Allergy Community

thyroid and/or allergy?

I have been sick for 5 years (immediately following a total hysterectomy and hypercritical year in '05).  Initially my symptoms started with itching of my upper arms (from shoulder to elbow), migraine and neck and upper back pain/spasms.  2 years ago a whole new set of symptoms emerged, in my mouth with burning, swelling of tongue and tissues of my cheeks/lips and sores on roof of mouth and under my tongue.  Included in the symptoms is sore throat and dry mouth.  Last year my lip was biopsied for autoimmune (mother died of sarcoidosis...other autoimmune disorders run in family).  The results showed "suggestive of sjogren's" but I've seen 3 rheumatologists and there is doubt in that diagnosis.  Allergies keep coming up in conversations, but I have over these many years experimented with eliminating gluten and dairy from my diet and watching for reactions with certain foods and there is no obvious correlation. There seems to be a lack of trust in the allergy blood work's reliability among the doctors I've discussed this with, as well as the  consensus that a food allergy would be more general than those centralized around my mouth, throat and face.  What seems vague but somewhat thematic is the worst reactions often seem to happen around the time I am taking my thyroid meds.  I have been on thyroid supplementation for almost 20 years, starting with synthroid and moving to armour thyroid for about 15 years of the time.  But since all of this has occurred I have tried various types of thyroid medications...often times in the switch, the itching returns but subsides (perhaps as levels balance?)...Currently I am taking a compounded form of synthetic thyroid (55mcg of T4/12.5 mcg T3 in a.m. and 55 mcg of T4 in afternoon) and the compounding pharmacist says there is nothing allergenic in the formula itself.  Is it possible that my thyroid gland itself is causing these symptoms?  There are 2 nodules that we have been "watching" for the past 2 1/2 years...and I wonder if the function or dysfunction of the gland itself would cause these symptoms.  I am pretty well spent after many, many appointments with specialists I am no closer to answers than I was 5 years ago.  Any feedback or input you might have would be greatly appreciated.

I am CoCL on the Thyroid Community and a mom to two extremely allergic kids who carry epi-pens so I can relate to your story and your frustration.  We've seen many on the thryoid community who are actually allergic to some of the inert ingredients of thyroid meds .. maybe repost there, too to see if anybody can shed some light to help you bring info to your doctor, etc.

I hope you get an answer and can feel better soon,

C~
Synthroid 75mcgs
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.