Anxiety Community
23k Members

Anxiety or TIA?

Hello. Allow me to preface this by saying that I am a 19-year-old male, weigh around 120 pounds, have normal blood pressure, and have not been informed of any problems with my heart or cholesterol. My family also has no history of neurological disorders.
For the past week, I've been experiencing some chest pain. Yesterday, I went to see my doctor and he informed me that I have a respiratory tract infection which is making me asthmatic and causing sinus inflammation. He prescribed to me QVAR for long-term help and Albuterol for emergencies, as well as a nasal spray for my sinuses.
Anyways, I've also been having sleeping problems for the past few days. I was up at around 5:00 this morning masturbating in an attempt to put myself to sleep when I suddenly noticed intense numbness in my right arm and leg. Being a hypochondriac, I looked up my symptoms on Google and saw that Stroke and TIA were the main possible causes. However, the only symptom I had was the numbness; I had no trouble speaking, walking, or understanding what others were saying, and the only headache I had was the same sinus headache I'd had for hours. The numbness faded after around 10 minutes, and I took a sleeping supplement and went to bed around an hour later.
When I woke up around 5 hours later, however, my right calf was stiff and my arm felt kind of strange, as if it were a bit more sluggish than usual. They both feel better now, but they're not at 100 percent.
My question is, can this have been caused by asthma/anxiety, or should I be worried about having a stroke sometime soon?
Thank you in advance.
I would mostly rule out anxiety, but you can discuss this at length with you general physician. Too many symptoms of anxiety are not present.

I do not have allergies, but my hyperthyroidism has destroyed most of my sinuses over the past 54 years. I will occassionally have trouble breathing when I get in certain positions sleeping, and it will wake me up.

Numbness can be anything from a mild pinched nerve to full blown heart disease. Neurological disorders are not considered to be hereditary, and can arise years after an accident or trauma.

Let me suggest since the asthma is a true and accurate diagnosis that you schedule a full physical, with blood work and a chest x-ray so that you can get some confidence that you are not a stroke candidate, and these tests may reveal other issues that have not been addressed, or that your asthmatic condition needs additional treatment and medication.

Hope this helps. Best in Health
ThyroidHunter