Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

How Long Does The Withdrawls/Pain Last

Hi everybody!
I have been taking Tylenol 3s for I think about 8 years now.  I used to take over 100 a day and I have been able to bring that down to about 49 or so, depending on how bad a day I am having.  I take 7 at a time, and try to keep it to no more than 7 times a day (7 tylenols at a time 7 times a day)  I originally started taking them because of this surgery I had on my mouth, and during the surgery, they nicked a nerve, so I am in pain 24/7.  The degree of pain every day is different, but I am always in pain.  I did get a 2nd and a 3rd opinion, and I was told by all 3 that the only way to fix this would be to have brain surgery!  And even then there is no guarantee the pain will stop.  I also have chronic pain in my back and my joints due to 3 car accidents I had in 2007 as well as having rumetoid arthritis (Not sure how to spell that).  I have tried one time quitting, and the pain and the withdrawls were just a little too much for me to handle, but I am not a believer in programs as I have gone trough many for alcohol addiction and ended up quitting on my own.  I have not had a drink since March 11th, 1999.  This howeve is a whole new type of pain for me and as much as I would love to be free of tylenol 3s, I just don't know if I can do it.
So, my question is, has anybody out there gone cold turkey and exactly how long and what are the withdrawls?  Is there an easier way of getting off of them?  I realize from being an alcoholic and drug addict that nothing comes easy. but am I going to be in worst pain then I am in now?  I take the 3s to take some of the pain away, I do not take them to get high.
Thanks for listening!
"secretsout"
Good to hear you've cut the daily dose in half.  BUT...that's a lot of Tylenol.  Very,very bad for your liver.  It's also about 1500mg of codeine per day,as well.  I'm sad to say,you'll have a tough withdrawal.  In my opinion,you need to keep tapering down and then stop.  There are some meds that can help with withdrawals.  You need to call the prescibing doctor and make him/her aware of your plan and ask for some help. Also,read the health pages esp. The Thomas Recipe and "home detox". Arm yourself with information.   The good news is that once you've detoxed from all that codeine,you'll find your pain has decreased and can be managed quite nicely with otcs.

Good luck to you and keep posting~~

Vicki
Were you aware of the amounts of tylenol you were putting in your body at one time not only 1 time a day but 7 times in a day? Please do not feel like I am judging you for the way you took your DOC cause I am in no position to be the judge of anybody when drugs are involved. Hell I needed to judge myself for years but would lie and smile and say NO i am not an Addict and No I am not out of control and Yes I can stop taking them if I don't need them anymore. When in fact I never needed them to begin with!!!! I am almost 27 and have been losing this fight with my addiction since I was 13 & 14. My eyes are open now and I see what kind of person they have made me and that is so far from the person I was. Scary site to look in the mirror and think who the hell is that looking back at me? I can look at a mirror now and have a few choice words to say to that addict I see. Good that you don't take them to get high.  And Congrats on being Alcohol free for so long! So really our stories of why we take them are nowheres close to being almost the same. I take them to get as high as I can and when that don't work I will take more and more to find that high. But withdrawls no matter if you stuck to how the Dr told you to take them and NEVER abused them you are still addicted to them just like I am. CT was NEVER an option for me cause I let it get so far out of control that the only way I thought I would truly be free from the pills is to end all the suffering I felt all the pain I caused love ones  so I didnt have to fight what for so many years was a losing battle I went into with my hands tied behind my back. Wishing you all the luck in the world for a successful CT if that is the route you chose to take!!! Head up  keep me posted

Krissy
If I am not mistaken, Congrats! are in order?  I have told many doctors the amount I take and they basically do nothing or offer me something ever worse like moriphine!  My mother died from taking drugs in 2006 and I do not want to go the same way.  So, your saying I should just keep taking less and eventually take none?  Will I feel crappy while doing that?  Not that it really matters, I have not went a day in my life (since being addicted and a drunk at 13) without feeling some degree of crappy!  Thanks for your help!  I will see what I can do and yes, I will keep you posted!  I appreciate you taking the time out!

have you looked at any information about suboxone
Actually, when I first started taking them it was to get rid of the pain in my mouth, as time went on, the pain wouldn't go away, so I started taking 2 at a time, then 3, eventually ending up at 7.  I have been taking 7 at a time now, because if I don't I feel like crap! I think I take them more now, to keep away the pain of not taking them.  Make sense?  As I said in my original post, I honestly do not take them to get high, in fact if I wanted a stronger prescription, I could get it, I just don't want to be in pain anymore.  
When I drank, I drank so I didn't have to think about my past and the abuse, ****** childhood, rapes, blah blah blah!  I could go on with the emotional pain I was and still can be in, but that is not why I take 3s.  In fact I know from trying to quit the first time (and only time) that the pain I am in now is NOTHING compared to the pain I will have to go through in order to get off of them.  And I had gotten to the 4th day that time.  OMG!  I wanted to die!  And I know you are not trying to judge me, and I appreciate that, I also hope you are able to look in that mirror one day (sooner than later) and see the you, you used to be and still are!  Thanks for your input!  I really do appreciate any I can get!
Hi!  No I have not looked at that, what is it and how does it work?  Is there information on this site?  Or can you give me a short description as to what it entails?  I appreciate your help!  Thanks!