve.  I am 36 and my surgery was a year and a half ago.  It happens a few times a month and sometimes after sex with my husband.  The Dr. has told me that it does happen but it is not a normal thing. The endometrial glands can be taken out.  I didn't however experiance this after surgery but 8 mos. Later.  I hope this helps.
I AM ONLY 28 YRS OLD WITH 3 KIDS AND I HAD A PARTIAL HYSTERECTOMY ABOUT 3YRS AGO. I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST IF IT IS NOT ABSOUTELY NECESSARY TO HAVE THIS SURGEY I CERTAINLY WOUDLD NOT HAVE IT DONE. I DO NOT HAVE PERIODS ANYMORE WHICH IS JUST GREAT BUT I CANNOT HAVE ANY MORE CHILDREN. I REGRET THE DECESION I MADE BUT I WAS ALSO THINKING OF MY 3 SMALL CHILDREN AT THE TIME. I HAD CANCER CELLS ON MY UTERUS BUT THEY WERE NOT IN A CANCEROUS STAGE, BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO RISK THE CHANCE OF THEM BECOMING CANCEROUS. BUT I RECENTLY GOT REMARRIED AND WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A BABY FOR MY HUSBAND BUT I CANNOT. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS A WRONG CHOICE BUT IF I KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN ANTOHER OPINION. SO I JUST SAY TO REALLY THINK ABOUT  THIS BEFORE MAKING A DEFINITE DECESION. THANKS!
I NOTICED HAVING SOME LIGHT BLOOD TONIGHT AND IT HAS BEEN ALMOST THREE MONTHS SINCE I HAD MY HYSTERECTOMY.WHEN I WENT BACK FOR MY SIX WEEKS CHECK UP THE DOCTOR SAID SOMETHING AFTER HE EXAMINED ME AND IT HAS BOTHERED ME.HE SAID IF YOU SHOULD START BLEEDING IN ABOUT SIX WEEKS DON'T BE ALARMED JUST CALL MY OFFICE AND TELL THEM THAT YOU HAVE HAD A HYSTERECTOMY AND YOU ARE BLEEDING.HE ACTED LIKE IT WAS NOT UNUSUAL FOR THIS TO HAPPEN.HE SAID WE CAN TAKE CARE OF IT IN THE OFFICE AND HE EXPLAINED IT TO ME BUT I NEVER REALLY THOUGHT I WOULD DO THAT.WE'LL TONIGHT IT HAPPENED.I ALWAYS GO TO THE INTERNET TO FIND ANSWERS AND CAME ACROSS THIS DISCUSSION.HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN TOLD THIS BY THEIR DOCTOR.I HAD EVERYTHING TAKEN OUT.I HAVE ALSO HAD A BACTERIAL VAGINITUS(EXCUSE THE SPELING I MIGHT NOT BE CALLING IT RIGHT)I HAVE NOT HAD AS MUCH AS A YEAST INFECTION IN 30 YEARS AND NOW I CANNOT GET RID OF THIS.I HAVE TAKEN THREE MEDS, FOR YEAST AND THREE FOR BACTERIA AND STILL HAVE THIS.HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM.THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST PART OF THE HYSTERECTOMY FOR ME.
Hello Everyone... Had a sub-total hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. They left my ovaries and 1/3 of my cervix. had my "last" Period on 8 june 2006 (4 days before my op  12th June 2006). So my next bleed would have been due on the 6th of July. Had no problems with the op itself, but low and behold, about 4th of July , I started having whatI can only describe as period pains and started to bleed on the 6th of July for 4 days straight. Went to my GP and was told that i was a medical mystery. Was made to feel very stupid for suggesting that I thought i was having a period..."You cant  ... you have had a hysterectomy"  I know that , but where on earth is the blood coming from??? Please can you tell me that I am not alone on this and why does it happen? I am only 28 years old and had to have it done for heavy bleeding, and severe scar tissue due to 2 c sections.  Oh yeah  the other thing was when I came around from my operation the surgeon asked me "when did you have your left ovary romoved?"  I told him that I never had my ovary removed and he says  " oh ok  I just couldnt see it in there thats all"  HELP  Feels like I am going mad>>>>>>>>>>>>
I'm so glad I found this site as I felt like the biggest freak in the world. I also had a Subtotal Hysterectomy,(uterus removed, ovaries and cervix remain) in June 2005. Three weeks post op I had vaginal bleeding and called the doc's office. The nurse told me that I had done too much, too soon and pulled a stitch. I bought it. Four weeks after that the vaginal bleeding returned. I again called the doc's office, again I was told I pulled a stitch. I reminded the nurse that I was 7 weeks post op and that was late to have pulled a stitch. I told her that I was having a period. She assured me that is impossible and attempted to give me a basic anatomy lesson. I told her that I too am an RN and was familiar with reproductive anatomy. And that some endometrial tissue must be shedding in my abdomen. She told me to come in "now". The doctor examined me and confirmed my diagnosis. However he denies that I had Endometriosis and states that it is just some endometrial tissue in my cervix that is shedding. This possible complication was never once mentioned to me before surgery. I feel betrayed. My doctor also told me that this could potentially last until menopause. Every four weeks I still have a "period" or cyclical bleeding. I did develop an infection one month with a fever of 102.7. A CT scan at that time showed a large soft tissue mass most likely a blood clot or an abscess. A repeat CT scan 2 weeks later showed that it had completely resolved. So now I am seeking a new OB/GYN and am considering legal action. I feel that at the time of surgery, endometrial tissue should have been searched for and removed to prevent this. At the very least I should have been informed that this was a potential complication. Anyone else feeling this way?
I feel the same way because i was promised that i would never have a "period" again. I feel cheated . Just feel as though I have gone through all that for nothing. Also had an thermal balloon ablation done in November 2005  was told this was the Non-surgical alternative to a hysterectomy, it failed!!! and when I asked why it had failed he said it was because he "probably didnt have the water hot enough"  which is why we went down the route of a hysterectomy. "no more bleeding guaranteed" . Its just weird that on the very day i would have been due my period I bleed . I also got the anatomy lesson from my doctor when I went to see him about this bleeding. Also does anyone still get period pains when they are bleeding???? I am so angry about the way they never tell you about things like this before the op, your only told about possible haemmoraging, infection, etc.  Never once did he say that you still will get a bleed every 4 weeks.
I had a supra cervical hysterectomy Feb 8, 2006, and have light bleeding after sex (and it is NOT wild, hanging from the ceiling sex, either!) and a little in between.  I, too have been having all the cramping, irritability, etc, and ALSO was not EVER told this could happen.  I am a RN, and work ER, but when I go in for a check, the doctor treats me as if I'm  crazy for complaining about these symptoms. I hate to imagine how a non medical person must feel.  I told him I can easily live with the symptoms, as long as the bleeding doesn't get heavy again as it was before the hysterectomy. (my blood count got quite low.)  He used the silver nitrate yesterday-- today is RED blood- light, though, and "feels like everything could drop out the bottom!"  For anyone wanting a site to look at to possibly PREVENT hysterectomy, look up hysterectomy education services"--   they were alot of help to me, but I have to acdmit, I got discouraged and gave in to a hysterectomy after bleeding very heavy from July 2005 until Feb 2006 when I had the hysterectomy.  I had a d&c in Oct 2005, ablation Nov 2005, d&c in Jan 2006 first.  I was just so tired of trying to find a physician who would try another myomectomy (only removing the fibroid tumor) I had one in Feb 2002 and it went great-- back to work in a week.  My doc then said he might have to do another if they grew back, but then when the time came(July 2005), he would only do a hysterectomy.  I was dissapointed and by then was feeling so exhausted, I gave in.  Keeping the cervix is supposed to help with bladder, sex ( you still make your own lubrication and the nerves).  I did recup alot sooner than a friend of mine who is also a nurse and had her cervix removed.  BUT, now I have the bleeding.....   Good luck to everyone-- it feels like we women (even the ones in medicine) are never listened to by physicians!
ANYONE FEELING REALLY DEPRESSED??????

Am now 5-6 weeks after my hysterectomy and I feel as **** as before i had it done. I still have my ovaries so i dont think it is hormone related. Keep going from one extreme to the other  Really angry at everything and then crying my eyes out over silly things.  Just feeling very low and was just wondering if anyone else felt this way 5 weeks after their op. Please let me know   thanks  xxxx
I had a partial hysterectomy on 1/13/05..because i was experiencing bleeding that lasted 2-3 weeks at a time..not that it was heavy all the time or that i hurt constantly..but my  emotions and moods were one big roller coaster... i couldnt take birth control pills to control it because i have Raynaulds Syndrome.. and auto-immune disease which is increased if  you take hormones such as estrogen. I had a thermal ablation surgery done a few months prior to my hyst but it only made things worse. My uterus lining grew back in "pockets" instead of healing correctly. A hysterectomy was the only way to go.Well all was well, no periods no pain, until about a month and a half ago, which sent me to the ER, a cat scan revealed that i had a 5.2 centimenter cyst on my left ovary,,, i had NO idea thats what i would find out,, it felt like a kidney infection.. i say my gyn and he said that it has shrunk but that there was another one about 1.3 centimeters and i may have to deal with them coming and going...UGH... my only  options were to  take loritabs when needed..which i cannot do because i babysit out of my home regularly and have 2 children of my own... or to remove my ovaries...well guess what? Surgery is Aug 1, 2006.I was concerned that i would have to have my stomach cut open again..because i had c-sections with both of my children ..belly button down cuts..and they had to remove my urerus the same way..but i was assured that he could do the procedure by laproscopic surgery! YAY! now maybe i will get rid of all of my swelling and moodiness once and for all!
I do not know if it is normal to have a cycle after you have a hysterectomy or not but I know that I had a partial hysterectomy 2 months ago and the only thing they removed was my uterus. They left my ovaries and my cervix and I only had little bleeding for about a month afterwards that was barely more than spotting.

You should definately talk to someone about that.

Ok I had a partial 8 yrs ago due to dammage done to my uterus when I had problems delivering my duaghter they had to induce me for a week. It is true and it was a haoorible experiance for me and my Husband, but after my daughter was finaly born I bled non stop. I was told that my uterus had been to badly dammages during her birth and after non stop period like bleeding for 8 mos the OBGYN informed me that my only option was a hysterectomy. I was devistated but went through it, {I still am greaving and want a baby}. When I went in for my post opperation check up 2 weeks later he told me I had a bad case of fibroids and endometriosis, he also removed my cervics. Every month I still have a period it is more like a bloody mucus. I have been through every test available and still have the discharge. When I went to the hospital 3 mos or so ago for a unrelated problem I was asked if I could be pregnant and told her sadly no, when I told her she stated thet women COULD infact get pregnant IF there is endometrium on other organs {which is very likely with the disease}and that there are 50 cases a yr in north america of pregnancys and if caught early enogh the results can be good for mother and baby. So here is to hoping. I think it is still hugely unlikely but possible .. Nature wont be denied!  thats my 2 cents
Hello Everyone......  Had my hysterectomy on 12 June 2006.  my last period before my operation was 8thJune 2006 .On the 6th July  I started to bleed for 4 days with period pains the lot...went to my doctor and was told she couldn't explain it to me, made to feel very silly for mentioning period and hysterectomy in the same sentence...well 28 days from my last bleed on Thursday the 3rd August 2006 i had another bleed again with period cramps and am still passing dark blood today (7th August) again I went back to my doctor and was told that he couldn't explain it either and said oh well don't worry about it.. I went bonkers at him and told him that I was worried about it and I had a hysterectomy so I wouldn't bleed anymore.  Asked him to examine me, He tried, but was unable to do so properly because of the amount of bleeding. He then referred me back to the hospital so now I am waiting to hear from them with an appointment so I can speak to my consultant.  Feeling so angry because if I had of known I would still bleed after the operation, then I would not have had it done. Am now 7 weeks post op and I just feel it has all been for nothing. I am still having to buy sanitary towels and it is just so frustrating... will keep you posted on how I get on with the doctor..
I had a partial hysterectomy 1/25/05.  It was the best thing I have done. I used to get my period for 15 days. I would bleed heavily and have clots the size of my palm. I had a D&C first which seemed to give me a normal period for only 8 mo. Then it was right back to 15 day periods.  
When talking with my Dr about my options, I choose to keep my cervix (I was told it may effect the libido-dont want to loose that).  
He explained to me that when you keep the cervix there is a very small part of the uterus still attached to it. This small part still has a lining that may or may not shed. It would be nowhere near what I was experiencing. He also said, since I will still have my ovaries I may still PMS. As he put it "they are still talking...but to nothing"  So my ovaries still do their hormonal thing(sore swollen breasts, mood swings,food cravings), and an egg still gets released.  My Dr. said that the bodie's acids burn up the egg.
Anyway, it has been 1 1/2 yrs. and I have had what i will call a period 2 times. Each time it was very red, and a considerable amount of blood that lasted 1 day and brown staining for 2. I didn't need any sanitary products because it was just there when i wiped. Other than that there have been a few times that I noticed a little pinkess.  My husband and I are totally fine with this.  It sure is better than bleeding for 15 days.

I read a lot of the above comments and it is sad how missinformed a lot of Drs leave their patients.  We go to Dr's for our health and put our total trust into them only to be misled and/or misinformed. I am sorry girls, I hope i helped clear up any questions.

