Anxiety Community
23k Members

Supposed to start Cymbalta again tomorrow...any suggestions for natural treatment of panic disorder before I go back on?

I started taking Cymbalta last week Monday, had a few of the normal side effects, but was actually feeling pretty great by the end of the week other than an increase in anxiety/feeling like I couldn't sit still/very restless.  Along with that, I could not stop clenching my jaw and it was getting very painful and irritating.  My doctor recommended stopping it for the weekend and restarting on Monday (tomorrow).
Over the weekend, I have been reading up on this med and I'm getting more and more scared of restarting it. I have had very, very bad experiences with any/all meds I have tried for my depression and anxiety other than Ativan, which I take for emergency panic attacks.  I am hearing nothing but bad things about Cymbalta, other than what I read from the company website (of course they're not going to say anything bad!).
The main concern I have right now is the withdrawal symptoms associated with Cymbalta.  My insurance does not cover this med, it's $142 a month, and my doctor said he does not get samples of this very often.  He was able to give me a 1 month supply to start, but said it's likely he won't get much more on a regular basis.  However, despite me telling him I was not able to afford this on a monthly basis, he said he wanted me to try it regardless.  I am afraid I'll restart it, get to the end of my supply, and not be able to afford more and will have to deal with the withdrawal symptoms (he agreed that this is a bad one to come off of).
So here I am debating on whether to start it up again or just live like I am...depressed and dealing with these constant panic attacks.  
I am wondering if anyone knows of any natural products that are known to help with panic disorder and/or anxiety that might be worth trying.  I'm thinking maybe I'll try something like that first and if that doesn't work, I'll give Cymbalta a try again. My depression is not really bad at this point, I just have low motivation, am tired often, restless, have a hard time concentrating, etc. Not suicidal or crying all the time...I can deal with it without meds in other words.  It's the unpredictable panic attacks and constant anxiety that I can not live with any longer that I NEED to get under control.
Suggestions anyone?
. "My depression is not really bad at this point, I just have low motivation, am tired often, restless, have a hard time concentrating, etc. Not suicidal or crying all the time...I can deal with it without meds in other words." (your quote)

I think that you've answered your own question...if you can deal with these issues without meds, I suggest that you go the natural route. It all comes down to a risk/benefit ratio. I think that AD's are needed when a person is seriously depressed and can not function in their every day routine. Can you afford therapy?

You also write that you are having unpredictable panic attacks and constant anxiety - did you describe these to your Dr.? Something like Klonopin or other long-acting drugs for anxiety might help you more. Are you seeing a psychiatrist?