Vicodin Addiction/Physician Over Prescribing

I would like to here from anyone who has become addicted to Vicodin as a result of a physicians inability to recognize the addictive nature of this drug and as a result over prescribing it for perceived pain in the pelvic region.

In addition, any nurses currently working in a hospital environment who recieve "professional courtesy" from coworkers issueing prescriptions for vicodin, please let me know.

One Dr. at a wll know hospital in NY was issueing my wife 2-3 prescriptions a month  over a two year period following  surgical procedure after her primary physician refused to give her any additional pain medication. The addiction accelerated to the point where he was issueing her 400-500 pills a month over a two year period.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Robert, I sympathize with your desire to expose this hospital and its doctor.  However, when shows like 20-20 jump on the bandwagon, legitimate pain sufferers are the ones that, well, suffer.  Good doctors hesitate even more to prescribe medicines that work for those with arthiritis and other constant pain.  Please think carefully about what you are doing.  One bad doctor does not mean all doctors and hospitals should panic over prescribing.  Not being an addict yourself, or in pain, you do not realize what having a sympathetic doctor who prescribes in MODERATION means to us.  Just a small plea.  Thanks for listening.
Helpful - 0
Well, I feel like a mother bear defending her cubs here but I feel this is a very informative and helpful website. Each person has a distinct personality, and that's life, you'll find that on any addiction website. I've since white knuckled it so I haven't posted here lately, but the times I did, I received help, IN SPADES AND DOUBLE! I still come to this site every day, and look forward to reading posts from the newcomer on up to the "regulars." You all know who you are. Please don't let this site fall down the flusher, OK??
Helpful - 0
Beanie, I have not heard from you lately, hope you are doing O.K.  I know this board can get to you sometimes but I still come here every day. I'm usually afraid to post much, quess I'm chicken I'll get reamed out.  God I hope that word is spelled right.  Anyway, if you need a friend to talk to, feel free to e-mail me at ***@****  Joan C
Helpful - 0
I am telling you this is a wonderful site. Registration is easy and the people are mostly terrfic. They have all kinds of forums including Addiction and Chronic Pain to name a few.

It is moderated and any bad people are quickly banned from the site.

< href=http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=2&SUBMIT=Go>http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=2&SUBMIT=Go</a>

See you there. My name is ronnieg over there.
Helpful - 0
<a href=http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=2&SUBMIT=Go>http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=2&SUBMIT=Go</a>
Helpful - 0
wow!! I thought this site was dysfunctional.  that one is even worse, between some ryker guy and tiffany.  People are People.  lets not give up on this one yet.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community