Now if I can only get rid of this sagging pouch of a belly I am left with.  I go to the gym 4 times a week...my butt is getting smaller...and so are my breasts...but this belly, this swelly belly is still here.
Thank goodness. I had found this site before, lost it and now it's back. I had my supracervical hysterectomy April2006. The only thing removed was my uterus. This following a DC and a balloon ablation:both failed. My bleeding and pain were out of control so I opted for the final solution. My doctor and I agreed that I wanted to save my cervix (1) because there was nothing wrong with it (2) I am a young, married women who wishes to remain sexually active (3) I did not want to experience any shifting in body parts ie bladder. Well, I do not recall the part about may still bleed. I do recall this will all be over and no period. It is now 4 months and I have had very regular, like clock work bleeding every month since my surgery. It is 3-4 days and not as heavy as before or as painful but you can imagine what a bummer! I have spoken to my doctor who also explained that out of the 45 surgeries in my area this year only 2 have "failed". ( I am #2) He explained that because it is very hard to see the entire area during laparscopic surgery it can happen. Rare but possible. Not a problem HE said. I am scheduled in two days for cryo therapy (freezing the extra tissue). He said this is the least invasive and little time, little pain. If it works ...great. If not I can have the area cauterized (SP?) or a vaginal hysterectomy to remove my cervix. The last two are surgery in the hospital ....again. I did not remove my cervix on purpose not so that I could do this again. Odd things happen to me I wish this was not one of them! I will let you know how the procedure goes on Thursday. Right now I am prepared to put on my big girl panties and deal with it!
hi i also had a sub-total hysterectomy after heamoraging after a c section on 24 11 06 and now seven months on have started to bleed. my stomach above my scar is still really painful aswell. i feel like i havnt healed properly on the inside and have bladder control problems as well. i am just making an appointment with my consultant to be checked out , but would like to know how long it is before the pain goes. my seven month old baby keeps standing up on my lap and really hurting my stomach as he tries to climb me.
I have a silly question.  i had a hysterectomy about a year ago.  i had cervical and uterian cancer.  I still have my ovaries.  Can they be harvested and used later in a serogate mother?  
i had a sub total hysterectomy seven months ago last week i bled for four days and now today i have started to bleed again i have just realised there ia a link last week i bleed two days after doing exercise and today i am bleeding a day after doind exercise again. has any one else experienced this even though the operation was seven months ago.
I'm scheduled for a partial hysterectomty later this year.  Severe adenomyosis and I must say your experiences have me quite un-nerved.  Looking on the "bright" side of things I said - well I'm sure I won't have anymore periods - but if there's the chance of periods I'm beginning to wonder and might as well keep the periods I'm having now (provided they don't get much worse)  Now they last for about 8-10 days and are usually very heavy with lots of clotting.  Dr. says they will get progresively worse. Thanks for all the real-life experiences here.  It's really given my something to think about.
Is there anyone else out there besides extreme_chaos that has experienced anything good?  I'm 40 yrs old and I am scheduled to have everything removed but my ovaries on July 30th and now reading all of this is freaking me out.   I wasn't told about organs dropping if u have your cervix removed and since reading this, I'm now concerned about having my cervix left in.  I have a VERY VERY heavy flow for 7 days.....(changing a super plus AND overnight every hour)  so I need this surgery but am terrified of losing my sex drive, pleasure, orgasms and now the above stuff. ANY SUGGESTIONS...........and the sooner the better   lol
I am fixin to have the same type!!Do you still regret it only for the fact of no more children???My reason is cronic (chronic) pain and my utrures has a mass on the inside also     the shaped is very abnormal!!!!My peroids r AWFULL..please reply ASAP
I had a partial hysterectomy just over 3 weeks ago (left ovaries and part of the cervix). I too had a period right at the time I usually do. I thought I was hemmoraging and was so scared. My doctor immediately knew what it was. She has been doing these surgeries for 20 years. She said this is a side effect 15% of the time. I was a little disappointed as I was looking forward to having no more periods. I was not warned about this anywhere so it was quite a surprise. I took it VERY easy for the first three weeks and I am happy to say that today I have no pain. Just a little stiffness and slight numbness just below the belly button. If I could give some words of encouragement: I never had PAIN. It was controlled by a morphine drip in the hospital (stayed 2 nights and .5 days) and then at home I had first Vicodin (which gave me extreme diahhrea which dr said no one had  this reaction before). I called dr immediately and got darvoset and diahhrea went away immiately. I bought a pill cutter. Once I started feeling better I went from 2 pills to one and then half a pill and then ibuprofen during day and 1/2 pain pill at night. I was in control the whole time so no pain. The pills are yucky so do not be afraid of getting addicted. The hardest part was getting out of bed from a flat position to sit up. Someone said they rented a recliner to sleep in. That is a good idea. The other hard part was picking things up that fell. I have seen some things sold online that is a gripper that picks things up. A small flat lightweight ice pack is nice once things start healing. This was a huge surgery. 3 weeks out of commission. I go on walks every day and am back to work part-time. I just started driving after 3 weeks. So you need to really prepare. I had home health care when I first came home. They brought me food, did my laundry, took out the garbage, helped me up the stairs, put a plastic lawn chair in the shower,turned on the sprayer and left everything within reach. I carried a pillow over my stomach to help support it. I found when walking that my stomach jiggled a little and this was painful. The pillow cushioned the seat belt for the ride home from the hospital. This is BIG surgery. My tumor was about the size of a football -- all together -- so I am happy to have it out. It seemed to grow and take up every inch of space inside of me. My body feels lighter and years younger from not having that weight inside me.

I too am scheduled to have a partial hysterectomy, they will take my uterus and my cervix. My tubes have been tied for 10 yrs but I have a tumor on my cervix and fibroids on my uterus. Is there anything anyone can say positive? Will I lose my sex drive? Do have have to worry about my bladder dropping? Will it fell like an "empty tunnel" when my husband has sex with me like some of his friends have said?
I had my hsyterectomy done back in April of this year.  Three months later, I found myself back in the hospital (while on vacation) for emergency surgery.  There was an air pocket left in my system. If I did not have the surgery done immedicately, I would have died.  Now I am trying to proceed with legal assistant.  Tell me what I should do?
im 25 and had to have a partial and im in the same shoes u are.  I want more kids.  I have 2 from a prior marriage and want some with my new husband.  I have checked on a uteren transplant to have more kids.  THERE  IS HOPE>>>>>>>>>
I had a super cervical done in Jan.  they took my uterus and left everything else.   I also had issues with air being trapped.  They did an ultrasound and it showed the fluid and air was still in there two weeks later.  I looked like I was six months pregnant.  Good luck trying to get a law suit for it.  Unless they can prove that the doc was neg. for something, there really isn't a case.  I know this because my mother had back surgery, and the only reason she is able to sue is because the doc broke of a drill bit in part of her back.  That's not why she can sue though.  She can sue because the doc was in an area that he wasn't suppose to be in.  Unfortuatly when you sign papers at the beginning you pretty much sign your life away.  For all the females that have had only their uterus out and left everything else, you can still have a small period.  If you have your cervix.  This is due to the fact if there is still uterun cells ontop of your cervix.  I have had periods......very small spotting normally for the last 6 months after surgery.  Doc told me before had that this would happen.  You can request your doc to burn those cells.  Mine has done it a couple of times.  They just stick a long q-tip up there with some stuff on it that burns the stuff on your cervix.  Many females may tell you that after having your uterus removed you cannot have periods.  They are wrong.  You can check on the internet and with your OBGYN regarding this and as long as you have your cervix you can have a spotting period.
I'm 29 and the reason that the doc told me to keep my cervix is because there are casing of womens vaginal walls collapsing or protruding through vagina.  The cervix helps hold your vagina up.  I am 29 though and that is the reason for that.  It is rare anyways when that does happen.  My doc had a case of it happening, and she had to sew the ladies vagina up due to the vaginal walls collapsing.  She was also older though.  
Always do research before having any surgery done. Things happen, and maybe just to a small percentage of people, but they do happen.  You have to be prepared.  Never let a doc tell you what you should have done, get a second opinion.
I had a partial hysterectomy in January because of post partum hemmorhage. The doctor said he left a "short cervix" to preserve sexual function. I was extremely worried about sex because I thought it would just be a tunnel, but don't worry. If they leave the cervix it is the same as it was before the hysterectomy.

I also am having mini periods, ever since I stopped breastfeeding. It doesn't really bother me because it is only one or two day s of very light spotting, but it is strange to know there's no uterus but there's still a period.
If the doc leaves your cervix and takes your uterus, you will not be "dry" since your cervix does put off some moisture.  There are down falls to keeping your cervix though and you should do a family background check.  One of the first signs of cervical cancer is your periods stops or slows.  When you get your uterus out and keep your cervix you only have spotty periods, so you won't be able to go by your periods regarding cervical cancer.  Just make sure you haven't slept with a bunch of guys or you don't have a family history and you should be fine.
I had a partial hysterectomy in 1991, I had my cervix and uterus removed. I still have my ovaries and fallopian tubes, the reason for my hysterectomy was because I had a tumor on my cervix, my doctor stated that he could remove the tumor but that it was a great possibility that the tumor would
grow back cancerous, the hysterectomy was the end result. My menstrual cycle after healing at that moment ceased, now in the last year and a half I have seen bleeding, not a lot and it may last only throughout the day or the next day after. I asked my doctor about it and he informed me that this could happen if stress is playing a part in my life, which it is. I will still go to the doctor because you just never know what it may be that's causing the bleeding. For the ladies out there that want to know if they will lose their sex drive, for me the answer was no, but I will tell you one thing, I had and still have periods which I get extremely hot and I don't mean temperature hot. You will always have most of your same feelings, if at anytime you didn't want to be intimate with your partner, that will not change, but I can tell you that over the years you will seem more tired but there is a remedy to that also.
I'm amazed how most of you women are out of the loop. I still have normal, great sex, my partner can't get enough of me. The fact that your cervix is gone has nothing to do with your performance of sex and if it will feel like entering a tunnel. Should we go back to sex education? Remember the vagina? Well that is what the man is entering, not your cervix. Please ladies, act as if you do know a little about yourselves. As for vaginal dryness, that comes when you have your ovaries removed because you no longer have estrogen excreting. After I had my surgery, my doctor placed me on estrogen pills, within a week I had to return to him because of the vaginal dryness, see the pills worked in reverse because I was still excreting estrogen from my ovaries, so I didn't need to take estrogen pills. So ladies if you still have your ovaries and the doctor has placed you on estrogen and you are experiencing vaginal dryness, I would have a talk with my OBGYN.
Sorry for asking but who was talking about being dry and feeling like a tunnel?  I don't have any problems with that stuff.  I had just my uterus removed, and I have a light period each month which is normal if you have your cervix because of the uterun cells on top that were left.  Some females get on here because they might be getting the procedure done and are affraid of what it might be like.  That doesn't mean they aren't in touch with their bodies, that just means they are looking into all the possibilities.  Seems smart to me.  You need to remember though that some females ovaries shut down after having partial because blood does flow as well.  Not everyone has the same experiences and that is why we all have different comments on here, doesn't mean we are wrong, but that we make the poster realize that there are many different things that can happen to a person.  Plus, the date that most of these people were leaving replys was last year.
I had a complete hysterectomy June 2004 after being diagnosed with adenomyosis and numerous fibroids.  Thank God I have been blessed, I have had no bleeding and was told by my Dr, my 3r opinion by the way, which all dr's said there would be no bleeding after the surgery.  I only kept my ovaries and fallopian tubes to prevent early menopause.  The only minor problem is every 5-6 months I have serious cramps for a day, I assume the day I am ovulating that month. If I were still bleeding I would be seeing my Dr or another just to make sure. You have to make sure you are comfortable. You know your body.  I suffered for a year in terrible pain before a had my hysterectomy and I only had the surgery because I wouldn't live on pain medication.  The adenomyosis was diagnosed in the lab after a biopsy of the uterus. So after 3 OB Dr's and numerous other Dr's and tests I am finally out of pain.  But as I stated you are the one who knows your own body, if you feel it is not right go see another Dr..  Don't always take everything they say as truth. Listen to you self as well.
I still have bleeding because I have my cervix, and that is actually normal because there is a tube or something (opening) that runs from the top of your cervix to your vagina, and docs can't always get all the uterun cells off your cervix because they don't want to damage the cervix since it is staying.  Doc showed me a diagram that confirmed this.  Everytime I go to get a pap done though, she does put something on a swab and it carterizes the cells.  I wanted to get everything taken out and be put on hormones but the doc wouldn't since I am only 29.  It is so much better now though because I don't have horrible periods that leave me home for the first two days.  My utuern lining was thicker then any the doc had ever seen.  
HELLO, I'm (45 years old) 12 days post op of a subtotal hysterectomy with removal of worst ovary and retention of cervix.  It was explained to me that because the cervix has been left (for shape and sexual pleasure) that there may be a tiny section of uterus left at the top of the cervix which will respond in a cyclical way to the oestrogen still being produced by my remaining ovary.  Today is the day my period would have been due (!!!!) and last night I felt the old familiar nagging pains, but by no means a fraction of the pain previously experience.So searched the web for more information.  However, as I type this I have not had any spotting or bleeding at all. Not even straight after the operation.

I was in hospital for 2 and a half days.  I was informed that when I woke up I would have a drip in my arm and a catheter and a drain to clear away any excess blood from the op sight.  These were all removed the following morning.

My gynaecology problems started after the birth of my second child in 1991.  I suffered extremely heavy periods lasting days ending up be anaemic with a red cell count of 5.6.  Had a couple of ops over the years to reduce the lining of the womb (endometrital  resection) but the lining grew back unevenly in pockets making it difficult to expel every month.  It was also discovered that I had a fibriod embedded in the womb wall and my right ovary was cycstic.  This made me double over with pain every month.  But when it had all passed I would stick my head in the sand for another 3 weeks until next time. With hindsight this was stupid of me, but we girls just seem to carry on regardless!!!

I go back to see Prof in 2 days time which will be 2 weeks since the op.  I have been given a comprehensive set of instructions what to do and not do.  The fridge is a great place to pin this so the teenagers in the house can read it for themselves whilst raiding. I  am off work for 6 weeks in total.  THANK YOU for sharing your experiences information is power.
I don't think that I had bleeding the first month after.  My periods are spotting at most.  Well most times I don't have to wear anything, but then sometimes I have to wear a junior tampon.  Very light.  Which is okay with me.  I too started having more issues after my second child.  I have always had heavy periods due to thicker linning, but after second child I was getting periods about twice a month for no reason.  Now they are back on track.  I wonder since they took one of your ovaries that you might only have slight period every other month????  
That is true about leaving your cervix for sexual and support.  My OB doc had a woman that had this issue.  She had a full hyster and after some time her vaginal walls collapsed and they had to sew her vagina up.  I didn't want to take that chance since I am only 29.
It is amazing how people react differently to surgerys.
Been back to see Prof who told me 2% chance of bleeding. Quiet often (depending on the age of the woman,) if you are left with one ovary it steps up production to make up for the missing one same as if you have a kidney removed, the other one works harder to overcome the loss. (the human body is an amazing intracate machine). But as I am already 45 I may go into early menopause anyway, on avereage 2 years after this sort of procedure. I'm ok with that.

