Anxiety Community
23k Members

Panic attack while driving

I had a panic attack while driving about 2 months ago. I have been dissassociating for about a year due to some extreme stress in my life (sexual assault) and those moments were terrifying me. Finally my body went into full panic mode when I was experiencing a dissassociating episode while driving and now I feel like I'm going to lose my mind. I am terrified to drive and when I have to I bring myself to panic. I keep trying to tell myself that I'm ok but it doesn't help. I am so scared that I'm losing my mind and feel like I can't control it. I have always been anxious but this is the worst. My doctor gave me a prescription for Celexa 20mg and Xanax (sometimes that is the only thing that calms me down enough to drive). I haven't taken the Celexa (I'm scared of the side effects). Does anybody have any advice? Thank you!
Take your meds, hon.  If you have this issue, you have it, and the faster you nip it in the bud, the less likely you are to get permanent neural channels carved that cause you to be fearful when driving.  What you're saying is akin to saying "I have diabetes but I'm afraid to take insulin."  Anxiety problems are about as much a physical issue as diabetes, not a moral issue or a mental state.  Take your meds and talk to your counselor, and do it sooner not later, so you don't get nailed into this reactive pattern.  If you don't have a counselor, get one tomorrow.  The combination of meds, talk therapy and exercise is the 1-2-3 punch for anxiety, and gives you your life back.  Good luck!