I also found out that when the uterus is cut away from the cervix it leaves a stump which is then
lasered/zapped this is why there should be no bleeding because nothing to shed.  One thing I can be sure of.......I still have PMT!!!!!! or is it just having teens in the house?!! love them really.  Thank you very much for sharing your experience Laura, I to am amazed at the varried stories and experiences.
Wow never knew that if you have one ovarie that it steps up production. I would have thought you only ovulated every other month.  The things you learn.  
I wish though that I would've had my ovaries out because I am one of those women that put on about 5 pounds of water weight during her period.  I hate it.  The one good thing though is now I don't get so tired since I'm not bleeding heavy anymore.  Growing up I would be tired during my period, and then the first couple of days of it I stayed home because I would go through super plus tampons every hour.  Yuk.  I was glad though that my uterus was really thick because that explained my problems growing up.  
This month my period was even lighter then normal, just lasted a day and couldn't even wear a tampon with it.  I am happy with that.  I would've liked to not have a period after super cervical hyster, but I can handle it.
I have heard though that your ovaries can shut down after having your uterus removed due to blood flow to the ovaries.  I don't think it is common, plus the doc told me that my ovaries looked good after the surgery.  Man what women have to go through.
I know that the doc did laser the uterun cells on tope of my cervix, but I guess some of them got missed.  Next time I go in for my pap I am going to have her put some more of that silver stuff on my cervix to help with that.  Kindof burns but not bad.  Cramping burn.
I am also one of those water babes, or should I say used to be.  Going up a dress size for 1 week a month and feeling like a water baloon.  But not anymore.  I changed a few things that I eat, not saing it's anysort of miracle diet or the answer to everyones water retention problem, but for me I only eat fruit for breakfast and 3 glass of water. (popular myth that you should cut down fluid intake).  Have a one coffee about 10.30 -11.00am with a pumpkin seed Ryveta, more water.  Soup and more Ryveta at lunch and then cook dinner for family in evening, with only water to drink and cammomile Tea or Peppermint Tea in the evening.  Sounds bland now I've written it down, but basically cut out bread and breakfast cerials and crisps (I think you call them chips) and all those salty type snacks (which I love but bloat me up because of the high salt content. I also snack on plain nuts during the day mostly cashew or macadamia, but never the salted ones.  I promise I'm not as boring as  I sound!! and off course I stray and have stuff that doesn't agree with me but hey ho!  (no salty things also helps with the sore swollen boobs too, which I used to get mid month just after ovulation)

As far as the ovary thing goes, apparently it doesn't always step up but it does in some women.

OH BOY you talk about tiredness! unbelieveable how I dragged myself round everyone telling me how pale and ill I looked.  Feeling cold and sleepy.

I don't understand the term super cervical hysterectomy.  Here it's either total or sub total hysterectomy meaning everythingtaken out (total) or not quiet everything, various combinations of different bits left in (sub total).  How often do women have a pap test.  We call it a cervical smear, we go every couple of years and it is usually done by a specialised nurse at the GP surgery.
super cervial hyster.  Is where they take out your uterus and leave everything else.  They did it by bandaid surgery where they made a hole in my belly button, and one on each side.  
So tell me more about this no eatting bread.  I love bread.  I don't eat alot of sweets but I love bread.  That helped you????  I will try anything now.  Tell me more I am all ears.
oh crickey, if you search bloating/ IBS etc you might find some info.  But there is some research about yeast from bread and women over 40 (our metabolism changes which I think we are aware of but fail to change with it).   My favourite dishes are pasta and lasagne and tomato and onion italian breads.  I'm not sure if it's the gluten or yeast that affects me or a combination of both, but do have to limit how much I have.  Peppermint oil capsules or tea help.
funny that you brought yeast up.  the docs are actually checking me for a yeast overgrowth.  canadia.  
you just made me hungry while reading what you wrote.  hahaha
I knew about the tea, but I didn't know about the peppermint oil might have to try that.  
by the way what was the birth weight of your babies?
my first was 6 pounds 9 ounces and my second was 7 pounds.  both girls.
did you find anything yet about IBS and bloating yet?
yes.  funny thing is i just ate some ice cream and i swear it feels like my stomach just bloated out 3 inches.  which i have always seemed to have a problem with dairy messing with my stomach.  
so you think that i should take out bread.  i really am interested in this IBS because I think that is most of my problems with bloating.
If I have surgery and they remove both of my tubs and leave my uterus, and my overies, will I still get a period?
why are they just taking your tubes?
I have had 3 surgeries this year to remove cervical dyspasia (HPV) and the last one the 2 OB's who did it told me I have "sightings" in my uterus when they looked in there with a camera. They told me that they will continue the surgeries, or I can get my uterusd (ONLY) removed. I am 26 yrs old, have 2 boy (5yrs & 18mos) my youngest was born 11 lbs. I don't want anymore children and I am considering having my uterus removed simply because I am SO SICK of all these "clyposcypy's" / surgeries.
I am completely terrified of my ovaries possibly shutting down though, which I have heard they go into "shock" and gaining weight as a result, it took me a long time to get back to my wieght after an 11lb baby. Any suggestions?
well, I had my uterus removed in Jan this year.  So about 6 months ago or so.  I am 29 years old and have two children.  Gotta say the best thing I have ever did.  My ovaries are well and working normal.  The doc will check out your blood flow to your ovaries during surgery to make sure they are alright.  I can't tell anything different except I just have a spotty period.  Understand since you are keeping your cervix that you may have a spotty period each month.  Some uterun cells get left ontop of your cervix so the doc doesn't  damage your cervix.  
I have no weight gain at all.  My hormones have not changed at all.  I had novasure ablation done a couple of months before I had my uterus removed, but it didn't work as well as it does on most females.  
The surgery I had was a supercervical hyster.  Three small holes one in my belly button and one on each side.  Band aid surgery.
I too had about 3 surgerys done before finally having my uterus out, take my word do it, so worth it.
if you've completed your family you don't need the growbag. Take control of this situation, do some power walking join an exercise class, walk to the shops, get off the bus a couple of stops early, the pounds will stay off if you eat small portions and exercise. Calorie intake has got to be used up otherwise you will get big.  At 26 with 2 small boys you should be fairly active. My second child was 11lb 3oz. (first 9lb) at the time I would have loved to have more babies, but now they are 18 and 15 years old, and the eldest about to go to university next month I'm glad I stopped at 2.  I had one hand to hold each child and one knee each for them to sit on.  They were very cheap to run when they were little but expensive to feed now!!

So the message is tell your ovaries they won't go into shock, take charge,as Laura above says best thing I ever did too. already I feel loads better and I'm only just over 3 weeks post op.

I'm 10st because I want to be 10st. (140lbs) no ovary is going to change that.
I had a partial done almost two years ago.  I have always had pain in the overies section mostly on the right side, it has progressively gotten worse.  I have noticed that it happens about every 28 days, cycle for menstrating.  My question is if you don't have a uterus, still have a cervix and overies do, you obviously still have eggs that must get released, where do they go, would it cause such severe pain that you can't walk.  I can olny describe the feeling as contractions, yes labor contractions.  I have talked to my Dr and have had several tests done and they have found nothing.  Anybody else feeling what I am feeling and what is it and most importantly what can you do for the pain.  Please help
Hello. I had a subtotal hysterectomy on 21 Jun 07. Kept my left ovary and cervix. I felt great for 4 weeks afterwards, not even a backache or pelvic pain. Yeah!! My only complaints were a swollen, numb belly (I have a bikini incision), numbness in my right inner thigh (which has gone away) and very slow bowels (still have lots of gas and infrequent bowel movements even though I eat lots of fruit, fibre, drink water, and walk as much as I can). Then suddenly around the 4th week post op, I could have sworn I experienced a teeny period. I spotted very slightly, had tender breasts, and just like pre-surgery, back and pelvic pain (darn, I hoped to be rid of that forever). The spotting lasted only one day, so I thought maybe it was dissolving stitches coming out - no period afterall??? The back/pelvic pain went away, so I was relieved. Then around the 8 week mark post-op, (around 8 Aug), I began to experience very deep lower back, pelvic, and bladder pain, and wouldn't you know it, a period followed from 13-18 Aug (with bright red blood to start with clots, eventually ending with dried, old, stringy stuff). Here it is, 28 Aug, the bleeding stopped about 10 days ago, but I am still very achy in the lower back, pelvic and bladder area. Having trouble sleeping at night because pain is so bad and I can't get comfortable. Extra strength Tylenol, and extra strength Motrin have not relieved the pain. In desperation, I tried one Tylenol 3. It didn't help either (won't take anymore because they are constipating). I even tried rubbing TigerBalm on my back and pelvic region to illeviate the pain without success. I got in to see my gynecologist today (second time since 17 Aug), he is not sure if I am experiencing pain from periods (it could be if I have some endometrium lining left at the top of my cervix), or if I have a hematoma (blood clot) at the top of my cervix, or if my cervix is not healing properly. I have been very careful not to overexhert myself. Haven't even had intercourse yet since I've been feeling so achey (achy) (poor husband - more like POOR ME!!). I am 9-weeks post op now and didn't expect to encounter problems at this late stage. I am supposed to be going away on a 1-week course in just a few days, and am concerned about flying if what I am experiencing is a hematoma (blood clot). Sitting for a long period in an airplane and sitting for five days on course will just put a whole lot of extra pressure down. It doesn't sound like a good idea.  My Dr has booked me for an emergency ultra-sound for this Thursday. I hope to know what's going on soon. While it would be frustrating and hugely disappointing to have periods, I hope that's all it is, and not a hematoma. I will cancel my trip/course if needed (boo-hoo as I had planned to spend a few days with my best girlfriend as well).  I did had read somewhere that it was possible to have a mini-period if you kept your cervix and and ovary, so yes, I knew there was a slim chance that could occur. However, I am glad to keep my cervix because it aids in bladder support, and the natural arousal process. My left ovary seems to be functioning properly so I kept it. A recent hormone test revealed that I am not fully menopausal but I'm in the early stages of "the change" (I'm 47 years old, never had children). I noticed in all of the posts above that no one mentioned anything about deep pelvic, back, and bladder pain. I've also had a lump just above my incision that comes and goes (and is very deeply painful). Anyway, is it periods? Hematoma? or something else wrong with my cervix or incision?  Hopefully the ultra-sound will shed some light. I have read about silver nitrate procedures but do not know if this treatment option will be presented to me. Anyway, I would be interested to hear from anyone that has experienced very deep pelvic, back and bladder pain (persisting for weeks) or if anyone has had a hematoma and what was done about it. Also, if you did silver nitrate treatment, did you have to miss any work? To clarify, they have also checked me for a bladder infection - it came back fine (no problem). Any comments would be appreciated. Many thanks.    
I had a partial hysterectomy 5/22/07.  Bikini insision.  Here it is 9/4/07 and I am still having what I call a mini period.  Even after surger the next month I had a light period and called the doctor same in July and called the Dr. again and went in for a check up.  The Dr. told me that if the uterus is not completely removed there will be bleeding and not to worry about it - my pain is gone and the bleeding is not heavy.  I can live with that explaination, but thought that I would be period free.  I'm hoping with time it will just go away.  After my surgery I had 2 problems - 1. I felt like I had a lump on my left side where the insision is.  I went for an ultrasound last month - but they couldn't see anything.  Since then that pain went away, the tech pressed on the spot and the next day or day after the pain was almost gone, but I still feel like my stomach is bloated no matter how much I walk or how little I eat I feel heavy - I also still sleep with a pillow to support my stomach as it still hurts to lay on it - I just hoping with time all will be fine.  2. My second problem (which I still have and I am going to a Urogynocologist (I think that's how it's spelled) in 2 weeks)  is ever since the operation when I urinate - I don't know if it is my bladder or operation site - but I have pain as I stop urinating .  The pain has not gotten any better or worse over time - it just the same.  My Dr. checked for a bladder infection and it came back fine.  If any one has had this problem I would appreciate any info you have. God Bless.
I have had problems with heavy bleeding since my uterine rupture 18 years ago. I had an oblation (ablation) and it only slowed the bleeding down  for a few months. I am going to have a partial hysterectomy on the 13th and this is how my Dr explained it to me. When the uterus is removed, the lower portioned is left to help hold up the bladder. But by doing this, it is possible that I could still have bleeding each month, but it should be lighter. When he does the surgery, he is going to coterize (sp) the top of the cervix to hopefully prevent me from any more bleeding.  Hope this works, and thanks for the info that I have read from this website.  blesd3x
I hope eveything works out for you!!  I was glad I found this site - it's been very informative and I'm less stressed knowing I'm not the only one out there with these after surgery symptoms.  God Bless You and Good Luck on the 13th.
i to had hysterctomy 2007 5 months ago i get sad alot crying all the time don't know how to feel, i talk to people who had the same thing there say it will past, but the sex is great but the cry got to go i do know how you feel,and hope we both feel better, my dr say i need some happy pill's that make you feel better so maybe you should talk to your doctor
just had hysterectomy two weeks ago.  It was awesome.  i feel great.  everyone should try this.  I have lost 20 ounds, look like I'm 20 again, and have the sex drive of my late teens.  Why did I wait so long?
I had my partial hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, and am doing great!  I have lost 15 pds, feel so much hope for a better future where I can actually leave the house without worrying about how many pads I will soak through in an hour.  I had 0ver 9 fibroid tumors, the largest 1 about the size of a softball, and also had gallbladder surgery the same morning.  My biggest pains are with the gallbladder surgery, it's very hard to eat much besides liquids, I have diarrhea constantly from that, but it is starting to improve slowly.  I went back to the dr. for a check-up this past Mon. and they said things are healing very well.

I was actually on my period the day of my surgery so it will be a bit before I know if I will have another, but I have not had any bleeding at all thus far, and was told I possibly could have light bleeding for several weeks following surgery.

I would recommend anyone with problems contact your dr and discuss all issues with them.  My dr. has been very supportive and I am happy I had the surgery.
First thank you all so much! I am so glad I am not the only one with this problem!

I had a supracervical hysterectomy jan 2007. I have had horrible lower abdominal pain, bleeding, moods swings, back pain, sweating, and urination while running. My doctor told me the same thing "you will never have a period again" WRONG! He kept telling me something else must be wrong "could not be from the surgery". It is so sad, and as someone else said "a huge secret" SO MANY DOCTORS DO NOT KNOW THEMSELVES IF YOU LEAVE THE CERVIX, YOU CAN HAVE PERIODS!. I just went to see a new OBGYN she said "I can't believe no one told you this, you are having a period". My head was spinning, she was so matter of fact. She said she only left 4 cervix's in her life, extreme circumstances. Why don't these doctors know? The worst part is women are doing this every day and they won't know until it is too late. Why would you look for "periods after hysterectomy" when you doctor has already told you this surgery is great, "no more periods, you will keep your ovaries, cervix, and go through menopause normally without hormones". Sounds great until after the fact. I really thought I was going crazy, until I saw this forum. I am also going to see an attorney. I hope I can find a female attorney who specializes in Medical Malpractice. Honestly men just would not understand. Oh, and for the person quoting "The New England Medical Journal" It can happen!!!! Just look at all these women!
I am going it on Monday for the same thing you had done. I am one of the ladies you are talking about, I have been suffering for years with very painful-heavy periods with debilitating back pain and fatague.
I guess I will be asking Dr about the cervex thing as I do NOT want to have to go through surgery thinking I am cured when this problem can come back. That is the main reason to do surgery instead of trying other methods.
JILL
Jill, I had the same thing. Really bad periods, back pain. They said I had an enlarged uteris. Which was true. I would really consider having your cervix taken out. I'm not a doctor, but I am going to have to have this surgery done again, just to take out my cervix. Trust me once is enough! Good luck!
I had a super cervical hyster 2 yrs ago. I'm a medical wonder. It shocks doctors and nurses that I see everytime they find out my story. 2 yrs ago I had my 4th child and everything was fine. Labor was 1 hour and about 1/2 hour after my son was born I started to bleed to death. They rushed me to have a D & C but that didn't work. So they gave me an emergency super cervical hyster. I have my ovaries and my cervix as well as a small top of my uterus. I had 4 blood transfusions and was told how lucky I was to be here.
I said goodbye to my husband at 11:30am and didn't see him again until 8:00pm. This was the most painful thing I have ever gone thru in my life BUT people rarely get hysters the way I did. They gave me a super cervical because after having a baby nothing in me looked like it was suppose to and the doctor didn't want to just start cutting at things.
I have a had periods ever month since my hospital stay. Some are light and others are heavy but not like a real period. They last for a few days. The funny thing is I bloat a lot worse than I did when I had everything. I just had a pelvic ultrasound done because I feel aches and pains now and then but was told that is scar tissue.
As far as a sex drive, I still have one and orgasms are more intense now.
I thing everyone is different and two women with the same hyster will have different experinces.
My doctor told me that it was going to still be possible for me to still have periods after a supercervical and why should I not?
I mean I still have a small part of my uterus and I have everthing else too they just are not attached together anymore.
If everything was removed than yes I would say No to a period but not the hyster I have.
I belong to HysterSister online and it was helpful after my surgery to have this place for information.
Just be aware there are lots of women on this site that are seriously sad and it is hard to read some of them. I cried and cried for a month afterwards but I had death and then the hyster to deal with. I can say now after 2 yrs it is better and even though I didn't ask for a hyster I feel that they are helpful if you need one. Lucky the women that have the chance find out what all is envolved with what they are going to get before they get it.

Hi there,
I asked the doctor before surgery if I am going to have my period because he is leaving the cervex? He was impressed that I knew about that and reasured me that they detached the uterus and scraped a good portion of the cervex away.
It is 2 days after my surgery. I feel pretty good. I am not bleeding right now. I am a bit sore and tired but all and all think things will be ok?
I was 33 when I had my uterus, one ovary and tube removed and my cervix was left intact this was because I had a cyst the size of an orange and I also decided we didn't want anymore children. This was two years ago and I still get blood spotting every so often, it may be light red, blood clot or a dark red. I asked a dotor at a check up where I needed a follow up injection about if I would have a period and she looked at me in surprise and said " you will not have one as your uterus has been removed ". I don't have period pain but I do get aches where my ovary is and also where it would have been on the opposite side.
Thanks to all who take the time to share their experiences, concerns and most of all their knowledge. It has been helpful in answering  questions and concerns that have arisen since my surgery the 5 of Oct.  
Is there any positive experiences after partial hysterectomy.
Although I'd love to read all of the posts, it seems I just don't have time this a.m..  I just wanted to pipe up and say that it's COMPLETELY possible to have a period after a partial hysterectomy.  I just got back from the doctor yesterday regarding this very issue.  Here's the way it's been explained to me...  a part of my endometrial lining has grown down into the cervix, therefore causing what I should expect to be a "mini period".  It's not a full blown period, because there's only a small portion of the endometrial lining left, but every month I can expect a small period because all of the endometrial lining was not removed.  The doctor said this happens in less than one percent of women and it's very rare.  

So to all of the ladies out there who thought Aunt Flo was gone for good.... just remember, Auntie Flo loves you and can't bare to live w/o you!!!!  

I told my doctor "Only I could go through a hystrectomy and STILL have a period!!!"  lol, well me and the other "less than one percent"....

less than one in a hundred and I drew the lucky straw!!!
I also have had a supra cervical hysterectomy, and am going through"periods"
I am curious as to how many of you that are also bleeding have had theirs laprascopically? I have been doing some research on line and it seems that laprascopic hyst's can leave behind small pieces of diseased uturine tissue, this tissue can attach to cervix and, as in my case, return of syptoms (symptoms). I had Adnomyosis, endometriosis, and fibroids. Studies show that vaginal is probably best at removing. I asked if my cervix could be affected by my disease and was told no. I also have a 3cm round structure in my abdomen near my appendix that causes stabbing pain every 28 days. Doctors thought it was appendix at first. So did i till it recurred every 28 days 8 times in a row. Just went through 3rd MRI. nothing but 3cm round thing is showing up, they are scratching their heads. I really have to wonder sometimes if i am being heard. Such frustration. I thought i did my research before my surgery. If i had it to do all over again i would have had it vaginally and had my cervix removed also. 6 weeks recovery is faster than 9 months of pain and frustration AFTER surgery.
Hi, i see your post wasback in august, has anything happened since then? any answers? I too am going throught the same thing, maybe help each other out.

And to anyone who is reading the massages in this post, please remeber the topic " bleeding after hyst" We must be the 12% or 15% or whatever percent it is that actually have cyclic bleeding. Not all women have it. We are just the unlucky ones i guess.
am 25 have 2 kids happily married and an getting a partial hys at the end of nov, i have deep thrust pain during sex , i am sick to death of not having a normal sex life, my doc says its because of endrometrosis,will haveing my uterus removed help this situation, i dont care it i still have a period i dont mind them, if they left my cervix  i just hate the pain, any comments much appreciated, am i making the right choice? Emily
Hi, i too had a partial hyst, and i can tell you it makes your sex life better. Usually with women who have pain find when the pain is gone, we can focus on other things. Especially when we have had children and don't want more. I know it is true for me, i don't associate my uterus with being a women, i did however associate it with pain. My concern though is i have been reading about endometriosis after a hysterectomy, some docs feel it needs to be treated before hysterectomy. Which to me makes sense because endometrosis forms mostly outside the uterus, so removing the uterus does not help with this totally. I would research on the web and ask your doctor about this. Ovaries left in will "talk" to the left behind endo tissue and may definetly cause pain still. I too would not mind the bleeding it is the pain i can't stand, but the bleeding is foul. I believe i have endo tissue left behind after hyst and am dealing with docs who look at me funny. So please, look into this BEFORE surgery, it may save you time and frustration as well as pain after hyst. Good luck, and remember your not alone.
Has anyone had their partial done vaginally? That is what I was told today... I am haveing a partial done vaginally so the recovery time will be less. Has anyone had this done? Is it painful? I am so scared. I hate pain! :(
im having mine done through the vagina also, ive read that that is the best way, im scared to, visit hyster sisters,  they have good info, thanks suelat, great advie, im feeling alot better now that i found this site. emily
Just had abdominal supracervical hysterectomy done by head of GTN surgery at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC.  The doctor explained this to me prior to surgery.  The cervix is merely the bottom part of the uterus.  Any changes the uterus went through, the bottom part or cervix when left in will go through too.  He actually told me to expect mini-periods.  I figured it was better than what I was living with for the past four years.  I have a friend who had the same procedure ten years ago and eventually the mini periods stopped, prior to her going into hormonal menopause.
I had a partial hysterectomy. The same problems I have, aafter surgery mini periods, but my periods are mixed colors, very dark black and bright red,also I noticed that when I make an effort I have more , well.. the thing is that I went to 5 different doctors, they all  agree that some gland was left in the cervix, also could be part of the uterus or the linning, and they all recommend a procedure called freezing, they insert a little tool in the cervix, (the cervix size is like 1 1/2" or 2", so this tool is like 2", and when they insert it they freeze all the glands, blood vessels or linning that could have been left from the surgery. I feel relief knowing that there is something to stop this periods. My only question as lots of you have is WHERE IS THIS BLACK BLOOD COMING FROM, I understand that the red blood comes from the gland, the blood vessels or the linning left by mistake by the doctor, but, the black blood, old blood, where is it coming from. And if they close the exit where the black blood is coming from, where is the black blood going the next month ?
I hope my experience helped you, and if you know something about this black blood let me know.
Love all , this has been hard.
I had a supra cervical hysterectomy in June of 2007. I have had light "spotting" every month since.  Also, I have had severe abdominal cramps on a monthly basis...I will have them for 2 days, then get a break for a few days & then they are back. They are bad enough that I am curled up in a ball to try & relieve them.  I always had very heavy cycles (which was why we did the hysterectomy in the first place) but I NEVER had cramps before.  I recently went to see my OBGYN & he said that it is not very common to continue to bleed following this procedure (approx. 5% of all woman will).  His suggestions to me were one of two things...a cervical ablation (which is done in the office & they cortorize-burn-the cervix), or a complete hysterectomy (which would require hormone treatment).  Or, of course, I could just put up with it if it's not overly bothering me.  I have not yet made up my mind yet as to what I want to do.  Chances are, it will be the complete hysterectomy because I can't deal with the cramping & I don't believe that the ablation will take care of that.  I WAS told prior to the procedure that it would be possible to still bleed monthly, but that it was very slight.  I have tremendous faith in my OBGYN so I don't believe that it's something that he did wrong or anything (let's face it, we can't ALL have doctors that need malpractice suits against them!).  I'll let you know how things continue to work out.  Good luck to all of you....I feel your pain!  
I am having a partial hysterectomy next week due to fibroids - had them removed 2 years ago and they keep growing back - - pain, and endometriosis... I am 42, engaged to a 43 yr old man who has never had kids... I already have 2 kids and don't really want any more at my age but will I still produce eggs after a partial hysterectomy - - thinking about surrogacy and having someone else cary the baby (my eggs and my fiance's sperm)

Thanks, V
I had a partial hysterectomy done 2 years ago and just recentlly the mini periods have gotten worse.I thought I would have no periods too,but atleast im not bleeding like I used too.I am going to get a check up here soon with a new dr because my new dr said shes not sure why my old dr did this surgery.I still feel the same pain now as I did then.Just becarefull getting this done make sure you wiegh alll your options out im 33 and im starting to notice hormone changes and I still have my ovaries,be carefull ladies its life changing.
I had my supracervical on Feb. 11th. I had endometriosis covering my left ovary. The doc removed everything but my cervix and my right ovary was in good condition, so was able to keep as opposed to going on hormones. He said they prefer to keep the cevix if possible because it supports your bladder. He said about 5% of women will still have a period after this procedure because the cervix is left intact. Iv'e had severe pain left side post op. Yesterday Feb. 22nd. my entire stomach cramped up like it does before my periods. Wake up this morning to yep, a period. All my life i have had painful periods. I had laser surgery 10 yrs. ago for the endometriosis. Which is a temp fix. Doc said alot of time it returns, and it did. The past 4 mnths. i have been having 2-3 a mnth. the longest lasting 11 days. The cramps, the clotting, the bloating. And my worst is the mood swings. My husband nick-named me Sybill, cuz that time of the mnth. i was a crazy woman.Either hating the world, or crying over the stupidest thing. Hopefully in the long run the surgery will help. I truly understand what you ladies are going thru. All we can do is try to be strong. I'm glad there are places to turn when we are so confused. Brightest Blessings to all. Vickie
From Jessie

I am 29 years old and i have 4 kid's. I have to have a hysterectomy march 19. I am realy worried about if sex will be the same or better or worse. I have heard people say your partner can't feel any change duing sex. Then i've also heard after the surgery with getting your cervics removed it's not the same to them. So if anyone has any comment's please tell me. I am way to young not to have a sex life. Also they are doing a full hysterectomy on me and said that they can't give me hormone pill's after it because i have lumps in my breast and they said the hormone pill's would increase my risk of breast cancer. So i am so afraid im gonna be a basket case. I want  to know if you are a complete horomonale basket case or if it's not as bad as it seems. I am so stessed out about this so please any advice yu can give me please do thank you
This is a GREAT site!  I came because I was concerned because I had my partial hysterectomy in June 2004 and never had any problems.  Now, within the past 2 months, I'm cramping and spotting.  I'm trying to determine if this is due to the cervix still being there or something else possibly?

You guys have given a lot of really good information that I was unaware of

Thanks a bunch!
I had a supracervical hysterectomy two years ago due to hemmoraging following an emergency c-section.  I breastfed my daughter for 18 months and when she was 19 months I had a "mini period".  It was like the spotting I would have at the beginning/end of a period when I was still menstruating.  It was so light that I only noticed it when I wiped and a liner wasn't even necessary.  My doctor said some lining was probably left.  I've spotted very regularly every month for the past six months.  Today, I was surprised to see a much heavier "mini-period" on my undies.  I had to use a liner.  In addition, I've had mild cramping today.  I'm concerned that the spotting has become heavier all of a sudden.  I made an appointment with my Dr. to discuss cauterizing my cervix, which I've read is an option.
I'm glad I found this site.  I had a partial hysterectomy November 2003.  My doctor left my cervix  so I wouldn't have problems with my bladder. I also have cyclical "spotting" every month for about a week....I have all of the same symptoms of a period (sore breast, mood swings, cravings, etc.)  My doctor said that sometimes that is norma.  For the person worried about sex, I still like having it...probably even more now. My doctor told me that because he left my cervix, sex will still feel the same. My only concern right now is that in the last 30 days I have had 2 mini-periods.....I'm concerned about cervical cancer.....
I had a partial done on February 25 2008.  Last night I started my period.  My doctor is, of course, out of town until Monday afternoon.  I talked to the doc on call and he had my charts and said that they didn't take my whole uterus so of course I would still have my period.  WHAT??  The whole reason for me having the surgery was because I had horrible periods (3 weeks on at a time) with severe cramping up my entire back, down both my legs and throughout the abdomen.  Is this right?  Is it possible?  Why would my doc assure me that I would no longer have a period or cramps and then leave my left quadrant of my uterus in.  Can I still get pregnant?  Any suggestions?  I need help cuz I'm flippin out!
I had a hysterectomy on February 14th.  It was done laparascopically, so I only have very small scars. I did not even have to have stiches, just glue. I had fibroid cysts and was having heavy periods with bad clotting twice a month. I am thirty eight and was not planning on having children. I had the partial hysterectomy, and my Dr. did inform me beforehand that there may be some uterine cells left at the top of the cervix and I mave have some monthly spotting. Lo and behold! she was correct. It is not bad and I feel much better as a whole. The reason Dr's leave the cervix is because makes sure you do not have a prolapsed bladder and it is better for sex, does not change shape of vagina, etc. If my Dr. had not infomed me of the chance  of monthly bleeding I would have been mad too.
WOW...I felt soo alone until I found this site. I too had my Hyst (11/17/06). Had some of the same problems as I am reading here. Now the light periods each month. I HATE THIS SOO MUCH. I asked others if  this happened to them. I was told NO and I need to talk with my doc. Well I changed doc's and waiting on a call from my NEW doc.
I recently had surgery on 4/9/08 and I am having slight pain under my rib cage near my back. did not know of all the complications you could have after surgery. I don't feel like myself and feel off balanced. I was orginally supposed to just have my uterus removed leaving ovaries, tubes and cervix. After sugery the Dr. told me that not had he removed my uterus but mt left ovaries due to a large tumor on it and my cervix. I wonder if that is the reason for me feeling off balanced. The Dr. assured me that it will take some time for me to get back to normal. I wonder when that will be due to me feeling very drained by the end of the day and I am not even back to work yet. How can I work when I can't even make it through the day physically?
i had a partial hsyteretomy in 1986, through the vagina. i still have my tubs an ovaries. just recent after sex with my boyfriend i experieced some bleeding an pain. it feels like i have a yest infections but it also feels like somthing is coming out of my vagina. has anybody experienced this? go to dr. to find out whats wrong. ive never had a problem till now. though if had to do over again would not do it.
I am scheduled for Surgery in September 2008, I am very scared because I have never had surgery before. Any suggestions on preparing for surgery?
I had the surgery 4years ago (partial).  You didnt say if you had kids or not, but know that you WILL need help getting around for at least 2 weeks, even if you are childless.  Hysterectomy makes you very tired and another side effect is depression.  Get ready for that.  Keep good friends nearby for a good laugh....
After reading through all these messages I am still confused.  I know it is not normal to have a period after your uterus is removed but if you are (which I am for 4 months now) how long does it last?  I have been told a microscopic piece of uterus is still attached to my cervix and this is where the blood is coming from.  Well it is a lot of blood, a tampon had to be used this month.  It seems like each month it is getting heavier and the side effects horrible.  Should I consult another doctor?  Or do I just accept I am going to have period until the day I go through menopause?  My doctor is putting me back on the birth control pill to regulate the bleeding.  I am just wondering if I should be concerned and consult someone else.
Thanks!
Ok i had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago, having both my uterus and cervix removed. About a week after my surgery my breasts were sore and I felt Very pre-menstrual and I remember my doc saying that I may feel that way but the good part would be that I would have no period.... I'm now on day 3 of what I would classify as a light period, bleeding slightly more than a panty lighter can handle, at the same time I would have if I didn't have the surgery.  I read most of the postings above and most of you still have a cervix  ......  any ideas?
hi i have endometriosis  and also pelvic congestion syndrome.i have had 3 children. i hurt a lot and closer to when my periods are. i cant pick up my 3yr old daughter or hardly do anything on the days the pain is so bad. now my doctor says that he wants to do a partial hysterectomy. well actually he gave me two choices the partial hysterectomy or the pill. i have had my tubes cut tied and burned so i can not have anymore children anyway. i want to know what others think. thanks
to everyone else first...yes there are partial hysterectomies/supracervical hysterectomies and yes, some people have periods after them...me being one of them as was the woman in the bed next to me...she was there to have her cervix removed to completely stop her post hysterectomy periods. So, everyone stop the arguing and silliness, if you can't speak from experience then don't say it's not normal or possible because yes, it happens, not always, but not impossible. Mine stopped after a year.

Now, to Jenn. I had my tubes tied and a year later I had a supracervical hysterectomy (partial hysterectomy). Would I do it again? Yes. Was it horrible...for my co-worker...back to work in 48 hours, for me...I nearly died. I had a supracervical hysterectomy and a vaginal reconstruction. The supracervical left my cervix in tact which means I still have to go for yearly pap screens. Why did I leave it? Because if I had it removed it would have shortened the vagina and well, that wouldn't have worked well for my sex life. I wasn't up and about in 48 hours and I wasn't doing well. I hemorrhaged 12 days later and lost half my blood. Wasn't normal for most, it just so happened I'm learning I have a clotting disorder. Without this surgery, I might have never known. It's genetic and my cousin just died after a tonsillectomy so now I'm going through a battery of tests for the sake of my family and the genetic factor. The vaginal reconstruction was a good thing as well...especially for my husband, ha ha. I'm very happy with my decision to leave the length of the vagina and to have the uterus removed. No more pain, I can run and play with my 7 children, sex doesn't hurt anymore and yes, sex is still just as good as before so no worries there. I have my ovaries so I still have my female hormones so no facial hair or anything. And well, it's entirely up to you, but it was a good thing for me. ***@****
I just read over some old postings, and I'm glad I found this site. I am at the very begining of my journey...my GYN (a certified mid-wife...I love her!) told me after a regular exam, and ultrasound and an MRI that I have fibroids. Several big one in the wall of my uterus and and one hanging in the uterus (there is a name for that type of fibroid, but I can't remember it). I'll be making a call on Monday to make an appointment with a doctor to see what my options are (so far it looks like a hysterectomy or a uterine fibroid embolization). While I am not glad that people are having problems (I wish everything worked out well for everyone), I am glad that you decided to post about them. It gives me much more insight into what goes on and what may go on. Thank you everyone.
I had a supracervical hysterectomy on Dec. 16, 2008.  It is January 18 as I write.  I am experiencing some bleeding.  I went to my 2 week post-surgery appointment and told my dr. that I spotted at about 1 week post surgery.  He said I may still get some spotting but never told me about "period" symptoms.  I guess I should've asked more questions.
I first had the Novasure procedure in August 07.  That just made my problems worse.  So I told the dr. I couldn't take the pain anymore and we decided a supracervical hysterectomy.  I guess I just assumed that I wouldn't have periods.  ARRGGGH!   Oh well, if it can happen it will happen to me.    

I am scheduled for a partial hysterectomy in 23 days.  Scared but feeling more confident about what to expect....and that's the unexpected.  Reading everyone's posting has made me realize that my surgery, like me and like my uterus, will be unique.  I may or may not experience all or none of the effects that other women have experienced.  But I am better prepared for whatever may happen because of all of you.  So thank you all so very much!!  
Hi Jenn,
I too was diagnosed with endometriosis and pelvic congestion (varicose veins on uterus) and was given similar options. I opted for the supracervical hysterectomy and actually had it on 10 February 2009. After putting it off for 3+ years, I am glad it was done. I could feel the difference in the pressure and pain right away, even in the hospital. I had originally felt like I had a bowling ball sitting on my abdomine most of the time. Currently just two week post I am experiencing a slight period. I said to my husband the other night, "call me crazy but I feel just like I am having a period with the cramping and pressure and everything" The next day we called the Dr. and they asked me where I would be in my cycle, and that it is possible I am experiencing a small period due to the endometrial tissue continuing on to the cervix. It is bright red blood, not too much though so am wearing a panty liner. If I would of known this was possible before the surgery would I of opted to have the cervix removed also? After careful consideration and only 2 weeks post op. I would take my chances and go for the same procedure for the simple reason that I have never had a suspicious pap and the function the cervix plays concerning the pelvic floor. (support) While the period is annoying, uncomfortable and everything a period is,minus heavy bleeding and tissue passage (with endo) I don't know what can be done at this point. I feel confident that God will give me the strength to deal with this and it has happened for a good reason, for His ways are far better than mine. I do find the whole thing very interesting in fact my Dr. even upon my request, took 22 pictures, made copies and gave them to me to keep. So now I have proof of why I feel the way I feel inside as the scars have mostly healed on the outside already but I still tire easily and have some pain and discomfort at times from the inside. Insidently I stopped the narcotics in the hospital and have been on Extra Strength Tylenol as needed since. What I realized is that when you have endo in the muscle wall of your uterus AND pelvic congestion you live with a degree of pain everyday that somehow becomes normal and unnoticed, so when that goes away.....it is somewhat enlightening. I will be praying for you, your decision, your recovery if you have the surgery and your overall health. Also for God to give you the strength and wisdom to deal with this. My husband and boys (2) were great and helpful, I hope yours will be too.
hi i am 28  and i just had a parshule hysterectumy done this past jan on the 27 and the 28 the first time the doc. sad the sergiery was really good and went very well well later on that night and the next day i felt tarrible the doc came in and said how you doing i told him i felt like **** well to make a long story short come to finde out i was bleeding in side and had to go back in to sergiery again to finde the bleed but they did an ultra sound first to see and there was blood clots all over so i had no mchoice in the matter and how this is an ob doc. that i have recuminded to every one i knew my hole live that i have know him he is a great doc and i was the first one in his practice that that has every happen to he felt so bad but some thing in side came untied and that were the blood was coming from any how i dont really feel any diffrent i dont have a perioded any more and i just had my utreuse removed and a real bad case of endemetrioses all removed and now the only thing is that my lower back is always killing me more when i do alot of bending over and also pain in my legs and feet and some times my leg will shake from beeing on it to much or bend to long i dont know what thats all about?i never had it befor so its kinda scary and i still hafe alot of pain when i gp to the bathroom it feels like a blader infection but its not iv been tested over and over so i just keep telling my self maybe its still helling in side not sure any how i would never in my life ever have that surgiery again it was the worst day of my life and id never do it again even if i had to . it was the worst pain ever!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont wish it on any one ya i cant spell sorry hope u can at least make it out on what im tring to say thank u and have a good day
i had a hysterectomy 25 years oag im going to be 48 in c aouple of weeks, but today i had bright red blood vaginal bleeding i flushed the toliet but when i contracted my mucles to urinate blood was still their alot i felt light headed and scared i am worried if its cancer ,,,has anyone got an explanation for their bleeding after a complete hysterectomy...
I just had a partial in March 2009 and after that I had a Prolift A&P repair to fix my severe prolapse of bladder and rectum. The other day I started feeling really bad and then noticed that I was bleeding I called the gyn and they told me to come in the next morning.  When  they did the exam come to find out I am having a period!!!!  I had never heard of anything like that before.  Does anyone know how they fix this?  I have to go have an MRI next week becuase they think there is some of my uterus left becuase the doctor who did my hysterectomy did not remove the cervix....this has just left me all confused???
I am a 44 yr old mother of 3 who had a hysterectomy in May '08, i had constant bleeding with my period lasting for 5-10 days, heavy bleeding and clumping, i went to my ob/gyn and was told i had fibroid tumors, 4 of them from the size of a pea to the size of a 3mnth old fetus. I was given a hysterectomy because they were attached to my uterus, so i had uterus and cervix removed, cervix was removed due to early stage of cervical cancer. i am 5'5, 125lbs, before the surgery, i was 165lbs, i left out of the hospital with no compications at all, i returned to the doctor for my 6 week check-up and everything was great. i have not had anymore problems since, i put my trust and faith in God to heal my body. i will be praying for you women who are going through this i have read some of your comments and feel bad because i didn't have any complications. if any of you would like me to pray with or for you, you can e-mail me at ***@****.   Thank you and may God bless you all
I am 45 and I had a partial hysterectomy in March 08 due to extremely heavy periods.  I had numerous cysts on my right ovary and after surgery it was determined that it was filled with endometriosis.  He removed my uterus, right ovary and fallopian tube. while leaving the left ovary and tube.  After 8 weeks of healing, I noticed that I still had PMS, break outs and my breasts were SO sore.  I continued to take my birth control pills and life was wonderful...no periods, no pms, no acne.  Well, due to some other issues I decided to stop taking the bc pills in April 09.  So, once a month when I would have been having my period I have started having the symptoms again.  I can deal with the minor moods, a pimple here and there, but I have started to spot again.  It didn't happen in May, but it started in June and it's happened again here in July.  It's usually only for one day and it's so light that I don't even need a panty liner, but I didn't know if it was normal for it to be happening.  When I wake up in the morning it is a sticky red, but as the day progresses it is brownish.  I have my yearly appointment with my gyn in 2 weeks and i'll ask about it then.  I just hope it NEVER gets any worse than it is now.
I am 38 and had a supracervical laparoscopic hysterectomy on June 9th 2009. My dr. took my uterus, and left ovary. I had adnomiosis and severe endometriosis on my left ovary(which she didn't know about until she got in there). I had ultrasounds but they didn't show anything like that. My doctor told my husband after the surgery was over she couldn't believe how bad my left ovary looked and that I had to have been in a lot of pain. It was so bad it was attached to my bowel. Looking back It was no wonder I was having so much problems when I would have my period. But to the point, I am very glad I had my surgery, but very  disappointed that so far I have had bleeding twice now at the same time I am supposed to be having my period. This last time I was bleeding I have even had some cramping like I was on my period. I asked my doctor about a few days ago and she said since it still hadn't been that long since my hysterectomy that hopefully it is surgery related. If it is I don't understand because is it just a coincidence that both times I have bled that it just happens to be the same time I'm supposed to have a period? I don't know I am so confused on what to do. Also how many months of bleeding should I go through before I say i've had enough and that it should have stopped by now or will I continue to have the bleeding until I go through menopause? I don't know what to do, does anyone have any suggestions?
I had a partial hysterectomy in Jan. of 09.  I have had fibroid tumors since I was a little girl and I am 35 now.  My doctor removed 19 tumors as well.  My surgery took much longer than expected and I had to recieve a blood transfusion as well.  Early last month, I started feeling bad again.  I felt like I did before my surgery.  I had a lot of side effects from my tumors.  I went back to see my doctor and he ordered and ultra sound.  To no suprise to me, the tumors are back and are placed on my right ovary .  Has anyone ever had them removed and they come back so soon?  I am thinking I should have had a full hyst. done.  I was not told that if I have a partial, it would be a possibility that the tumors would come back.  What is a woman to do?            
I am 45, 2 kids.  Csections in 1999 and 2001.  endo surgery 1989. I had laproscopic partial hysterectomy in June 2007 after 6 years of increasingly horrible periods, clotting and pain - post 2nd c-section.  I discussed partial vs. total with doctor and we agreed to do this to maintain pelvic support, and retain my one remaining ovary (1st one had been removed in a surgery when I was 20 due to endometriosis).  What a joy!  The c section had really screwed up my insides - he said I had adhesions to bowel, bladder and abdominal cavities.  After surgery my bladder troubles ended - I hadn't even reported them!  Much of my numbness post csection came back!  Sexual function was much better!  I had sever adenomyosis and endo still occurring at time of final surgery.  Surgeon did warn of possibility of mild periods after this surgery, but luckily  = nothing so far other than sticky clear goo from time to time = I literally used to have schedule days to stay at home due to bleeding and anemia had made me weak - I will never regret the surgery  - I would also counsel women to try to not have c-=sections - I feel they caused a lot of trouble inside.
I had a total hysterectomy (cervix and uterus removed) in July and I am still bleeding when it is what would have been my period.  Everyone here says you can still get like a period when you still have a cervix but what happens or why when you don't?  I will talk to my gynacologist but I'm interested to hear if this has happened to anyone else.
I had a partial Laproscopic assisted vaginal Hysterectomy on August 31st 2009, I did great with the surgery and healing. I had the surgery due to bleedin two to three weeks out of the month, extreme pain, anemia, pain pills every month, in bed every month!! So the Dr. told me that this was the best option for me??? I am at my third week post surgery. After my surgery had little to nl bleeding just the healing yuck... and now this evening I am worried I am bleeding just as I was the week of my surgery with pain like cramp???? He said no more periods???? Are all these Dr's lying to us women, after reading al this I am freaking out that nothing has changed??? Now what??? I will call my Dr. in the morning but I am so frustrated? I wanted this to be a happy chapter... I had my tubes tied 2-18-09 when I had my last baby and was happy then about it.. until my first period( and 2 and a half years since then) When they did my surgery they found that my right ovary and tube had grown to attach to my uterus, so this was the pain and constant bleeding, so this is where I am at? Now I am praying for some sign that I am still healing? Weird though that this is the week I normally bleed with my period???? Why do they tell you no more periods or bleeding then??? Confused and saddened!!!!!
Hi I had A laparoscopic assissted vaginal hysterectomy november 5th 09, they have removed my cervix and womb, or known as total, i am now 12 days post op, at 10 days after my vaginal stitches came out and i had a small amount of blood, but by late sunday night i flooded with fresh bright red blood, my doctor says its an infection, but today there is also goo!! coming away along with bleeding, i'm worried that something has gone wrong. My GP is going to send me back to the clinic if it doesn't get better. Any ideas why this has happened, i am now starting to get some slight discomfort and cramping.
I have had previous stitches done vaginally but never experianced anything like this.
I am having surgery on Friday 2/5/10, I have read all the comments & I feel a lot better now. I am 29 with 3 kids. I had 3 c sections and non of my births were normal or easy. I have been having fibroids that have been getting worse & pain with sex. Reading that a lot of women have this surgery done for various reasons makes me a little more at ease.
I had a Hysterectomy 8 years ago where they removed my Uterus and Cervix. I still have both of my Ovaries. But I am having major issues with my right ovary where it is covered by Cyst that keeps growing but not bursting. It just leaks. I want to know if I can have it removed? This is been on going since Nov 2009
I had an ablation(fancy new type of D&C) which went bad. My uterus was burned thru in two spots and likewise my small bowel was burned in the same two spots. I ended up with an emergency  sutotal hysterectomy and small bowel repair. It has been 6 weeks and I have started my period. My dr. did warn me that since my cervix was left and the cervical cuff(end of the uterus), I could still have bleeding. She had hoped I wouldnt since the area was cauterized from the ablation. I am totally disappointed. I had the abalation for heavy irregular and lengthy periods, lost my uterus in an unplanned emergency surgery and the only PLUS side was no more periods. I guess I am not alone. If you have the CHOICE, I would give up the cervix with the uterus.
hi, i'm glad that I found this site
well I'm 31 and had my hysterectomy 10 months ago due to pre-eclampsia and placenta previa during my third pregnancy , this was caused by the previous 2 c-sections i've done ,the third was very difficult, needed 8 units of blood and stuck with the catheter for 15 days after op. because part of the placenta was also growing outside the uterus and was attached to the bladder that cause some damage to it, well now  i'm good except with few more pounds that are depressing me a lot, no bleeding till now and my ob-gyn said that I shouldn't have at any time and whenever I see any blood I should call her immediately,so bleeding is not preferable after hysterectomy,I hope to hear from any other woman that had hysterectomy during her c-section to share some details
thanks a lot and hope you all get well and strong soon.
I am 32, I delivered my 2nd child, second c-section in April 2006.  I was given a partial hyst due to internal bleeding, placenta attached to my uterus, "to save my life" the drs said.  I rec'd 34 pints of blood transfused.  My boy was born healthy at 31 weeks, and  I am still bleeding monthly.  My drs say its normal but... I am not so sure.  I could see some spotting here and there, like it was the first year to two... now we are at our 4th year since and 5 days I am bleeding.
I had my uterus removed and my left ovary.  I have my cervix and R ovary.
Normal - just need straight answers.  Due to the major complications of my surgery, I worry that my Drs are not responding to my every need.
I am 52 yrs old, had my uterus removed in July 2007 and still have my period every month because I had a partial hysterectomy.  It starts with red spotting (my egg is bursting) and then I get brownish spotting with fine filaments for a few days.  It seems that the "egg" lodge itself between my cervix and bladder and then my ovum starts to rotten.  My bladder is sore, I have urge to go to the bathroom every 15 min., burning sensation when I urinate, very discomforting pain for the first 5 days and after that it gets very itchy inside my vagina or bladder...I am under the impression that the bladder and cervix start to heal from that ovum that got stuck to their ligaments.  All this process lasts at least 2 weeks... My doctor prescribed some naproxen (anti-inflammation pills)...it works but I am starting to get stomach burns.  I think that my gyn did a bad job fastenning my cervix in order to reduce prolapse.  
i to had a hysterectomy but he only took out my cervix i still have my uterus ovary and fallopian tube what the f...k it was 3years ago would like to have a child with my new hubsand can i get a baby now that i dont have a period
I am 45 yrs old , I had a partial histerectomy in Jan/ 2000. and I was told that I wasn't going to have more periods; but some times I experience a light bleeding, also I have had a few times that black blood. Some times I get frustrated. I asked my Dr and he states that it could be old blood. Even it is or not. I'm happy in a way that I'm not the olny one worry out there.
Hello everyone and I am glad too that I found this site.  I had a partial hysterectomy in May of 2010.  The doctor left my cervix and ovaries and part of my uterus.  I did notice spotting with bright red blood and asked the doctor about it at 6 week check-up.  I was told that this was due to me pulling a stitch or lifting too heavy of objects.  He told me to be careful.  Yesterday, I was at work and experienced bleeding that required a sanitary napkin.  I called the doctor's office and was told that if it didn't stop to call this morning.  The bleeding stopped after 6 hours, but has started again today (not requiring protection).  I have experienced itching and irritation since the surgery, but it is not constant.  I was told that the irritation and itching could happen due to the changes in my body.  The "spotting" of bright red blood was not mentioned to me.  He did say that if I pulled a hernia, he would have to do more surgery later.  As someone else mentioned, I too experience light bleeding after sexual intercourse with some pain during intercourse.  I never had pain before surgery during intercourse.  I would like to thank everyone for their posts.  If I am told anything different I will add the information.
I had a 'partial' hysterectomy - subtotal or supracervical, 4 weeks ago. Before surgery I was told that there was about a 6% chance of having period-like bleeding, reason - the tissues in the cervix can thicken, just like the uterine lining, with your monthly cycle. So this is where the bleeding comes from.
I have not had a hysterectomy of any kind, although I am currently studying the different medical tools and devices for use in various surgeries and I have come across a lot of additional information that I hope may help.  
Firstly, the reasons for leaving the cervix is a.  if it´s not damaged, why remove it?  b.  it can make a difference when you return to sexual activities, less dryness, greater pleasure (as opposed to not having the cervix) etc.  c.  the cervix provides support to the vagina, which, after a hysterectomy, can help to prevent pelvic floor prolapse (a weakening of the muscles which hold your organs in place.  Prolapse is when the organs shift out of place and drop, and in severe cases can even "fall out" of the vaginal opening).  

With regards to the monthly bleeding, coagulation (clotting the blood in the cut area, normally by the application of heat) in the endocervix (cervical canal) is important for this.  In cases where the endocervix was not coagulated, the instance of cyclical bleeding is around 17% after a partial hysterectomy.  With endocervical coagulation, this is reduced to 2.4%.

The devices that your surgeon uses can affect the effectiveness of the surgery (but of course, you would not want your surgeon to use a tool he/she is not familiar or comfortable with - the results could be much worse!).

In reference to the pregnancy stories I read further up, it is possible although highly unlikely (especially since these days when this surgery is performed, surgeons close the "vaginal cuff"- the part which connected to the uterus before surgery.  This is now surgically closed, although in the past many surgeons left it open).  Pregnancy can occur when the egg is fertilized in the falopian tube, as with an ectopic pregnancy.  Apparently, the eggs can also attach themselves to organs.  However, if the vaginal cuff is properly closed and heals and seals correctly, there should be no way for sperm to get through as far as I can see (this last sentence is my assumption, not medical fact).  

I hope this may help to answer some questions you may have.  All the best and good health for now and for the future ladies!
Due to an extremely large uterine fibroid, I had an abdominal, subtotal hysterectomy performed ONE YEAR AGO, keeping my ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix. I was told BEFORE the uterine removal that "spotting" during period following surgery is not uncommon. I still ovulate regularly, and when it is time for my body to "shed", I have a phantom period which ammounts to one or two "wipes" of tinted pink discharge on the first and second days of, what would be, my period days. As I said, my surgery was a year ago, so losening a stitch etc. can be ruled out as a reason. Because this "spotting" is not an actual flow, it's sort of nice to know when I would be having a period, as it justifies breast tenderness, moodiness etc. so I don't relate those symptoms to anything else.
I too had a partial hysterectomy (meaning they took the uterus and left the ovaries & cervix). I was told there was a very rare chance (one in a billion) that I would still get a period every month from the cervix shedding its lining. And wouldn't you know it....I spot lightly every month for 5 days.
hi kelly i also suffered w/ adenomyosis i had a vaginal hysterectomy on friday 2/11/2011 removed everything except ovaries. i was reading every1's blogs i 2 am wondeing where & y am i bleeding? the surprising thing is i was so expecting 2 wake up 2 a cut i never heard of a vag hysterectomy..
I had a partial hysterectomy done over a year ago.  They had done the new procedure Laparoscopy.  This procedure is done robotic, and only leaves four small incisions. Biopsy showed I had fibrosis. There is such a thing as called a Partial Hysterectomy.  This is where they take the uterus and leave your ovaries or w/e.  I only have one ovary left.  U are not suppose to have any periods after a partial or total hysterectomy.  75% of my friends had have the procedure.  I do know on the Laparoscopy healing time is cut by 2 weeks, you are not allowed to lift anything or do hardly anything and recommended if you can rest at least 2 week n not be so motivated.  If I was you I would go get a second opinion and find out what is causing all this.  There are some who have to get a total hysterectomy after a partial do to the body is not able to handle just part of the female organs.  I still have problems time to time of my left ovary throwing fits, but I have had friends tell me in time it will go away.  Any who is having problems with bleeding after a total or partial hysterectomy need to get a second opinion, for it is not common for this to happen. To the lady above who said she has never had the procedure but said there is no such thing as partial needs to do some reading.  The difference is Total hysterectomy they remove every part of your female parts, from cervix, fallopian tubes, ovaries, the uterus the whole nine yards.  Partial hysterectomy is where they take your uterus but do leave some kind of female part like ovaries which are many cases, (this is why its called PARTIAL cse they only take PART of your female parts along with uterus.)  I recommend for any who has to have the procedure done like with my case talk with friends who have had it and talk with your Dr.  If talking with ur friends are similar but the Dr. seems different I would recommend you go get a second opinion.  And always get a Dr. that is well known as to be one of the best, or well known. Cse 90% of the time they are legit Dr. Not saying the others are not, but I wld still check into their reputation.
n a note to add there are Vaginal, Abdominal, Laparoscopy (which is a pretty new procedure).  The Abdominal they make a cut like a c-section, Vaginal well that tells u what it is when its vaginal, and Laproscopy is done by a robotic, which make 4 small incisions (Sometimes 2, depending on what it is being used for), this cuts the procedure down, and also you are able to go home after 24 hrs in the hospital.  The Laparoscopy is a procedure only done to the ones who are able to be a candidate.  Many people have to do the old fashion abdominal and the vaginal.  I had mine done Laparoscopy and u cant even hardly tell where they had taken mine out, u can barely see my incisions u have to look really hard to find them, and too mine was burned out.  
Hello, I am 27 & 3 years ago I was having heavy painful periods and I had precancerous cells on my cervix. They tried freezing an burning them off with no luck. The result was a partial hystorectomy. They removed my whole cervix and uterus leaving both my ovaries and tubes. I have NEVER had a period or bleeding. I dont have PMS, I didnt loose my sex drive (though I think my sex drive has hightened since surgery!), and I dont have a problem getting wet. I see alot of pots with these problems. Hysto was one of the best things ive done (well @ least for my period). I do wish that I could have another baby now and im curious about the transplant that im hearing about!!! May look into a serogate tho... Recently married and he doesnt have any children.
having your period after your uterus is removed is NORMAL if cervix is present. Part of your endometrium maybe present located near cervix causing periods.
I had my uterus removed two weeks ago. Kept both ovaries and my cervix. My doctor stated ahead of time that 8 out of 10 women having this procedure would not get a period anymore (a "period") but the other twenty percent would get a "nano-period" meaning, panty liner status. It's as someone stated, that there are cells in the cervix which are related to the ones in our uterus. They might bleed once a month. I've gotten a period so far (call it what you want, it happens monthly, so it's a "period") and I have my ovaries, so there's a hormonal cycle. It's very very light, but it's normal, in that 20% of women will have it. I hope that clears things up and erases some of the semantics on what we ought to be calling it, or what is happening. And, if women wish to be helpful to other women, please don't think that telling us what we're saying is wrong. For example "No you're NOT having a period." Or, "It is NOT normal." That's not very helpful, it's just....semantics. I was lucky that my doctor was very clear about all of this before my surgery so I knew what to expect, and sharing this information is why we're here.
yes..I am in the same boat..it seems to have gotten worse compared to month 1 and 2.It's 3 months post surgery now...I even have cramps..My partial hysterectomy was not planned..I went in for a myemectomy to remove fibroid but it got complicated and she ended up doing a hysterectomy..I told her about the period and she said about 3% women have it..she said she could give me birth control pills..who wants to take them when I have no uterus..I am so pissed..if I had the time and energy I'd have sued her..she took 8hrs to complete the surgery..
I'm going to be having my uterus removed in a few weeks due to fibriods, years ago i went into the emergency room  because of horrible pain in my left ovary and was told i had mittelschmerz (which was 7 years ago) the doc said it would go away on it's own but never did, now my doctor says the pain is from the fibroids. My question is... if only my uterus is removed and i do have mittelschmerz  will the pain go away? My doctor says after sugery i won't have periods anymore (I bleed really bad for about 8 days every month it's been this way for a couple of years now) but after reading alot of your posts here i'm starting to wonder. The main reason i'm having the surgery is to get rid of the pain that i deal with on almost a daily basis.
I have been debating a partial for some time now.  The conversations with my doctor are getting more seriuos now and I go in for a it down on the 14th.  I'm 33 and don't have any kids...and I'm okay with that decision (as it has been a choice) but I struggle with losing that 'part' of me.  I have read so many horror stories and it has scared the absolute dickens out of me.  Really glad to have found this site.
I have had 4 laporoscopies 98, 99, 01 and 08.  I've had cysts burst, cysts removed, d&c, hyteroscopies, fibroids etc etc. I've had my bladder fused to my colon with endometriosis.  Ligaments cut out due to being so embedded.  I've even done physical therapy due to my pelvic muscles being so tight from the spasms caused by the endo.  I live in constant pain and feel like there is a knife in my side all the time.  I have been on lupron, premarin, depo, every birth control known to man, and god only knows that stuff I can't remember.  Working on 13 years now and I'm just plain tired.  My periods used to last about 9 days, with clots, heavy bleeding and crazy painful cramps.  I know take cryselle (thats the generic name) an take it for 3 months before having a period.  That isn't working anymore and most of the time I can barely get through 1 month without spotting...and it continues for several weeks.  After reading these posts I have been making a list of questions for my doctor.  She is great and specializes in endometriosis.  She has always been a straight shooter with me and tells me even what I don't want to hear.
My mom is going to my appt with me as 2 ears are better then 1.  If anyone can offer any 'MUST ask' questions they would be greatly appreciated.  Real life experiences are a good learning source but I understand that everyone's body is different and will react in its own way. I just want to cover all my bases.
Thank you for sharing your experiences so others can gain insight.
Im 32yrs old & I've been on a period for over 3 weeks, I've been in a lot of pain & have had a lot of cramping, I've had a couple ER visits recently. My OB doctor is thinking it could be endomitriosis   Ive had 3children my youngest is 5. A couple yrs after she was born I started getting really bad periods, I'd bleed real heavy, & super bad cramps. He's recommending a partial hysterectomy. We really wanted to have another child someday, but I just don't know if it's gonna happen. Can anyone who's going through this or has gone through this give me some input?
I am 33 yrs old...my husband and I have three children...after our third child I had my tubes tied....big mistake because of the PAIN during my monthly...I suffered for years!!! Had pain during sex...bad periods...spotting before my periods....nothing but trouble...

Had trouble getting my OBGYN to do anything for me...because of my age...they said I was too young....but pain, and trouble knows no age....I had gone into my regular Dr. and they did yet again ultrasound test and it showed I had not only cyst on my ovaries yet again (had two prior surgeries to remove LARGE cyst) but also found that I had a few fibroids...so she tried me on the BC shot to try to reduce their size....which caused me more trouble....not only was my hormones out of wack but I bleed daily!!! Very heavy never ending periods!

Finally they gave me yet again a referral to the OBGYN and he put me on more BC pills but taking them 3 times a day for 7 days still did not stop my periods....so he did a D&C and tried to do a uterus oblation (ablation) (which he said that the size and shape of my uterus caused the ballon to not work right so no oblation (ablation) was done) but even after that I still had major trouble...

So he finally agreed to do a hysterectomy and I am sooooo glad...because to be with my husband does not hurt anymore....my bladder does not feel like it's going to bust with just a small amount of urine.....and NO more bleeding! Baruch ha'shem Yahuah/bless the name of Abba Yah! I feel so much better now....still have my ovaries but everything else gone!
Hi I have had bleeding on and off since 8 months ago when I had my uterus and cervix removed. the bleeding is bright red and comes and go with scenific doubling over pain. I called my obgyn and he said I have 4 cysts on my ovaries the biggest is 8.5 cm and the smallest 3.5cm. I have had pain on and off since Febuary, but the pain has got progressively worse. I now am back to wearing a panty liner and this is something I never thought I would have to do again.
What causes this ? I am 36 years old !
hey there ladies...I am 2 wks post laparascopic/hysterectomy (uterus only removed) and have had to wear a panty liner every day since the surgery.  I don't  have to change it, but notice mucosy, sometimes red sometimes brownish discharge (new or old blood) when I wipe.  occ'l there is *tissue* in the toilet.  still having some cramps and a little pain at the end of voiding urine.  see my surgeon in a week, so will report back what I find out.  not happy bout this, at all!
3 weeks post hysterectomy (uterus only removed).  the brownish discharge stopped last Thurs..then I started having menstrual cramps, lower back pain, tender/heavy breasts...and then it happened.  I started my period, yesterday...it was due the 7th.  yup, bright red blood, some very small clots. I had to soak my underwear, and my shorts.  I was so upset I cried.  went to bed with a thin maxi pad on.  

saw my surgeon today for post surgery check up.  she said because I still have my cervix it IS possible for me to have **cyclic** bleeding but it should be very minimal and only 1-2 days at the most.  the inner cervix has granular tissue and it has a blood supply...so yes, It Can Cause Bleeding. I have to go back in 3-4 mos.  she said if the bleeding lasts longer than 1-2 days and is heavier I may have to have my cervix removed.  real BUMMER!
Had partial hysterectomy about 9 weeks ago due to a rather large cyst on my uterus which was pressing up against my bladder which was stopping me from going to the toilet.  Long story short spent 10 days in hospital.  At the 6 week checkup I was still feeling pain in the area where the surgery was done (lower abodomen).  I had to have full surgery as the cyst was 11cm in diameter!  Have to go back to the doctor in a few weeks as I still get pain and soreness.  Has anyone else had this problem.  Have not had any symptoms etc of my period (which is great).  Would love to know if anyone else had any other issues regarding pain etc after their procedure.  Not upset that I had it done, as I have 3 children and really don't want anymore.
I am 34 yrs old, I was diagnosed in 97 with endometriosis, in 02 my 2nd lap for endo I was also told I had fibroids removed & my last lap for endo in 07 and thereafter was put on Lupron for 6 months.  I am married & have 3 daughters, I had my tubes tied in 09 after the birth of my last one, however in Jan 11, I started noticing changes in my period very heavy w/lots of clots, major cramps & lasting for 10-12 days. In Mar 11 my OB/GYN diagnosed me w/menorrhagia & put on Lysteda which only helped a bit with the length & cramps.  The pain in between cycles started increasing & the pain w/sex got worst t the point that in April I had to stop having Sex (poor hubby & me!!).  Finally in May the pain came & since then it HAS NOT GONE AWAY!!!! THE PAIN HAS REMAINED SINCE THEN! I am in a constant level of a 5 out of 10 24/7.  My OB/GYN thought it was cancer & I freaked since I had pre-cancer cells when I was 19, but fortunately the biopsy came back negative. I was put on Lupron again in Jul 11 & up to now it has not helped.  He told me the last options was a "total hysterectomy" (everything out).  Obviously I freacked because I do not want to be put on hormones at 34.  I went to see a 2nd opinion Female dr. who has 30+ yrs of experience & she told me that she does agree w/hysterectomy but only "partial" she would leave the ovaries. My husband who is anti-surgery has asked me to try alternative medicine such as accupucture which has not helped.  Sometimes my pain level is so severe I can't function, I have been unable to drive since May, my pain comes & goes from a 5-8.  I've tried Vicodin, Tylenol 3, Ponstel, Percoset, Motrin 800, Morfin (at ER), & Demoral (only thing that slightly helped once).  I am now after 5 months of debilitating pain am considering the surgery, but I am freaking out after reading all these coments.  I do not know if the tubes or cervix will be left, obviously a question I will be asking my 2ns opinion OB/GYN.  Has anyone experienced anything like me before, in which the pain has not gone away?  To make matters worst, I still bleed with the Lupron now & I am not suppose to have a "period". Has anyone's endometriosis come back???  Please help... I am calling my OB/GYN to schedule the surgery, I can't keep on like this!!
Thank you for the information!! I go in tomorrow for my subtotal hysterectomy and I looking forward to living period free!!
I had something very similar. Except what I had was the (adnemiosis ??)endometriosis was grown inside the muscle of my uterus which cause excruciating pain. I suffered with it for about a year. It took that long for the dr to diagnose me. I was first told by the er dr that it was diverticulitus. Further testing with other er visits said otherwise. I had my partial laproscopic hyster. in Oct. 2009. I still do get a mini period though which I really don't mind because the pain I had in the past is not present. I was told by the dr. however that this could happen . So when it did I wasn't to surprised. My advice to you is to speak to your husband about it. I'm sure he doesn't like to see you suffering. If it is interfearing in caring for your family I encourage you to get the partial hysterectomy. You can't take care of them if you are not well.Sexual activity will not be interfeared with the partial. If it was even a problem I would have Never even considered it !! Praying that the lord give you wisom in all this. God Bless ~ Cristina
I had a partial hysterctomy in Jan 2011, due to heavy bleeding, and fibroid cysts. My uterus only was removed, both ovaries, tubes, and cervix remained. I was 41 yrs old at the time, my surgery went horribly wrong, but that is another story for another day. After fully recovering from the complications of the surgery, I do have very light monthly cyclical bleeding, which I do recall my Dr. telling me "might" happen, before she perfomed my surgery. (Sorry so many of you ladies had Drs. who neglected to mention this altogether.) Every month, like clockwork, I get my little reminder that I am still a woman. I agree with many of you, and sometimes I am bummed about it, especially after everything I went through after my surgery. I only hope it does not get worse, and it is SOOO much lighter than prior to my surgery. Before surgery I would bleed for 10-14 days, and 4-5 of those days would be heavy. I was severely anemic, and I ruined dozens of panties, jeans, shorts, and even mattresses! (Despite always being prepared with dozens of super plus tampons, and the heavies pads they make!) My period held me prisoner, literally. I could not travel, or go anywhere without it ruining my time. Now, I bleed right on schedule, every 28 or so days but now it only lasts 2-3 days, and only requires a panty liner. I can get away with not even changing it but once or twice a day. Before surgery, I would bleed through a super+tampon AND a pad within an hour! So I guess I am counting my blessings hope eventually it will just stop altogether (which my Dr. suggests it will) rather than get worse. So far, in eight months, it has pretty much stayed the same, on time, but really light...I do feel free from the curse of such a horrible heavy period! At least now I can leave my house without a suitcase full of feminine hygiene products! Crossing fingers and toes as I finish typing. Hang in there ladies!
Hi Cristina,
Thank you for answering my question, I greatly appreciate it.  Since then I have scheduled surgery which will be this Wed, the 5th of Oct.  She is only keeping the ovaries because of my family history of heart disease & osteoporosis (as long as they are not diseased).  Therefore, she will remove the tubes & uterus including the cervix bcuz she doesn't want to take chances of the endo growing back due to the 'stump' of the uterus left if cervix remains.  My husband has know come to realize & understand that I have tried everything & my dr told him that I knew my disease well & knew my options, and that at the stage I was in it was the best decision. I have faith in my new GYN besides the fact that she is suppose to be the best in UM/JMH. She did advise tho' that she can not promise I will be pain free that a small % of women even after surgery do stay ith some degree of pain, however not to where am at today.  I think I can live with that if I end up being one of the small % that stay w/pain. (I am praying I don't tho'). I have been bed ridden for past 2 days barely able to walk so I can't wait or Wed!  Thanks for answering again & hope like you I can start enjoying sex again :)
Xoxo Natalia
i have had a partial hysterectomy in may 2010 8 weeks after having the op i had "mini periods" after months of bugging my docs for answers they finally sent me for a scan to my horror only to find out that aswell as my ovaries and part of my tubes and cervix they also left part of my womb behind aswell has this happened to anyone else

i am also on a mini pill for my periods have you ever heard anything like it having a hysterectomy and still on the pill any info is brill
Hello my fellow readers! i was just looking to see if there is anyone with the same problems as I have. I have had my overies and tubes out and I bleed for 2months  every so often. I still have my uterus and cervix in. can someone relate? thank you.
what if its been over 3 years and you bleed every month is that normal?
I don't know what your doctor told but yes there is such a thing called a partial hysterectomy because i had that surgery done last summer he only took out my right ovary and the tubes and i also had an ablation when they burn your uterus so i either will never have a period or they will be very light and i don't have periods anymore. My doctor specifically called it a partial hysterectomy and when i have gone to the er for other reasons they ask what surgeries I've had and i told them a partial hysterectomy and they ask if he just took out my ovaries and tubed and i said yes and not one has corrected me and said there is no such thing.
Look ,I was 35 yrs old when I had my hysterectomy, they removed my uterus only. My ovaries and tubes were fine. I had a hanging myoma and endometriosis, which caused a lot of painful periods, sometimes 2 monthly periods, I shedded lots of blood clots about the size of  a chicken liver.I've never had a period since and I feel great.YES  there are months that my breast are sore but not every month. By the way my surgery was done vaginally, so no scares either. the DR. told me I could have sex 3 months later, and I enjoy every bit of it just like before  my surgery. GOOD LUCK. oh and I'm 54 yrs old now.        arkansas88
Hi I am 27 years old and had my uterus removed 4 months ago. I have been bleeding on and off since then. I am very annoyed about the hole thing i didn't know that taking it out i would still bleed. I had mine removed to do non stop bleeding after my youngest baby. I have been asking the doctor but i don't see any answers of to why it is happening. I am very frustrated i went through crap having it out to just see me bleeding all the time do i need to seek a different GYN or try getting answers from the same doctor? any suggestions would help
I went yesterday to see my registrar and consultant and they both warned me having had 2 C Sections that my bladder may have become attached to the uterus wall so whilst having my TAH BSO there is a chance they will have to leave the cervix and then still have light bleeding each month
So i will be going through all that after having put up with endo bleeding all the time for nothing so im hoping it is light and yes it is true you do have a light period i was told this yesterday by the top dog!!!
This might but late but maybe someone might read it. Need to know the info.

@ 48, looking forward to a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) I had a partial one in 1999 age 37. Due to an ectopic pregnancy is an abnormal pregnancy that occurs outside the womb (uterus). The baby (fetus) cannot survive, and often does not develop at all in this type of pregnancy.
I was told I would unlikely bear or have children......GUESSWHAT
There is hope and YES you can bear children, I did two beautiful boy and girl, at 40 and 43. BLESSINGS TO ALL. I hope someone finds joy and comfort hearing my story. Mommy Peck.
I had a partial in October of 2003. No periods since. If I were on here asking than in all possibility there are questions that need asking and answering. And you're here because you don't feel as though you are comfortable with what your doctor is telling you. So go with your gut feeling and seek more answers by getting other Doctors opinions and esperiance and knowledge. But as I said I haven't menstrated at all since my partial.
Hi, I had my uterus removed in 2007,  have had bleeding,  pain, too many symptoms to name! Just saw a new Dr last week and he has confirmed that part of my uterus was left? I am now going in to have this surgery and they are concerned that cancer may have developed as well. What did you do. Were you able to get a settlement out of it since the surgery wasn't done right?
I had my right ovary n tube removed years ago through an ectopic pregnancey, then had left ovary and tube removed this year (may 2011) due to a cyst. so im still left with cervix, and i was told it was possible i would still have periods, and damn it i still do.  But this month not as yet , fingers crossed.
I also had hysterctomy when I was 24 laprascopically to remove my uterus only from severe endometriosis, I went through 7yrs of severe life altering pain from this and 3 different doctors due to my young age and no children which I didnt want anyway but no doctor wanted to do the surgery even after I tried evry therapy that didnt work I even tried depo lupron which makes u go into menapause to stop the spread of endometrial tissue and the side affects made me nuts so needless to say I know alot about your situation and about a year and half after my uterus was removed I had very light spotting mostly after intercourse and was shocked since I had no uterus I shouldnt be bleeding, my doctor said somehow a small amount of endometrial tissue was left in my vaginal canal and was causing the bleeding it was from the endometriosis spreading the tissue throughout my abdominal cavity it was just missed in my prior 2surgeries so he put some silver nitrate on the tissue which chemically destroys the tissue and is done in the dr office although was little painful was like severe cramping it was done in about a day u discharge the silver and it was gone ive never had bleeding again that was 6yrs ago and I still have my cervix and ovaries I just get breast swelling and tenderness. So u should have your dr. check into that if u possibly just have some endometrial tissue that was missed, I had so much it took my dr. 5hrs to cotterize it all it ataches to anything it was even on my colon, intestines, my 1 ovary was attached to my abdominal muscle from scar tissue which caused severe pain during intercourse for years until surgery when I was diagnosed with it that was after 4yrs of not wanting to have intercourse at all because it felt like my ovary was being pulled out. So sorry for the long story but I just want my experience to help a young girl with same problems from going thru 7yrs of torture because of not knowing whats wrong and a few idiot docs that said nothing is wrong that's all normal and that was the female doc a male doc was finally one to recognize I had no kind of life with pain I was in but this was before it was a widely diagnosed condition and wasnt as prominant as it is now just make sure to take it in your hands and find a doc to take care of it, u know if something is wrong with your body don't let anyone tell u your fine if u know you're not if I wouldve gave up after 1 or 2 docs I would still be miserable
I had a partial hysterectomy in April of 2009. I  have 3 children but my husband only has one. I would love to give him a child and he wants one, but the only way that can be possible is if they extract eggs from my ovary and we get a surrogate. Its depressing to me because I so want to have another child. I think about it all the time and wish I had just waited a little while longer before having the surgery. I was experiencing heavy, heavy periods, with pain that was unbearable. On  top of that I had fibroids and it would hurt when I had sex. I have my regrets because I love my husband so much and want to have a child with him. But I guess we have to go another route because I sure can't carry a child..............but I wish I could.
Well none of this is very positive is it!  I am due to have a hysterectomy in 2 weeks time but think I will re-visit my Doctor before I go ahead as reading this has left me with alot more questions.  Why have so many people kept their cervix? I have been told that it has no bearing on sex at all and if it may cause bleeding it might be best to have it removed as it serves no purpose?
I had partial done 15 yrs ago and have had no problems. to-nite I go to the restroom and I am bleeding like I started my period,,,what is going on. I could not pee it burned so bad. called the doctor and he said I have a possible UTI but he did not understand the bleeding,... have to go see him tomorrow.. this is so weird never bleed before and its been 15 yrs? help if this happened to you?
I saw my Dr today for my preop appointment. I will be having a hysterectomy done on Feb 15th. I asked him if I, besides my uterus, was having my cervix out and he responded yes. I asked him why and he says that when he does a hysterectomy he 99% of the time also takes out the cervix. He says its better result. No bleeding, No pap smears and no possible cervical cancer in the future. He said he would only leave a cervix in place if the patient requests it. He said there are more complications if you leave it vs if you take it out there is none. Its a no brainer. I asked him if it was possible to bleed after your cervix was out and he said no. your vaginal canal will be closed, if there is bleeding then something else is causing it and there would be reason to be concerned. I was releaved because honestly after reading all the comments, I was ready to not have it done if he was not taking out cervix. I seriously dont understand why they leave it and neither does my dr.
I would say to all that are bleeding that do not have a cervix, you need to go back to the dr. even if you have to get a second oppinion and find out where is the bleeding coming from. Its that important. Wish me luck on Feb 15th!!!
I hope all went well for your surgery. My doctor explained to me that she usually opts to leave the cervix for support... so your bladder does not have a chance it will "fall".  My grandmother actually had her bladder fall out, and she could see it poking out of her vaginal track! Many women who have bore children have this problem in the later years.  That is the only reason I have heard why a doctor would opt to keep the cervix.  The cervix lends support to help support the entire area once your uterus is removed.  
I had a partial hysterectomy 23 years ago and am having symptoms of being pregnant. Not sure what's going on. I only have one ovary and my cervics, I do not have a period and haven't since the operation. My stomach is swelling way too much, I am a smaller styled woman, my breasts have been hurting to the touch. I have 5 stepsons and 1 is two all women know how that goes and its hard to handle sometimes. I wake up getting sick, like morning sickness and all. Not really sure what to think, need a little advice please. Anybody!
Hi, I had a partial last week!  Whomever said "40 is the new 30", lied!  I have had 2 c-sections and lived period free when on the pill.  I decided for my 35 birthday to have the new tubal procedure (essure plugs) since it was a vaginal procedure that require any cutting.

Things were great until I turned 40 last year.  I went from no periods to unpredictable and excruciating periods overnight.  I am in the military so I run a lot. Then came the bladder problem which was annoying and embarrassing.  My GYN suggested a laporoscopy to remove the scar tissue caused by the c-sections.  Again, no cutting required.  Worked great for about 3 months, then downhill from there.

Long story short, tomorrow will mark my first week since the surgery.  No bleeding, very little pain but the night sweats, OMG.....believe me, after finding this site and reading the comments, I have no complaint UNLESS....the bleeding returns....got my fingers crossed!
excuse me but what are you an expert/ and just because your dr said does not make him or her right. i had my cervix and uterus removed 24 years ago and have my overies still and your wrong i have gottn pregnant even though it may have been a tubal non the less i have still gottn pregnant. ladies if your not gettn the answrs u need from ur ob or other doctor concider seeing a nurse practitioner they have more book training than drs do

Think your wrong about it being just the stitches bleeding. I had my partical hystrectomy Dec 2011 and am now having regular as clockwork bleeds, my Dr stated that this should not happen with a sub total as with a full removal, and has referred me back to my Gyni. It is rare but it can happen, and normally  means that the cervix which has a stub of the uterus still attached will need removing.
Thank You Donna for your information! The internet and some of these posts just freaked me the heck out! I am 2 weeks post op from my hysterectomy and the Dr only took my Uterus... I was just reading this stuff thinking OMG  OMG  OMG! ... I had a Tubal Ligation and Endometrial Ablation in 2009 which stopped my periods altogether. Then July 6 2012 I had my uterus removed due to what my Dr said was some sort of pouches swelling and causing nearly unbearable uterine pain. I was just freaked out and when I saw your post.. I had to sit and think about it.. ugh...LOL... thanks again...
I had a partial hysterectomy back in 2010 and after the surgery i started to notice that twice a month i had bleeding.. It has been this way since.. Im going back into surgery next month to have another hysterectomy this time taken out my cervix.. My doc hasnt been able to explain the reason why this is happening and says this is the first time that he has seen this in his 30+ years of practice.

So your not the only one out there that this is happening to.. Hope you get answers soon..
I am 38 years old and have had sever issues my entire life since the age of 12 when I nearly bleed to death due to a period.... Yes a period.... I have had polycycist  ovarian disease and endometriosis for as long as I can remember my periods would last for 3 weeks at a time.... When I was 18 years they told me I would never have children and in viced me that I should have a complete hysterectomy.... well I refused I did have 2 children one of which I nearly lost at 5 months... Nevertheless after many years of suffering I did have my surgery they took the uterus and one ovary on Feb 13 2012 I have had a period every single month and everything that comes with it Pain, acne, breast tenderness, bloating, mood swings, PMS!!! The works!!! I think that I may have to have another surgery which I am not looking forward to... So you are not alone and either am I apparently... I thought I was....
Types of hysterectomy:

Partial, subtotal, or supracervical (soo-pruh-SER-vi-kuhl) - removes just the upper part of the uterus. The cervix is left in place.  
    Total - removes the whole uterus and the cervix.
    Radical - removes the whole uterus, the tissue on both sides of the cervix, and the upper part of the vagina. This is done mostly when there is cancer present.

From www.womenshealth.gov

Get your facts straight!
I am currently recovering from a partial hysterectomy.  The plan was to do a total hysterectomy but because of adhesions from a previous vertical c section, they were not able to separate my bladder from my cervix.  Because of this,  they had to leave the cervix and part of the uterus behind.  I was told my cervix might still respond to my ovaries and I may have bleeding.

Not the result I wanted but there was nothing that could be done.  I did suffer an injury to my bladder during the procedure when they were trying to separate it from my cervix and I came home with a Foley catheter that I had to leave in for a week.  That has since been removed and I am doing well.  

I hope this information helps..

Tina
A very close friend of mine is scheduled to undergo a hysterectomy to treat endometrial cancer very soon, so I have been doing research on that topic. I stumbled onto this conversation, and was interested in sharing my experience.

I had a partial (or subtotal) hysterectomy 14 years ago, at the age of 38. Since I was 12 years old, I had severely painful periods (“dysmenorrhea”), a very heavy flow, periods that sometimes lasted as long as ten days and were never regular. In other words, my life was a living hell. Like a fool, I went to the same sadistic OB-GYN for nearly ten years; every year, I repeated my complaints about the pain and so on, and every year, he told me that it was probably endometriosis, which could only be definitively diagnosed with surgery. So take more pain meds, stay on the Pill, and suffer through it.

After my husband and I moved to another city for a job change, I saw a new doctor. After I explained my severe problems, he wasted no time ordering a vaginal ultrasound; very simple and low cost. It revealed that I had severe fibroid tumors. The doc said they had probably been there for at least ten years, growing continually, fueled by the estrogen in my body. The largest was the size of a softball, and there were so many that my uterus had ballooned to the size of a 4-month pregnancy; I actually had stretchmarks!

There were not many choices in 1998: (1) medications to put me in menopause, stopping the production of the estrogen that was causing the fibroids to grow; (2) D&C to literally scrape them out of my uterus, which would preserve fertility, but they would eventually start to grow back; or (3) hysterectomy. My husband was 15 years older than I, and we had no plans to ever have children, so after 26 years of a living hell, the choice was an easy one for me. I told my doc to rip out the plumbing, as soon as possible. I even tried to talk him into taking out my ovaries as well, so that I wouldn’t have to worry about ovarian cancer, which scared me, and still does. He said unless he saw problems with them when he did the surgery, he wouldn’t do that; I was too young. He also said that he would leave my cervix, since it helps support the other structures in the pelvic area, especially the bladder.

I got the diagnosis in July, and had the surgery in late September, two days after my 38th birthday. I have always said it was the best birthday present I ever got. But those last two months were really scary; the Pill wasn’t really doing its job of regulating my periods any more, and I was bleeding almost non-stop. During that time, I read a story about a woman who bled to death as a result of severe fibroid tumors. That news about did me in; I couldn’t wait to go to the hospital!

Here’s another little statistic I learned: 50% of women over the age of 35 suffer from fibroids to a degree. I am only one person, but I am here to tell you: that hysterectomy was the best thing that ever happened to me. It may even have saved my life, thinking about the woman who bled to death. I was in the hospital for three days, off work for two weeks; I did everything I was supposed to according to the recovery instructions, so I had no adhesions or other complications. I healed beautifully; still have a six-inch scar but who cares? I threw away the Pill, the pain meds and the tampons and pads, and any regrets I may have had about fertility. And frankly, considering how messed up my uterus was, I seriously doubt that I would have been able to conceive, and if I had, I can’t imagine how there would have been room for a baby to develop normally. Of course, I had no way of knowing in 1998 that I would be widowed three years later, or that two years after that, I would marry my childhood sweetheart, who gave up his chance to have children when he married me. But even so, as a couple, we have no regrets; he told me he would rather have me than kids (his first wife was a real piece of work).

So I still have my ovaries, Fallopian tubes and cervix. For several years after the surgery, I still had pain when I ovulated—talk about adding insult to injury. As if the severe pain once a month wasn’t bad enough, I also had pain with ovulation, what my mother, whose ancestry was German, called “Mittelschmerz” or “middle pain,” referring to pain in the middle of the menstrual cycle. My doc told me that eventually I would probably stop ovulating, since we had essentially short-circuited everything, and I guess that was true, because even that pain eventually stopped too.

I have never once had any kind of bleeding or other discharge. At all. Never. Not in 14 years. No uterus, no endometrium, no buildup to be discharged when there is no conception. In my opinion,based on everything I know about the female reproductive system, if you have had a hysterectomy of any kind, and you are experiencing bleeding or other discharge, it is NOT normal, and you should get yourself to the doc IMMEDIATELY. Do not waste time looking for answers on health websites from armchair physicians; the only way to know for sure what is going on is to get to the doc so the necessary diagnostic tests can be performed to get a diagnosis. Be polite but firm with your doc; if he or she balks at ordering a test, go to another doc. Don’t be like I was, and assume that one doc has the only answers. I suffered needlessly for ten years longer than I needed to, thanks to that sadistic doctor. It’s your body and your right to get the answers you need.

Interestingly, now that I am 52, with no uterus, whether or not I am actually “in menopause” is sort of a guessing game. Each year when I see my GYN (a gal that I love), she asks me how I’m feeling; last year was awful; I was hot all the time, but not hot, if you get what I mean. She prescribed Estratest for me, and I took it for six months. It made me break out like when I was 16; told her I’m not going through puberty again, so I quit it. Found an over-the-counter remedy that has all the stuff you hear about on TV—one formulation for the day time, and another for night—and it’s working well. Showed it to my doc at my last visit, and she was very impressed with it.

The only other issue I have had since my hysterectomy is that my bladder muscles aren’t as strong as they used to be (age contributes to that too). I just have to make sure I don’t wait too long to go, and I do occasionally slap on a light days pad. Kegel exercises would probably help with this; I’m just lazy.

I have also heard that lack of a uterus has a negative effect on sexual activity—lack of sensation, etc. I have never noticed any such thing; if anything, sexual activity improved for me—no more periods, no more pain, so I felt better about myself in general. That can only be a good thing; at least it has been for me.

That’s my story, for what it’s worth. If it is helpful to anyone else who reads it, I’m glad. If you think it’s bunk, as I said at the beginning, I’m only one person. I don’t pretend to speak for everyone, or to be any kind of an expert.
I had a UTI 26 years ago that was so severe, I had blood in my urine. I remember it well, because I was sitting for the CPA exam in excruciating pain. I turned in my completed exam, left the exam site, and went right to the ER. Passed the exam too!
I'm wondering if you are still having the same symptoms still. I had my hysterectomy almost 4 years ago and had my cervix removed too and 2 years ago I started having a "fake period" and had another surgery last year only to have my "fake period" return and I'm scheduled for surgery #3 in a few months.

It's frustrating to hear the doctor say... wow, I've never had this happen before or I've never heard of this happening before.
Viewing 1-200 comments: